ADSL Modem/Router with DynDNS support

Old November 11th 04, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Resident Drunk

Default ADSL Modem/Router with DynDNS support

Does anyone know if PCWorld stock such a beast ?. It has to be PCW as I need
it tonight and I am not near any Computer Shop

Old November 11th 04, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Resident Drunk wrote:
Does anyone know if PCWorld stock such a beast ?. It has to be PCW as
I need it tonight and I am not near any Computer Shop

My Netgear DG834G appears to provide such support, from the "Dynamic DNS"
configuration page, and even has www.DynDNS.org as the default service
provider. But as I don't use DynDNS myself I don't know how well it works -
I seem to remember reading of a problem somewhere once but that may have
been a one off. I have a fixed IP so it's irrelevant to me.

Old November 11th 04, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 11 Nov 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "Resident Drunk" wrote:

Does anyone know if PCWorld stock such a beast ?. It has to be PCW as I need
it tonight and I am not near any Computer Shop

The Netgear DG814 did this... Don't know about the later models, but might
be an option... and they do have a couple of Netgear models but there's not
enough info on their website to know the actual model numbers, to learn the
fine detail off the specs on the Netgear site, sorry... but there's info to
the effect you will pay up to 30 quid more for the privilege of not buying
off the website :-( Peter M.

Old November 11th 04, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:17:23 -0000, Tiny Tim wrote:

Resident Drunk wrote:
Does anyone know if PCWorld stock such a beast ?. It has to be PCW as
I need it tonight and I am not near any Computer Shop

My Netgear DG834G appears to provide such support, from the "Dynamic DNS"
configuration page, and even has www.DynDNS.org as the default service
provider. But as I don't use DynDNS myself I don't know how well it
works -
I seem to remember reading of a problem somewhere once but that may have
been a one off. I have a fixed IP so it's irrelevant to me.

Hi,

I tried it out on the DG834G a few months back and it worked well, it'd
check your IP and update dyndns within a couple of seconds of connecting.
There were problems with earlier versions of the firmware, but all seems
to be fine on the latest version.

With Regards,

Dave,
Old November 11th 04, 04:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MA

"Resident Drunk" wrote in message
Does anyone know if PCWorld stock such a beast ?. It has to be PCW as I

need
it tonight and I am not near any Computer Shop

the Linksys WAG54G does this.

Old November 11th 04, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colum Mylod

wrote:

Resident Drunk wrote:
Does anyone know if PCWorld stock such a beast ?. It has to be PCW as
I need it tonight and I am not near any Computer Shop

My Netgear DG834G appears to provide such support, from the "Dynamic DNS"
configuration page, and even has www.DynDNS.org as the default service
provider. But as I don't use DynDNS myself I don't know how well it works -

In the older versions it did not work properly but in the later ones
it does.. with a "BUT": it sniffs its WAN IP address and if that has
not changed it does not update dyndns, however dyndns want to be
prodded every 35 days if the IP is the same so they can know you're
still hanging on, and also to motivate us cheepskates to buy
something, *anything* off them so that this 35-day reminder is
removed. This means that if you want it at a proper free price, the
Netgear itself is not enough since it does not have a "Remind dyndns
the IP is the same as before and I'm still here" button.

For this 35-day reminder to be automated, dyndns recommend those
programs that run on a pee cee instead of router s/w. Just a data
point.

--
New anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com
Old November 11th 04, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Colum Mylod wrote:
: something, *anything* off them so that this 35-day reminder is
: removed. This means that if you want it at a proper free price, the
: Netgear itself is not enough since it does not have a "Remind dyndns
: the IP is the same as before and I'm still here" button.

Don't understand!! DynDNS *WILL* send email to the registered owner if an
update has not occured in 35 days and I have always found it trivial to
login to their site and refresh the free entry this way (or power off and
on the router).
Old November 11th 04, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Resident Drunk" wrote in message

Does anyone know if PCWorld stock such a beast ?. It has to be PCW as
I need it tonight and I am not near any Computer Shop

The Belkin 7630 supports DynDNS and should be available from PCW.

Regards
Sunil

Old November 11th 04, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDragon

The draytek range support this + many other Dynamic DNS services.

PC world dont stock it though. But many good online retailers do. I buy from
zionmedia as i get a decent discount for bulk buying all the work gear
there.