Broadband upgrade not working

Old November 9th 04, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Powell

Default Broadband upgrade not working

I took advantage of an offer and decided to upgrade my ADSL connection from
512k to 2048k - trouble is since then I have not been able to connect!

It appears that the internet company has made all the changes and the signal
is arriving chez moi but my modem (in a Netgear DG834) will not synchronize.
Oddly enough I can now hear high-pitched noises over the phone line as the
modem tries to sync.

Any clues as to what I should be asking the telecom provider to do? A
neighbour ended up having an extra filter fitted to his line that cost him
150! Should I ask for gain up, gain down; attenuation increased? Am
trying to avoid an engineer call out that they tell me will cost 50 -
should I just go back to 512k? Or would 1024 be possible?

Thanks in advance....

Old November 10th 04, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

I took advantage of an offer and decided to upgrade my ADSL connection

from
512k to 2048k - trouble is since then I have not been able to connect!

It appears that the internet company has made all the changes and the

signal
is arriving chez moi but my modem (in a Netgear DG834) will not

synchronize.
Oddly enough I can now hear high-pitched noises over the phone line as the
modem tries to sync.

Any clues as to what I should be asking the telecom provider to do? A
neighbour ended up having an extra filter fitted to his line that cost him
150! Should I ask for gain up, gain down; attenuation increased? Am
trying to avoid an engineer call out that they tell me will cost 50 -
should I just go back to 512k? Or would 1024 be possible?

Thanks in advance....

Have you tried disconnecting ALL analogue devices. If you can, disconnect
all extension wiring and plug the modem in at the test socket in the
linebox?

What is the line length from the exchange?

I am most interested in your neighbours 150GBP filter!
Can you post type / model etc.

--
Graham.

Profound_observation%

Old November 10th 04, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Adrian Powell wrote:

I took advantage of an offer and decided to upgrade my ADSL
connection from 512k to 2048k - trouble is since then I have not been
able to connect!

It appears that the internet company has made all the changes and the
signal is arriving chez moi but my modem (in a Netgear DG834) will
not synchronize. Oddly enough I can now hear high-pitched noises over
the phone line as the modem tries to sync.

Any clues as to what I should be asking the telecom provider to do? A
neighbour ended up having an extra filter fitted to his line that
cost him 150! Should I ask for gain up, gain down; attenuation
increased? Am trying to avoid an engineer call out that they tell me
will cost 50 - should I just go back to 512k? Or would 1024 be
possible?

Thanks in advance....

It's probably a filter problem. The acid test is whether or not it will
synch when the router is connected directly to the line, via the internal
socket in the master socket with the faceplate removed. This eliminates the
effect of your extension wiring and analog phone/fax equipment. If this
works, you need some better filters - probably in the form of a filtered
faceplate rather than plug-in filters. If it doesn't, there's a problem with
the line - which you need to ask your ISP to get BT to fix for you.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old November 10th 04, 01:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Powell

The ADSL line only has one socket in the house, I have a small filter on
that for the adsl signal and then there is a phone and a modem connection
into that. I can certainly try removing the analogue stuff to see if that
makes a difference...

Trouble is that this connection is in France so am dealing with France
Telecom rather than BT - I am asking the question here as my french
struggles a bit with technical telephony (to say the least!) FT are a bit
like BT where a few years back, not the easiest organisation to deal with!

Second trouble is I am in China at the moment with my wife left at home to
try and sort this out - so I will try and get her to try any suggestions
whilst I am gone. We usually use messenger to keep in touch whilst I am
away so having no broadband means we have to pay phone charges instead!

Will let you know if unplugging the analogue devices makes a difference. If
it doesn't - what can I try next?

TIA
Adrian

Old November 10th 04, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 02:19:10 +0100, "Adrian Powell"
wrote:

Will let you know if unplugging the analogue devices makes a difference. If
it doesn't - what can I try next?

a different modem, do you have an old one supplied with the connection
perhaps. Borrow one, or buy one off Ebay.

Did you note any line statistics when it was runing 512k, these would
give us a clue. The Netgear needed to be on 1.0.5 firmware before the
stats were available.

If it still won't sync dropping back to 1M (if available) would make
sense. Each doubling of speed needs ~6 dB more SNR so if you had 14 dB
of margin at 512k it would fall to 8 dB at 1M and 2 dB (less than the
required 6 dB) at 2M. In this example 1M would work.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 10th 04, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Powell

Have got the latest firmware - will try with my old USB modem when I get
back at the weekend.. Does the Netgear report the SNR anywhere?
Thanks....

Old November 10th 04, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:21:43 +0100, "Adrian Powell"
wrote:

Does the Netgear report the SNR anywhere?

yes, with latest firmware.

Review at
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...ear-dg834g.asp
has screen shot just above Conclusions - either Diagnostics or Status
off the menu. May not have any data if it won't sync at all. What';s
the USB modem ?

Phil
Old November 10th 04, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Adrian Powell wrote:

Trouble is that this connection is in France so am dealing with France
Telecom rather than BT -

And the further trouble is that few people in UK.telecom.broadband will have
any clue as to how phone lines and ADSL are presented in France - I
certainly haven't!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old November 10th 04, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:29:43 -0000, "Tiscali Tim"
wrote:

Trouble is that this connection is in France so am dealing with France
Telecom rather than BT -

And the further trouble is that few people in UK.telecom.broadband will have
any clue as to how phone lines and ADSL are presented in France - I
certainly haven't!

On the face of it yes - but I have installed and maintain two ADSL
connections in France. France Telecom have normally found me an
English speaking technician.

There are configuration differences, but I wouldn't expect a regrade
for speed purposes to change those.

Perhaps when the OP is back at base he can shed more light on the
matters.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old November 10th 04, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Powell

Have got the wife to try unplugging all analogue sockets, still no joy.

Bizarre thing is, when I spoke to FT last week the technician said he would
hang up, run some tests then call me back. In between putting the phone
down and ringing me back the light on the modem went green - ie
synchronised. However, within a couple of minutes of talking to him it went
back to flashing orange. Will speak to them again on Friday night when I
return, it would just be handy to have some idea of what to say to him!!

Thanks again for all the input here!