ntl routing strangeness - possible user error :)

Old November 8th 04, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

Default ntl routing strangeness - possible user error :)

Hi all,

I've jus noticed, for the first time in ~3 years of ntl broadband,
that my outbound traffic is being routed thus:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.1.5.1 (my router)
2 9 ms 8 ms 11 ms 10.143.143.254 (Odd entry)
[...]

My subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.

This doesn't seem too right to me, is something wrong? I suppose it's
a coincidence that my net access also seems pretty slow tonight.

Don't get me wrong - there's no reason for it to be odd other than
I've never seen that hop in the trace route before and things are a
bit on the slow side tonight.

Cheers

Richard
Old November 8th 04, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article ,
Richard Sobey wrote:
I've jus noticed, for the first time in ~3 years of ntl broadband,
that my outbound traffic is being routed thus:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.1.5.1 (my router)
2 9 ms 8 ms 11 ms 10.143.143.254 (Odd entry)

Yes, ntl: changed the addressing scheme some time back. The first hop
after your router/PC used to be a non-private address whereas set-top box
users had a 10.0.0.0/8 uBR (universal broadband router - the "other end"
from the cable modem) address. About 3-4 months ago they seem to have
changed the stand-alone cable modems' uBR range to 10/8 as well.

This doesn't seem too right to me, is something wrong? I suppose it's
a coincidence that my net access also seems pretty slow tonight.

Yup - most likely the change happened ages ago and you only just noticed
because you were looking for something to explain the slowness.

Zane.