true or false

Old November 6th 04, 02:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DH

Default true or false

Seen on another NG

I have broadband but need to use a dial up connection once a month to keep
some of old my
emails live.

In the past I have simply reconnected the dial up modem to the telephone
line, used it for a while and all is well.

Now I have been told that the a broadband activated line MUST not be used
for this purpose as it will burn out the modem.

Anyone know if this is correct

Ignoring the fact that this is probably just an SMTP issue for the email.

Is there any truth in the burn out modem point, if so which modem, some how
I doubt it as there would be fused fax machines around the UK otherwise.

Old November 6th 04, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 6 Nov 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Grant" wrote:

when the ADSL is (not infrequently) down.

Claranet or some other ? Sorry, have you had long running probs with
a long distance to exchange or similar ? I can think of only one of
my clients (happily using Zen) who has had lots of disconnections,
and he's at the end of the village with a rotten line, but he himself
is apparently unaware of the disconnections, whereas the router stats
showed it as being very dropout prone. Peter M.

Old November 6th 04, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Now I have been told that the a broadband activated line MUST not be

used
for this purpose as it will burn out the modem.

Anyone know if this is correct

Complete cobblers. Take no notice.

Old November 6th 04, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin

"Chris" [email protected] wrote in message

Now I have been told that the a broadband activated line MUST not be

used
for this purpose as it will burn out the modem.

Anyone know if this is correct

Complete cobblers. Take no notice.

Agree, and add that a dial up modem on an ADSL enabled line will get low
connection speeds.
Colin

Old November 8th 04, 01:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DH

"Colin" wrote in message

"Chris" [email protected] wrote in message

Now I have been told that the a broadband activated line MUST not be

used
for this purpose as it will burn out the modem.

Anyone know if this is correct

Complete cobblers. Take no notice.

Agree, and add that a dial up modem on an ADSL enabled line will get low
connection speeds.
Colin

Low speeds on ADSL or Dialup?

Does that mean a fax machine will slow things up on ADSL?

Fax Machine or Faxmodem on PC that is.

Or does the Modem Speed make a difference.

Doe the modem have to be live or just connected/wired up?

I have not seen this talked about.

Old November 8th 04, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 01:34:20 -0000, "DH" wrote:

Does that mean a fax machine will slow things up on ADSL?
Fax Machine or Faxmodem on PC that is.
Or does the Modem Speed make a difference.
Doe the modem have to be live or just connected/wired up?
I have not seen this talked about.

my analogue modem will fax happily and make data calls at 44k over an
active ADSL enabled line.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 8th 04, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DH

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 01:34:20 -0000, "DH" wrote:

Does that mean a fax machine will slow things up on ADSL?
Fax Machine or Faxmodem on PC that is.
Or does the Modem Speed make a difference.
Doe the modem have to be live or just connected/wired up?
I have not seen this talked about.

my analogue modem will fax happily and make data calls at 44k over an
active ADSL enabled line.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Not saying it wont work but earlier posters suggest issues arise, and I am
trying to verify.

Old November 8th 04, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
phantom

"DH" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 01:34:20 -0000, "DH" wrote:

Does that mean a fax machine will slow things up on ADSL?
Fax Machine or Faxmodem on PC that is.
Or does the Modem Speed make a difference.
Doe the modem have to be live or just connected/wired up?
I have not seen this talked about.

my analogue modem will fax happily and make data calls at 44k over an
active ADSL enabled line.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Not saying it wont work but earlier posters suggest issues arise, and I am
trying to verify.

You may experience slower speeds with the analogue modem, but the DSL part
should be unaffected.