Belkin desktop wireless card problem

Old October 15th 04, 10:33 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

Default Belkin desktop wireless card problem

My daughter's PC was working fine using a Belkin wireless desktop card to my
Belkin wireless router/modem.

But she had a problem on her PC and I had to reformat the HD and reinstalled
Windows (XP SP2).

Since I installed her PC I cannot get the wireless card to work.

I have removed the card (as per the instructions), installed the (original)
software from CD, installed the card - and Windows detected a network card
and seemed to install the driver.

The Belkin wireless icon is now appearing in the system tray - but it's
red - and nothing I do will make it go green.

The odd thing is, when I select the icon it finds my home network OK (it's
listed under available networks). But when I try to connect - nothing.

Any ideas? It's definitely not the wireless card since I have a spare one
and both display the same symptoms.

Do I have to do something to connect to the wireless network?

Cheers.

Bobby

Old October 15th 04, 11:33 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Doug Jamal

If I'm not mistaken, you stated that you reinstalled the software from
the CD that came with the pc card. Right? It is possible that the
Belkin Configuration Utility is conflicting with the Windows Wireless
Zero Configuration Utility. If that is indeed the case, you will have
to decide which utility you want to use and disable the other one. I
suggest using the one that came with the card. To disable the windows
WZC, click START, RUN and type SERVICES.MSC and press the enter key.
Scroll down the list of services until you see WIRELESS ZERO
CONFIGURATION. Double click on it. Under the GENERAL tab, croll down
until you see SERVICE STATUS. If is states STARTED, then click on the
STOP button. Afterwards, look above the SERVICE STATUS line. You
should see STARTUP TYPE. Using the down arrow to the right of it,
click on DISABLE. You are now done. Let us know whether or not these
instructions solved your dilemma. Take care.

Old October 16th 04, 10:44 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

Thanks Doug, I'll certainly give that a try.

But I *did* disable the "let Windows handle this card" check box so maybe
this is the same thing?

Anyway, I'll give your suggestion a try and let you know how I get on. I'm
at my wits end.

Bobby

Old October 16th 04, 02:46 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Johnson

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:33:38 +0100, "Bobby" wrote:

My daughter's PC was working fine using a Belkin wireless desktop card to my
Belkin wireless router/modem.

But she had a problem on her PC and I had to reformat the HD and reinstalled
Windows (XP SP2).

Since I installed her PC I cannot get the wireless card to work.

Did you remember to configure her pc for your network (System
Properties/Computer Name)?
Old October 17th 04, 05:43 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Secret S

"Bobby" wrote in message
Thanks Doug, I'll certainly give that a try.

But I *did* disable the "let Windows handle this card" check box so maybe
this is the same thing?

When I set up my Belkin kit, I allowed windows to manage the wireless
network, and it works perfectly.

**SS**

---

Old October 18th 04, 11:20 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
DMac

Do I have to do something to connect to the wireless network?

did you have WEP switched on before - do you need to enter a network key to
your daughter's pc?

Old October 18th 04, 01:39 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

No, I have no security on the network and none (that I know of) on my
daughter's machine.

How do I check?

Bobby

.uk...

Old October 31st 04, 06:20 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
T. Robinson

I don't know if the problem is related, but I have have a similar setup
and found that I could only get the network working when logged on as a
user with admin rights. Are you able to get it working if you use such a
user?