Tesco Broadband?

Old November 10th 04, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

Default Tesco Broadband?

Is Tesco Broadband the worst ISP or am I just unlucky? More than 2 weeks
after receiving my modem and having my line activated it still doesn't work.
I have checked the BT website and that says my area doesn't have broadband.
Tesco seems to think otherwise but now doesn't answer their 'helpline' even
though I stay on the phone for over half an hour.

Anyone know how to send back the modem if they won't answer their helpline?

Ian

Old November 10th 04, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 10/11/2004 Ian wrote:

Is Tesco Broadband the worst ISP or am I just unlucky? More than 2
weeks after receiving my modem and having my line activated it still
doesn't work. I have checked the BT website and that says my area
doesn't have broadband. Tesco seems to think otherwise but now
doesn't answer their 'helpline' even though I stay on the phone for
over half an hour.

Anyone know how to send back the modem if they won't answer their
helpline?

Ian

Send it special delivery to the MD at their head office with a polite
letter setting out your problems.

I have given up dealing with call centres and customer service
departments which seem to be staffed by what we would have called
'morons' before this country became so politically correct.

I have followed this route twice recently (my bank and a monitor
manufacturer) and they both took immediate action.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
Posted with XanaNews 1.16.4.6
Old November 10th 04, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Ian" wrote in message
Is Tesco Broadband the worst ISP or am I just unlucky? More than 2 weeks
after receiving my modem and having my line activated it still doesn't

work.
I have checked the BT website and that says my area doesn't have

broadband.
Tesco seems to think otherwise but now doesn't answer their 'helpline'

even
though I stay on the phone for over half an hour.

Anyone know how to send back the modem if they won't answer their

helpline?

I'm with Tesco broadband and it is working fine now, not due to the Support
dept. of Tesco but by the good people here.
Regarding your problem I'm surprised with this, as when I applied to upgrade
from ordinary dial to broadband Tesco sent me an e-mail saying initial
checks with BT showed I should be Ok for Broadband. But they would NOT send
the equipment untill BT had done a complete check. A few days latter
another e-mail came from them saying BT had confirmed all was well, and
equipment came a few days later, I was allso given a BT activation date of
the line. I was not to install untill this happened. It happened on time
and I installed.

So you see why I'm surprised with your case.
If I were you I would ring BT to see if you are activated or when will be.

I and others are very disappionted with the Tesco Broadband Support, in fact
I'm told it is not Tesco but NTL Support who are subcontracted to do this.
I have at least a couple of e-mails into them which they have failed to
responded. From others here it is said they do not respond.

I've written to the Chairman of Tesco about this complete failure of the
Broadband support, I got an aknowlegement from an Executive saying they had
requested a member of Tesco.net to investigate but he has so far failed to
comunicate with me. (Now into 3rd. week).

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group.

Old November 10th 04, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fred

"Ian" wrote in message
Is Tesco Broadband the worst ISP or am I just unlucky? More than 2 weeks
after receiving my modem and having my line activated it still doesn't

work.
I have checked the BT website and that says my area doesn't have

broadband.
Tesco seems to think otherwise but now doesn't answer their 'helpline'

even
though I stay on the phone for over half an hour.

Anyone know how to send back the modem if they won't answer their

helpline?

Ian

We had some problems with Tesco Broadband, but all ok now. I had to wait
about 1.25 hours for a reply on the helpline each time, so just kept the
cordless phone with me as I went about my daily tasks!
What exactly is happening? Have you got microfilters on ALL phone sockets
with anything plugged in?
Have you got an old-fashioned bell on the wall in your house?
Did you install the software BEFORE connecting your modem?
Are both lights on the modem green, and not flashing?
What error are you getting?
Have you put the 'adsl' bit in the username for the connection. The
username is not quite the same as your email address.
You probably already know about all these things, but let me know if I can
be of any further assistance.

Old November 10th 04, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"David" wrote in message

[...]

I had the email from Tesco saying that BT had tested the line and giving me
an activation date. I have tried moving the PC so that I could connect at
the master socket and I have reinstalled the modem software, both on the
advice of Tesco Broadband. I then checked the BT website and for my
telephone number it said I was very unlikely to get BB. For my post code it
said it wasn't available. So why Tesco reckon BT told them it was tested and
working I don't know.

I have contacted BT and they confirm the line is activated, but BT retail
can't test the line as it is now 'owned' by Tesco. Tesco agreed to ask BT
wholesale to test the line over a week ago and I have heard nothing since.

Thanks to all who have replied to my original message.

Ian

Old November 10th 04, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:06:57 -0000, "Ian"
wrote:

I then checked the BT website and for my
telephone number it said I was very unlikely to get BB.

it may have been correct. Have a read at
http://www.yarwell.demon.co.uk/longlines.html

BT don't test anything, they hook it up and you get to test it. The
ISP should now ask for a BT engineer to attend to try to make it work.
You have to ask Tesco to request this (sorry).

The link above will tell you what BT do and you can do the internal
bits yourself, but it will need them to try different pairs etc.

If you can escape from Tesco without declaring the line to have
"failed" and go for Zen Home250 you have a better chance, but try
using the test socket first to see what the "naked" line can do.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 10th 04, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Informer

"Jeff Gaines" wrote

I have given up dealing with call centres and customer service
departments which seem to be staffed by what we would have called
'morons' before this country became so politically correct.

One of the problems with call centre these days is that companies get
blackies and general foreign types to answer the phones.

Old November 10th 04, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert Holdford

"Ian" wrote in message
Is Tesco Broadband the worst ISP or am I just unlucky? More than 2 weeks
after receiving my modem and having my line activated it still doesn't
work. I have checked the BT website and that says my area doesn't have
broadband. Tesco seems to think otherwise but now doesn't answer their
'helpline' even though I stay on the phone for over half an hour.

Anyone know how to send back the modem if they won't answer their
helpline?

Ian

Did have problems with Tesco. But all sorted now. Was the damn modem.
Changed and all is sweet :-)

Bob

Old November 10th 04, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message

it may have been correct. Have a read at
http://www.yarwell.demon.co.uk/longlines.html

BT don't test anything, they hook it up and you get to test it. The
ISP should now ask for a BT engineer to attend to try to make it work.
You have to ask Tesco to request this (sorry).

Thanks for the link. Tesco told me on Tuesday of last week that they would
get the line tested, but so far I haven't heard anything from them or BT.
The last time I managed to get through to Tesco and spoke to yet another
representative he said he didn't know what was happening and to phone
customer services on an 0845 number which was unobtainable. Since then I
haven't been able to contact Tesco BB support. I have so far had 2 emails
ignored too.

I guessed that BT doesn't test anything but links the system up and wiats to
see if anyone complains. I suppose as they now reckon over 99% of phone
lines can get ADSL there isn't much point in testing each one.

Ian

Old November 10th 04, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB.

Ian wrote:
Is Tesco Broadband the worst ISP or am I just unlucky? More than 2
weeks after receiving my modem and having my line activated it still
doesn't work. I have checked the BT website and that says my area
doesn't have broadband. Tesco seems to think otherwise but now
doesn't answer their 'helpline' even though I stay on the phone for
over half an hour.

Ian

To check BT's progress and see whether they've activated see:

https://www.cs-server1.bt.com/hhway-... =YYYYYYYYYYY

- where the 'xxxs' are the a/c no. on your BT bill (2 letters, 8 digits)
and the 'yyys' your phone no. with area code.
Then click on the order no., and you'll get another screen of info.

--
DB.