Migrating procedure

Old September 25th 04, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

Default Migrating procedure

In a case of dissatisfaction with an ISP, do they have to release your
line or can you just sign up with another. I am ignoring for the sake of
this any payment that might have to be paid to end the contract.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old September 25th 04, 01:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"David G" [email protected] wrote in message

In a case of dissatisfaction with an ISP, do they have to release your
line or can you just sign up with another. I am ignoring for the sake
of this any payment that might have to be paid to end the contract.

Your current ISP have to give you something called a "MAC" code which you
have to give to your new ISP to migrate.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumer_gui...m_cop/?a=87101 may be helpful.

Regards
Sunil

Old September 25th 04, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumer_gui...m_cop/?a=87101 may be helpful.

Thanks for that. Looks like signing up for Virgin and switching should be
easy enough for someone wanting ADSL for the first time... though I expect
Virgin would make them "jump through hoops" :-) Peter M.
Old September 25th 04, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

Sunil Sood wrote:

"David G" [email protected] wrote in message

In a case of dissatisfaction with an ISP, do they have to release your
line or can you just sign up with another. I am ignoring for the sake
of this any payment that might have to be paid to end the contract.

Your current ISP have to give you something called a "MAC" code which you
have to give to your new ISP to migrate.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumer_gui...m_cop/?a=87101 may be helpful.

Regards
Sunil

Thanks for explaining that. It is not yet an issue (waiting for
connection) but useful to know the procedure.

Looking at the link you gave it is interesting to note that PlusNet have
not apparently signed up to the Code of Practice.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old September 25th 04, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Edgar

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:00:32 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

"David G" [email protected] wrote in message

In a case of dissatisfaction with an ISP, do they have to release your
line or can you just sign up with another. I am ignoring for the sake
of this any payment that might have to be paid to end the contract.

Your current ISP have to give you something called a "MAC" code which you
have to give to your new ISP to migrate.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumer_gui...m_cop/?a=87101 may be helpful.

Regards
Sunil

I am in the process of "migrating" from BTYahoo to Central Point. The
latter said something about not being able to use "MACs" until next
year. Do you know what they are talking about?
John
In limine sapientiae
Old September 25th 04, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"John Edgar" wrote in message

I am in the process of "migrating" from BTYahoo to Central Point. The
latter said something about not being able to use "MACs" until next
year. Do you know what they are talking about?

Yes - there are two circumstances where you can't use the "migration"
procedure.

1. You can't migrate from/to a different speed service (512K--1MB with a
different ISP)

2. Most ISP's use something called IPStream to carry their IP traffic from
the BT exchange to themselves. Other ISP's use something called DataStream
(if you google this group I have posted what these are before)

Currently IPStream--IPStream migrations (which cover the vast majority of
users) are allowed under the migration system

However, Central Point use DataStream so you would need a IPStream (BT
Yahoo)--DataStream migration - these won't be available (for end users)
from BT Wholesale until later this year...

Regards
Sunil

Old September 26th 04, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Edgar

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:30:16 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

"John Edgar" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you very much - very succinct and to the point. I am migrating
the same speed - 1MB to 1MB.

John
In limine sapientiae
Old December 15th 04, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon

Sunil Sood wrote:
"John Edgar" wrote in message

[...]

Is the DataStream - IPStream migration process working now? I'm
planning to migrate from Gio Internet to OneTel. I phoned Gio and they
were happy to give me a MAC number, but mentioned that they were using
DataStream and if I wanted to migrate to an IPStream service, it would
have to be a disconnect/reconnect job. I phoned OneTel to ask what they
used and they told me IPStream. When I told them my current provider
was using DataStream they said that isn't a problem.

Old December 16th 04, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Simon" wrote in message
ups.com
Is the DataStream - IPStream migration process working now? I'm
planning to migrate from Gio Internet to OneTel. I phoned Gio and they
were happy to give me a MAC number, but mentioned that they were using
DataStream and if I wanted to migrate to an IPStream service, it would
have to be a disconnect/reconnect job. I phoned OneTel to ask what
they used and they told me IPStream. When I told them my current
provider was using DataStream they said that isn't a problem.

Its not yet available for individual end users. However, if ISP's are moving
several people (i.e. in "bulk") from one DataStream provider to IPStream it
is.

Personally, I would say you would have to do a disconnect/reconnect job if
you want to move to Onetel.

It should be available soon though I think.(early next year perhaps)

Regards
Sunil