Net Meter v DU Meter

Old October 13th 04, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linedancer

Default Net Meter v DU Meter

I have downloaded both Net Meter, and DU Meter which is on a months trial,
Net Meter desn't seem to give much information and there are no help pages,
do you think it is worth paying for DU Meter ?

Or are there any more free ones worth trying ?
TIA

Păt

Old October 13th 04, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frank Stacey

"Linedancer" wrote in message
I have downloaded both Net Meter, and DU Meter which is on a months trial,
Net Meter desn't seem to give much information and there are no help

pages,
do you think it is worth paying for DU Meter ?

Păt

I used Net Meter - seems to give all the information you (one?) could want?

--
Frank

Old October 13th 04, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RChick

"Frank Stacey" wrote in message

"Linedancer" wrote in message
I have downloaded both Net Meter, and DU Meter which is on a months
trial,
Net Meter desn't seem to give much information and there are no help

pages,
do you think it is worth paying for DU Meter ?

Păt

I used Net Meter - seems to give all the information you (one?) could
want?

--
Frank

Without trying to state the obvious have you right clicked on the little
red/green arrows in your notification icons in the bottom corner of your
screen when running Netmeter. If you do that and then click Totals it gives
you all the possible data you need.

Roy

Old October 13th 04, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linedancer

RChick wrote:

Without trying to state the obvious have you right clicked on the
little red/green arrows in your notification icons in the bottom
corner of your screen when running Netmeter. If you do that and then
click Totals it gives you all the possible data you need.

Roy

Yes I have done that, it gives the totals I know, it doesn't run unless you
open it though does it ?

DU meter runs all the time and gives daily, weekly, monthly reports etc.the
totals include data received today and data received since it started
running, it tells you how many hours online too.

Maybe that's not all necessary, I am just running a check on my usage prior
to getting broadband, and I want to be able to check it when I am on
broadband, then I can make sure I don't go over my 3gb a month
--
Păt

Old October 13th 04, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
manckevin

"Linedancer" wrote in message
| RChick wrote:
|

| Without trying to state the obvious have you right clicked on the
| little red/green arrows in your notification icons in the bottom
| corner of your screen when running Netmeter. If you do that and then
| click Totals it gives you all the possible data you need.
|
| Roy
|
| Yes I have done that, it gives the totals I know, it doesn't run unless
you
| open it though does it ?

Right click Options

Checking - load on Windows Startup, as well as close to tray

keeps it running in the background and automatically starts logging as soon
as I connect.

Old October 13th 04, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linedancer

manckevin wrote:

Right click Options

Checking - load on Windows Startup, as well as close to tray

keeps it running in the background and automatically starts logging
as soon as I connect.

Thanks for that :-)
--
Păt

Old October 13th 04, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

RChick wrote:

: Without trying to state the obvious have you right clicked on the little
: red/green arrows in your notification icons in the bottom corner of your
: screen when running Netmeter. If you do that and then click Totals it gives
: you all the possible data you need.

I only tried Netmeter briefly and it generally seemed very good...EXCEPT
that I wanted it to itemize traffic on my ADSL link only - not local
inter-machine traffic on my router (which would also appear as traffic on
my Ethernet card) - basically all EXCEPT 192.168.*.*.

I do not know if I missed this or if dumeter can do it.
Old October 14th 04, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Raven

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
RChick wrote:

: Without trying to state the obvious have you right clicked on the little
: red/green arrows in your notification icons in the bottom corner of your
: screen when running Netmeter. If you do that and then click Totals it gives
: you all the possible data you need.

I only tried Netmeter briefly and it generally seemed very good...EXCEPT
that I wanted it to itemize traffic on my ADSL link only - not local
inter-machine traffic on my router (which would also appear as traffic on
my Ethernet card) - basically all EXCEPT 192.168.*.*.

I do not know if I missed this or if dumeter can do it.

On the Netmeter Options/General tab you can select the network interface
to monitor. Just choose the appropriate network adapter from the drop
down list.

Most of these options can be simply found with a right click and no more
than two minutes clicking through the tabs. Is a manual really needed
for that?

Tony
Old October 14th 04, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Tony Raven wrote:

: On the Netmeter Options/General tab you can select the network interface
: to monitor. Just choose the appropriate network adapter from the drop
: down list.

That doesn't work! Local traffic (within the LAN) *AND* ADSL Internet traffic
share the SAME Ethernet interface - and cannot be separated.

: Most of these options can be simply found with a right click and no more
: than two minutes clicking through the tabs. Is a manual really needed
: for that?

But you obviously don't understand it at all!!!
Old October 15th 04, 07:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
Tony Raven wrote:

On the Netmeter Options/General tab you can select the network
interface to monitor. Just choose the appropriate network adapter
from the drop down list.

That doesn't work! Local traffic (within the LAN) *AND* ADSL Internet
traffic share the SAME Ethernet interface - and cannot be separated.

Most of these options can be simply found with a right click and no
more than two minutes clicking through the tabs. Is a manual really
needed
for that?

But you obviously don't understand it at all!!!

DU Meter does not distinguish between Internet and LAN traffic. I use a
modem/router. Not sure that I know of a prog that counts traffic on the
internet connection of a modem/router if Netmeter does not. I've three PCs
networked so I'm not sure how one of them would know about Internet traffic
to the other two.