Using the Syslog with a Draytek Vigor 2600

Old September 25th 04, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default Using the Syslog with a Draytek Vigor 2600

Can anyone point me to a website other than Draytek that has a dummies guide
to using the syslog function with the above router. Command line operation
is definitely a blind spot of mine!

Gee Six Jay N Ess at spamcop.net

Old September 25th 04, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Windows XP Pro

Gee Six Jay N Ess at spamcop.net
"Brian Morrison" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:51:44 +0100, in article
"Peter Crosland"
wrote:

Can anyone point me to a website other than Draytek that has a dummies
guide
to using the syslog function with the above router. Command line
operation
is definitely a blind spot of mine!

Are you using Windows or another OS?

--

Brian Morrison

please observe reply-to address

Old September 26th 04, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Lee

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:23:46 +0100, Peter Crosland wrote:

Windows XP Pro

Syslog is a cetralised logging method pioneered by BSD UNIX, which
probably explains the silence from other XP users.

You will need to get a syslog network listener program (daemon) for XP to
scoop up the messages from the Draytek box, and tell the Draytek box the IP
address of your XP machine.

I suggest you key in: syslog windows
at a Google search prompt and look for a suitable program. You're on
your own then, as I'm a Linux user it just works out of the box.

HTH

Eric Lee
Old September 26th 04, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 09:05:33 +0100, Eric Lee
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:23:46 +0100, Peter Crosland wrote:

Windows XP Pro

Syslog is a cetralised logging method pioneered by BSD UNIX, which
probably explains the silence from other XP users.

You will need to get a syslog network listener program (daemon) for XP to
scoop up the messages from the Draytek box, and tell the Draytek box the IP
address of your XP machine.

I suggest you key in: syslog windows
at a Google search prompt and look for a suitable program. You're on
your own then, as I'm a Linux user it just works out of the box.

HTH

Eric Lee

I have syslog woking on my Xp Pro SP1 machine from the Draytek unit.
just by loading the supplementary software from the supplied CD; you
need to enable the feature in the configuration panel of he Draytek
unit and then add the IP address of the machine I wanted the results
to go to.

The software leaves an icon on the desktop to fire it up. It works
just fine without any need to go off into the wild with Google to find
any software although some instruction book that help you understand
some of the less obvious pieces of information that appears would be
nice.

David Bradley
Old September 26th 04, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

There is a syslog utility that runs on Windows provided by Draytek
themselves. I think that you need to download the router tools for the
2600, look he

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/dow...s253_V2600.zip

Thanks for that Brian (and others) for your help. Works a treat. I bought
the router second-hand and it came without a CD. Windows XP installed all
the necessary items.

Old September 26th 04, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob Watt

In article , says...

There is a syslog utility that runs on Windows provided by Draytek
themselves. I think that you need to download the router tools for the
2600, look he

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/dow...s253_V2600.zip

Thanks for that Brian (and others) for your help. Works a treat. I bought
the router second-hand and it came without a CD. Windows XP installed all
the necessary items.

And if you get tired of the limited flexibility of the Draytek offering,
download the free Kiwi Syslog Daemon from http://www.kiwisyslog.com

Rob

Old September 26th 04, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Thanks.