Supenet

Old November 11th 04, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lambo

Default Supenet

Thinking of going BB with Supanet - any good?

Old November 11th 04, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Lambo" wrote in message
Thinking of going BB with Supanet - any good?

Customers over in the adslguide forums seem in general happy. There is
also a rep over there that helps with any niggles. The only bad thing i
can see is they dont have their own news server, but hey for under 23 quid
for a one meg connection its not the end of the world, and you can always
use the free news.berlin service

Old November 11th 04, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lambo

Dave wrote:
"Lambo" wrote in message

Thinking of going BB with Supanet - any good?

Customers over in the adslguide forums seem in general happy. There is
also a rep over there that helps with any niggles. The only bad thing i
can see is they dont have their own news server, but hey for under 23 quid
for a one meg connection its not the end of the world, and you can always
use the free news.berlin service

Thanks Dave. I am impressed by Supanet website - plenty of info instead
of the usual dumbed-down blurb. I use news.individual.net, so news
server no problem.
Pete

Old November 11th 04, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Lambo" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
"Lambo" wrote in message

Thinking of going BB with Supanet - any good?

Customers over in the adslguide forums seem in general happy. There is
also a rep over there that helps with any niggles. The only bad thing

can see is they dont have their own news server, but hey for under 23

quid
for a one meg connection its not the end of the world, and you can

always
use the free news.berlin service

Thanks Dave. I am impressed by Supanet website - plenty of info instead
of the usual dumbed-down blurb. I use news.individual.net, so news
server no problem.
Pete

Supanet are one of the possibiltys on my list once my exchange is sorted,
im impressed the way the supanet rep helps people in the adslguide forums
and the price of the service (especially as its IPstream) is very good IMO.

Old November 11th 04, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:52:34 UTC, Lambo
wrote:

Thinking of going BB with Supanet - any good?

Read back in this newsgroup and you'll see about their rather nasty
tie-up with Time Computers. Business methids like that would worry me,
as a new user.

(Time have a fairly close business connection with Supanet, and sold
machines fitted with modems 'locked' to Supanet . They only revealed how
to unlock them under intense cnsumer pressure).

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Old November 11th 04, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

wrote:

Thinking of going BB with Supanet - any good?

Read back in this newsgroup and you'll see about their rather nasty
tie-up with Time Computers. Business methids like that would worry me,
as a new user.

The truth is the users seem happy, the speed of the service again from
adslguide look just fine and unlike some free modem and connection The
only bad thing with regards to their Time computers thing was that the
supanet service was preinstalled on any Time computer that you bought and
it was hard to get rid of, why that would concern you when others like
freeserve a one stage done a similar thing i do not know.

(Time have a fairly close business connection with Supanet, and sold
machines fitted with modems 'locked' to Supanet . They only revealed how
to unlock them under intense cnsumer pressure).

And this has what to do with him choosing them as a provider??? I dont
recall him even mentioning anything about having or considering purchase of
a Time PC.

Old November 11th 04, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:02:40 +0000, Lambo
wrote:

Dave wrote:
"Lambo" wrote in message

Thinking of going BB with Supanet - any good?

Customers over in the adslguide forums seem in general happy. There

is
also a rep over there that helps with any niggles. The only bad thing

can see is they dont have their own news server, but hey for under 23

quid
for a one meg connection its not the end of the world, and you can

always
use the free news.berlin service

Thanks Dave. I am impressed by Supanet website - plenty of info instead
of the usual dumbed-down blurb. I use news.individual.net, so news
server no problem.
Pete

I signed up with them on Monday and was wondering if they had a news
server it doesn't matter that they haven't because I use individual
myself anyway .

The lack of the news server is the only thing that niggles me a bit, (even
though i do also have a individual news account ) but like i said, for
the price it is IMO one of the best bargains around at the moment Even
more so for those that dont even use newsgroups )

Old November 11th 04, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:31:25 UTC, "Dave"
wrote:

Just ahd to be you, didn't it?

The truth is the users seem happy, the speed of the service again from
adslguide look just fine and unlike some free modem and connection The
only bad thing with regards to their Time computers thing was that the
supanet service was preinstalled on any Time computer that you bought and

Making things up again...or shall we just say, lying?

I never said I bought one...I didn't. I build my own.

In the same way that I never asked for plusnet referrals.

You are a pathological liar.

And this has what to do with him choosing them as a provider??? I dont
recall him even mentioning anything about having or considering purchase of
a Time PC.

Nasty business practices. The companies are closely connected, as
someone else stated.

Old November 11th 04, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 11 Nov 2004 "Bob Eager" wrote:

The companies are closely connected, as someone else stated.

Hope that wasn't me... I am just strongly suspicious that they are - I
cannot state it as fact, since I've not spent the time checking on those
all-important directors' names... For the record, here's what I wrote:

BB12 7TG and BB12 7NQ look to be about 0.5 miles apart... I expect
the directors have the same initials at Granville Technology and Supanet !

(Perhaps there will be wives named as directors of the 'other' firm, so
they can have a cosy dinner party and discuss what to do together next :-)

Old November 11th 04, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

Lambo wrote in news:[email protected]
berlin.de:

Thinking of going BB with Supanet - any good?

I think it's too early to tell.. I'd suggest nobody would be looking at
them if it weren't for the price, so I don't expect there's a huge userbase
(perhaps on the dialin side due to Time Computers "special" modems).

On their adslguide forum the users seem generally happy, I do think there's
a slight tendancy to dodge the trickier questions, like when I enquired
about their peering and whether a transparent proxy was forced.

Personally I ended up migrating to Zen, it avoids that nagging "i can do
better" feeling, although I appreciate there's a cost difference and not
everyone can justify it (hell not sure I can really!).

All I'd say is bear in mind you're tied in for a year at least, and don't
expect official support from Supanet via any channel other than the 1 a
min helpline.

Oh, and also consider Zen, Pipex, Metronet and maybe Plusnet.

regards
Paul
paul at spamcop.net