Can I Link 2 WAP's?

Old November 10th 04, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

Default Can I Link 2 WAP's?

I posted this to uk.comp.home-networking but on reflection I think this
may be a more appropriate group.

I have a Linksys wireless-G broadband router that currently just acts
as a WAP and switch, I use ISDN for Internet access.

Broadband is on the way and I think I will get a Draytek wireless
router/modem.

Will it be possible to join the Linksys and Draytek with a cable so
that I can locate the Linksys on one side of the house and the Draytek
on the other to give me better wireless cover? The range of the Linksys
is a bit limited and three walls is enough to kill the signal.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
Posted with XanaNews 1.16.4.6
Old November 10th 04, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kimball K Kinnison

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message

I posted this to uk.comp.home-networking but on reflection I think this
may be a more appropriate group.

I have a Linksys wireless-G broadband router that currently just acts
as a WAP and switch, I use ISDN for Internet access.

Broadband is on the way and I think I will get a Draytek wireless
router/modem.

Will it be possible to join the Linksys and Draytek with a cable so
that I can locate the Linksys on one side of the house and the Draytek
on the other to give me better wireless cover? The range of the Linksys
is a bit limited and three walls is enough to kill the signal.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
Posted with XanaNews 1.16.4.6

Yes I have done this - I have one Wireless Access Point at either end of my
house.
I use the same SSID and same WEP key on both but set them on different
channels.

My notebook using Windows XP and my HP5450 Pocket PC both work fine on this
and chose the strongest signal and happily roam between the two.

Old November 11th 04, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Shaw

"Kimball K Kinnison" wrote in message
[...]

Hmmm, different channels eh? I'll have to try that one. I've got a Draytek
Vigor 2600VG router, and was trying the other night to set up a Linksys
WAP54g to link in my downstairs lan to the upstairs lan. It didnt work, but
i'll give the different channels a try this evening.

Old November 11th 04, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 10/11/2004 Kimball K Kinnison wrote:

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message

[snipped]

Yes I have done this - I have one Wireless Access Point at either end
of my house.
I use the same SSID and same WEP key on both but set them on
different channels.

My notebook using Windows XP and my HP5450 Pocket PC both work fine
on this and chose the strongest signal and happily roam between the
two.

Kimball

Would you mind telling me what WAP kit you are using?

It seems from comments down the thread that Draytek might not be a good
choice?

Old November 11th 04, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 11/11/2004 John Naismith wrote:

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 01:08:58 +0000, John Naismith
wrote:

On 10 Nov 2004 20:18:44 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
wrote:

Will it be possible to join the Linksys and Draytek with a cable
so that I can locate the Linksys on one side of the house and the
Draytek on the other to give me better wireless cover? The range
of the Linksys is a bit limited and three walls is enough to kill
the signal.

I don't believe it is possible with current Draytek firmware.

I haven't actually tried it but there is much wailing and gnashing of
teeth on the Draytek forums whenever any mention of access points is
made. YMMV of course.
--
John Naismith

John

Many thanks for that, you may well have saved me making an expensive
mistake, or at least disappointment!

I have Googled for Draytek forums but would appreciate a link if you
have one.

Old November 11th 04, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 11/11/2004 John Naismith wrote:

On 11 Nov 2004 09:44:00 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
wrote:

I have Googled for Draytek forums but would appreciate a link if you
have one.

Its http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk but you'll have to lie about being
an existing Draytek router user to register. There's also some forums
down under which in a lot of ways are more helpful -
http://forum.draytek.com.au/ - and you don't have to register to view
them.
--
John Naismith

Thanks John.

Plain speaking seems to be a requirement for .au :-)

Old November 11th 04, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

Will it be possible to join the Linksys and Draytek with a cable so
that I can locate the Linksys on one side of the house and the Draytek
on the other to give me better wireless cover? The range of the
Linksys
is a bit limited and three walls is enough to kill the signal.

I don't believe it is possible with current Draytek firmware.

Why would the draytek care or even know if an access point were
connected to it?

I have three APs hanging off a Linksys router (four if you count the one
that's a and g as two).

They use channels 1,6 and 11 and each have the same SSID.

The dual mode one is a Netgear router with the router and DHCP server
disabled, then there is a Buffalo 54g AP and a Compaq AP.
The router does not know that they exist (they are only bridge devices
just like a hub/switch).

HTH.

Old November 11th 04, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kimball K Kinnison

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 10/11/2004 Kimball K Kinnison wrote:

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message

[snipped]

Yes I have done this - I have one Wireless Access Point at either end
of my house.
I use the same SSID and same WEP key on both but set them on
different channels.

My notebook using Windows XP and my HP5450 Pocket PC both work fine
on this and chose the strongest signal and happily roam between the
two.

Kimball

Would you mind telling me what WAP kit you are using?

It seems from comments down the thread that Draytek might not be a good
choice?

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
Posted with XanaNews 1.16.4.6

My first WAP is my D-Link DSL-G604T - this is downstairs next to my desktop.
Upstairs and at the other end of the house at the end of a long RJ45 cable
is a Belkin WAP - works fine.

Old November 11th 04, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Bremner

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:23:54 GMT, "[email protected]"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Will it be possible to join the Linksys and Draytek with a cable so
that I can locate the Linksys on one side of the house and the Draytek
on the other to give me better wireless cover?

I don't believe it is possible with current Draytek firmware.

Why would the draytek care or even know if an access point were
connected to it?

I have three APs hanging off a Linksys router

I have a Linksys AP hanging off a Draytek (Vigor 2600G) router. One
is on Ch1, the other on 11, both use the same SSID. Works a treat!

Al
--
[This space intentionally left blank]