Wireless: Problems switching networks!

Old November 8th 04, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mark

Default Wireless: Problems switching networks!

This is driving me mad........

I have 2 phone lines, 1 router on each, 1 ADSL connection on each(freeserve
& bulldog). I'm using Negear ADSL Routers. 1 x WG834M & 1 x DG824M. So one
network is a G, the other is B. Networks on set on different channels....

My problem comes from trying to switch between the networks. Let's say I've
been on the B(824) network all night, and go to change to G(834). It will
tell me it's changed, I can log into the router but I cannot use the ADSL
connection. I have either go into the router and mess around, reboot it or
whatever, or reboot my PC and then it will work.

The same happens when switching from the G -- B network. It's like the a
HUGE delay, and everytime I want to switch I have to spend 20 minutes
fannying around seeing what's up. Sometimes when I switch I can't even log
into the router @ 192.186.0.1, even though my adaptor tells me I'm
connected.

It seems that whenever I'm in the position of having just switched networks
and find my ADSL not working, if I go into network connections in XP, the
"Internet Connection" status and speed read "not avilable"...

Anyone any ideas, this is driving me up the wall, surely I shouldn't be too
much to expect to switch between two networks and not have to wait 20
minutes for the ADSL to come alive?

regards

Old November 8th 04, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , mark
writes
[...]

I assume you mean 192.168.0.1

It seems that whenever I'm in the position of having just switched networks
and find my ADSL not working, if I go into network connections in XP, the
"Internet Connection" status and speed read "not avilable"...

Anyone any ideas, this is driving me up the wall, surely I shouldn't be too
much to expect to switch between two networks and not have to wait 20
minutes for the ADSL to come alive?

regards

Probably something to do with DHCP addresses. I assume you have both
routers set up as DHCP servers? I suspect what is happening is that when
you switch networks, the "new" router does not acknowledge the existence
of the IP address that the "old" router has given to your PC.

Until it all times out (or you reboot either the PC or the router) and
the new router provides a "new" DHCP address (which may well be the same
numbers) the router doesn't deal with inbound packets for that address
(because it hasn't handed it out - it isn't in the routing table.)

Try (after switching networks) at a command prompt

a) Renewing the DHCP lease (ipconfig/renew)
b) flushing the DNS cache (ipconfig/flushdns)

If that works then unless you NEED DHCP I suggest turning it off and
allocating fixed addresses.

Regards
--
Peter R Cook
Old November 9th 04, 12:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

mark wrote:

[...]

Are your routers acting as DHCP servers - and does the PC get a different IP
address allocated from each? This could be waht's confusing it.

Do both routers have similar (but different, of course!) IP addreses. If so,
you could try giving your wireless connection a fixed IP address in the same
range, and specify the 2 router IPs as gateway addresses. [You should be
able to add more than one gateway by going into the TCP/IP settings and
clicking on Advanced]

Hopefully, then, if you switch networks should should have immediate
internet access.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old November 9th 04, 01:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"mark" wrote in message
This is driving me mad........

I have 2 phone lines, 1 router on each, 1 ADSL connection on
each(freeserve
& bulldog). I'm using Negear ADSL Routers. 1 x WG834M & 1 x DG824M. So
one
network is a G, the other is B. Networks on set on different
channels....

I'm curious, why two lines with ADSL on each..? Can't you share a common
ADSL connection between both networks..?

Ivor

Old November 9th 04, 09:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:57:31 -0000, "mark" wrote:

Anyone any ideas, this is driving me up the wall, surely I shouldn't be too
much to expect to switch between two networks and not have to wait 20
minutes for the ADSL to come alive?

is it any better if you Disable the connection from Network
connections and then Enable it, selecting the other network when it
comes to connect.

I'm thinking the TCP/IP is full of DNS server and home gateway
addresses from the other network.

Do IPCONFIG /ALL from a command line prompt and you may see what's
going off during the 20 minute delay period.

Doing "repair" on the connection after switching nets may also resolve
it. There is LAN switching software available to load the different
sets of IP addresses, gateways, DNS servers "on demand" rather than
relying on DHCP - that may help too

http://www.netswitcher.com/product_info.htm
http://www.soft411.com/company/K-Hof...tiPlugMate.htm

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 9th 04, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

In within
uk.telecom.broadband, 'Ivor Jones' wrote:

I'm curious, why two lines with ADSL on each..? Can't you share a common
ADSL connection between both networks..?

Apart from the fact that one of them is supplied by Bulldog you mean..

--
Dave Johnson -
Old November 9th 04, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 09 Nov 2004 Phil Thompson wrote:

I'm thinking the TCP/IP is full of DNS server and home gateway
addresses from the other network.

I know it will be frowned on by those who advocate wireless as their solution
for everything, but simply wiring the two wireless routers together could get
over this (but might run into security issues depending on the reasons for 2
connections). Simply swapping gateway from router 1 to router 2 on the XP PC
would then have data going via the 'other' ADSL connection. I use both from
my (XP) PCs while the older Win 98 and Win 95 PCs would need a reboot to let
me switch from one ISP to the other (so I leave them locked to one ISP).

On my PCs, I don't use DHCP, and give DNS entries which answer via either ISP
so as to avoid needing to change (again, this might be inconvenient if one is
a business intranet via one service, but without knowing, I just felt it will
offer some hope to someone else thinking about multiple ISP links... cable to
link the two wireless routers is under 50p a metre :-) Peter M.

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Old November 9th 04, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:30:26 +0000, poster
wrote:

but simply wiring the two wireless routers together could get
over this

good point, separate the issues of wireless provision from those over
external connectivity. One AP to get you on the LAN, two WAN
connections to route over.

Phil
Old November 9th 04, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 09 Nov 2004, Phil Thompson wrote:

separate the issues of wireless provision from those over external
connectivity. One AP to get you on the LAN, two WAN connections
to route over.

Exactly... but 'inelegant' in some eyes :-) Really depends if the
faster AP is needed for file transfers between systems on the LAN,
and if not, then as low as 11 Mbps is enough :-) Peter M.