Very slow upload speed with Tesco Broadband

Old November 10th 04, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Eales

Default Very slow upload speed with Tesco Broadband

I have a customer who is experiencing very slow uploads speed with Tesco
Broadband. even a 22kb attachment times out on their mail servers, yet a
simple text message goes through fine.

I've tried the line on my laptop and it gives the same poor result.

Speedtouch 330
Windows XP Pro SP2
Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express

Standard 512kbs ADSL connection. Download speeds are fine.

Anybody have any ideas? Waited half an hour on Tesco's support line before
giving up.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Old November 10th 04, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:23:56 GMT, "Jonathan Eales"
wrote:

Anybody have any ideas?

what is the upstream sync speed on the modem, on a poor line it may be
as low as 64 kbps

check the MTU settings, don't know what Tesco "need" but small
messages wizzing through and big ones struggling could be an MTU
problem. Google for DrTCP, try setting MTU=1430 and RWIN 13900

line quality most likely issue, or congestion on their datastream
connection at that exchange.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 12th 04, 02:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Eales

Thanks Phil,

Just tried these and they didn't work.

The upload sync speed as reported by Dr. Speedtouch is 288kbps.

I've got the customer to report the problem to BT via Tesco. I suppose we
wait and see what happens. In the meantime he is restricted to writing
small, text only emails.

I've read here that Tesco's support is provided by NTL. That explains the
long wait on the telephone!

Thanks,
Jonathan

Old November 12th 04, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 02:16:46 GMT, "Jonathan Eales"
wrote:

Just tried these and they didn't work.

? you mean they didn't improve it ?

a visit to http://www.netmonitor.org/tools/ttest.php and posting the
results URL (in red) may give a clue or two. This shows the rpevailing
MTU and RWIN values, rather than what one thinks one has set.

Phil
Old November 12th 04, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Eales

Brilliant Phil,

Yes, when I tested the settings as you said below they were totally
different from what you said they should be. So it was back to DrTCP and
change them all again. This time the test worked giving much faster results
and the emails with attachments now work as well.

I can only assume that last time I didn't Save the settings just said OK.

Anyway thanks a lot for fixing this one for me and my customer.

Kind regards,

Old November 12th 04, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:36:13 GMT, "Jonathan Eales"
wrote:

I can only assume that last time I didn't Save the settings just said OK.

another "feature" of DrTCP is that sometimes you put the MTU in
against the wrong adapter. If you do this often Tweakmaster
http://www.tweakmaster.com/?LangID=EN is a massively better tool - use
its "Advanced Optimisation Settings" for tweaking and inbuilt TCP/IP
analyser to see what's going on.

Pleased it worked

Phil