sharing broadband (but not files!)

Old November 9th 04, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lee

Default sharing broadband (but not files!)

hi

i have a desktop pc (with xp home) that doesnt yet have broadband
access. i also have someone in the house who i would like to share the
broadband access with, but not anything else (files, etc). Is it
possible to have one broadband line coming in, then have the desktop
and the laptop able to access the internet at any time (inc at same
time) without having the laptop access any of my data, or indeed me
able to see what is on his laptop.

I've had a look on the web for solutions and have been considering
buying a wireless router and 2 wireless network cards for the pc and
laptop, but then it seems i have to put the 2 in a network for them to
be able to share the broadband internet access through the router -
and this is the bit that worries me.

oh, a side question - does the router stay connected to the internet
permanently? what happens if the line drops for whatever reason?

thanks in advance. lee
Old November 9th 04, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 9 Nov 2004 02:44:02 -0800, (Lee) wrote:

then it seems i have to put the 2 in a network for them to be able to
share the broadband internet access through the router - and this is
the bit that worries me.

You can have a load of PCs sharing the internet connection (I'd put a
cable to one of them, however, not use wireless exclusively, unless it
really is awkward to have the router somewhere near one PC)... Having
them with similar IP addresses is one thing, but they won't share any
files or printers unless you explicitly allow it. All they need to see
is the router. In my setup, I have a number of PCs, but I've set them
up with various IP addresses (rather than using DHCP at the router to
allocate addresses) and they don't ever need to know the others exist!
Use Windows help on 'sharing' and you will see you need to act to make
it possible, and the questions from people having probs sharing should
take away any fears IMO :-)

oh, a side question - does the router stay connected to the internet
permanently? what happens if the line drops for whatever reason?

Most routers can be set to reconnect automatically. A timeout of "0"
should sort that part. Peter M.

Depends on account that is opened by new customer, but good value ISP IMO.
Old November 9th 04, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On 9 Nov 2004 02:44:02 -0800, (Lee) wrote:

i have a desktop pc (with xp home) that doesnt yet have broadband
access. i also have someone in the house who i would like to share the
broadband access with, but not anything else (files, etc). Is it
possible to have one broadband line coming in, then have the desktop
and the laptop able to access the internet at any time (inc at same
time) without having the laptop access any of my data, or indeed me
able to see what is on his laptop.

I've had a look on the web for solutions and have been considering
buying a wireless router and 2 wireless network cards for the pc and
laptop, but then it seems i have to put the 2 in a network for them to
be able to share the broadband internet access through the router -
and this is the bit that worries me.

You do not need to place the two PC's in the same network workgroup to
share a router based connection. Putting them in the same workgroups
makes data sharing easier. However they will most likely be on the
same local network, using IP addresses from the same subnet.

oh, a side question - does the router stay connected to the internet
permanently? what happens if the line drops for whatever reason?

Normally the router automatically reconnects for you.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker