BT postcode problem

Old November 9th 04, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eddie

Default BT postcode problem

I've recently moved in to a newly-built apartment block - so newly-built
that most websites don't recognise the postcode, and BT had an invalid
postcode recorded for the address.

I'm trying to order a broadband connection via Nildram, but every time
they submit the ADSL connection order to BT, it gets bounced back saying
that the postcode is incorrect.

I've phoned up BT customer services each time it got bounced back. The
first time, they changed the invoice address postcode, which didn't help
because the order is placed against the installation address.

The second time, they changed the installation address postcode -
although at one point they insisted they'd have to do a stop-start
service in order to do this.

Nildram have resubmitted the order, and BT have bounced it back *again*.
I've phoned BT customer services again, and they assure me that the only
addresses they have for this line are the invoice address and
installation address.

I suspect that the BT's ADSL order-handling department are looking at a
different set of address records, but I don't know how to go about
getting them to change it.

Any suggestions for getting this sorted?
Old November 9th 04, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:41:15 +0000, Eddie wrote:

Any suggestions for getting this sorted?

Is there a "site office" postcode. Perhaps when you purchased the
place you would have seen it on paperwork? This may be different than
your ultimate postcode but since a site office would have been there
for many months it might be worth using that.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old November 9th 04, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eddie

Hiram Hackenbacker wrote:

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:41:15 +0000, Eddie wrote:

Any suggestions for getting this sorted?

Is there a "site office" postcode. Perhaps when you purchased the
place you would have seen it on paperwork? This may be different than
your ultimate postcode but since a site office would have been there
for many months it might be worth using that.

Well, I know the (invalid) postcode that was on the invoice and
installation addresses, before I got them changed. This is also the same
postcode that BT's ADSL provisioning department seem to have on their
records.

The implication from Nildram is that I need to get BT to change their
records, rather than getting Nildram to resubmit the order with the
incorrect postcode.
Old November 9th 04, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 11:15:25 +0000, Eddie wrote:

Well, I know the (invalid) postcode that was on the invoice and
installation addresses, before I got them changed. This is also the same
postcode that BT's ADSL provisioning department seem to have on their
records.

Use another nearby postcode?

The implication from Nildram is that I need to get BT to change their
records, rather than getting Nildram to resubmit the order with the
incorrect postcode.

Fair enough, enjoy the wait.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old November 9th 04, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MA

"Eddie" wrote in message
I've recently moved in to a newly-built apartment block - so newly-built
that most websites don't recognise the postcode, and BT had an invalid
postcode recorded for the address.

Any suggestions for getting this sorted?

Have you asked the royal Mail as well to make sure it's in their latest
postal address file?

Old November 9th 04, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed

Eddie wrote:
[...]

Maybe check with some of your other neighbours in the block to see if
they are using any different postcode.

Ed
Old November 9th 04, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Eddie wrote:
[...]

Check the number using the www.metronet.co.uk checker and see what
postcode it returns there.

JP
Old November 9th 04, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eddie

John wrote:
Eddie wrote:

Any suggestions for getting this sorted?

Check the number using the www.metronet.co.uk checker and see what
postcode it returns there.

The correct one.[1]

Maybe it's finally filtered through the umpteen layers of system that
lie between the part of BT that I spoke to and the part of BT that
Nildram spoke to... we can but wait and see.

[1] Useful, that - didn't know there was a way to find a postcode from a
phone number for free.
Old November 9th 04, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 14:07:39 +0000, John wrote:

Check the number using the www.metronet.co.uk checker and see what
postcode it returns there.

excellent suggestion - http://www.metronet.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker
you can order it from them using the postcode they expect

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 9th 04, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eddie

MA wrote:

"Eddie" wrote in message

Any suggestions for getting this sorted?

Have you asked the royal Mail as well to make sure it's in their latest
postal address file?

I checked using their online postcode/address finder: the correct
postcode is shown for our building; the invalid one (that Nildram say BT
have on their records) isn't listed.