Im broke

Old November 11th 04, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steve

Default Im broke

I noticed Central Point now does 150kbs at 13.90 a month. To save
money Id thought id switch for a few months then upgrade again when I
can. Anyone used 150k? Is it usable?
Old November 11th 04, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

steve wrote:
I noticed Central Point now does 150kbs at 13.90 a month. To save
money Id thought id switch for a few months then upgrade again when I
can. Anyone used 150k? Is it usable?

It's slower than 512K...
Of course it's usable.
56K modem is usable, 300baud modems are usable.
Consider small print, minimum contracts, and conversion fees.
Traffic limits?
What do you do with your broadband.

Old November 11th 04, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
steve wrote:
I noticed Central Point now does 150kbs at 13.90 a month. To save
money Id thought id switch for a few months then upgrade again when I
can. Anyone used 150k? Is it usable?

It's slower than 512K...
Of course it's usable.
56K modem is usable, 300baud modems are usable.
Consider small print, minimum contracts, and conversion fees.
Traffic limits?
What do you do with your broadband.

I personally feel that anything above 300K is usable given the average
content of websites today. You can drop as low as 256K, but below that it
gets slow.

AMO

Old November 11th 04, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
will kemp

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:02:44 +0000, AMO wrote:

I personally feel that anything above 300K is usable given the average
content of websites today. You can drop as low as 256K, but below that it
gets slow.

i reckon it entirely depends on what you're used to. if you've been stuck
with 14.4kbps, say, 33.6kbps seems quite fast. i remember going from 2400
to 14.4k and it was amazingly fast! in those days, of course, you didn't
have to transfer half a GB just to look at a few lines of text! ;-)

but if you go from 56k to 150k, it's going to seem a bit faster. and a big
advantage is you don't pay by time.

will

Old November 11th 04, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GwG

"steve" wrote in message
I noticed Central Point now does 150kbs at 13.90 a month. To save
money Id thought id switch for a few months then upgrade again when I
can. Anyone used 150k? Is it usable?

I can't find the 150k service on there website, any link available please?

Old November 11th 04, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

steve wrote:
I noticed Central Point now does 150kbs at 13.90 a month. To save
money Id thought id switch for a few months then upgrade again when I
can. Anyone used 150k? Is it usable?

I would consider plusnets offerings.
You can move to plusnet for free, and it's then 14.99/month at 512K/1Mb.
But the included data in this package is 1Gb, and extra gigabytes are about
1.50, with a maximum price of some 23 quid (IIRC).
Unlimited email addresses and a number of additional features.

Exactly what you use your broadband for will depend on if this is a good idea.
Browsing and downloading will usually be snappier, but if you'd go over
1Gb, then it's possibly not worth it.

(I'd appreciate you entering 'mauve' into the 'referrer' box if you choose
to do this, but I won't get anything for it unless you later decide to
upgrade, in which case I might get a small discount off the bill (you will
also be able to sign up friends and get varying discounts)

Old November 12th 04, 01:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"steve" wrote in message
I noticed Central Point now does 150kbs at 13.90 a month. To save
money Id thought id switch for a few months then upgrade again when I
can. Anyone used 150k? Is it usable?

Havent used 150k, but have you considered
http://www.adsl4less.com
their 512k is under 15 quid per month

Old November 12th 04, 01:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

steve wrote:
I noticed Central Point now does 150kbs at 13.90 a month. To save
money Id thought id switch for a few months then upgrade again when I
can. Anyone used 150k? Is it usable?

I would consider plusnets offerings.

Yeah like in most of you damn posts

You can move to plusnet for free,

Only if he is a current broadband user

and it's then 14.99/month at 512K/1Mb.
But the included data in this package is 1Gb, and extra gigabytes are

about

Useless IMO if you have a 512k service and use the net more then a few
hours aday or want to transfer largish files

1.50, with a maximum price of some 23 quid (IIRC).

Did you not see the title "im broke" do you think thats cheap for a person
thats broke?

Unlimited email addresses and a number of additional features.

Exactly what you use your broadband for will depend on if this is a good

idea.
Browsing and downloading will usually be snappier, but if you'd go over
1Gb, then it's possibly not worth it.

Agreed

(I'd appreciate you entering {SPAM SNIP} if you choose

Like you do for everyone.

to do this, but I won't get anything for it unless you later decide to
upgrade, in which case I might get a small discount off the bill (you

will
also be able to sign up friends and get varying discounts)

LOL, you might get a discount eh? LOL

Old November 12th 04, 02:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

steve wrote:
I noticed Central Point now does 150kbs at 13.90 a month. To save
money Id thought id switch for a few months then upgrade again when I
can. Anyone used 150k? Is it usable?

I would consider plusnets offerings.

Yeah like in most of you damn posts

I like the services.

You can move to plusnet for free,

Only if he is a current broadband user

I was assuming he was, as the "id switch" implied.

and it's then 14.99/month at 512K/1Mb.
But the included data in this package is 1Gb, and extra gigabytes are

about

Useless IMO if you have a 512k service and use the net more then a few
hours aday or want to transfer largish files

Not everybody does.
For some, it can be a usefull saving.

Old November 12th 04, 05:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

steve wrote:
I noticed Central Point now does 150kbs at 13.90 a month. To save
money Id thought id switch for a few months then upgrade again when

can. Anyone used 150k? Is it usable?

I would consider plusnets offerings.

Yeah like in most of you damn posts

I like the services.

You want to save money.........END OFF

You can move to plusnet for free,

Only if he is a current broadband user

I was assuming he was, as the "id switch" implied.

Assuming eh? I call it making it sound good

and it's then 14.99/month at 512K/1Mb.
But the included data in this package is 1Gb, and extra gigabytes are

about

Useless IMO if you have a 512k service and use the net more then a few
hours aday or want to transfer largish files

Not everybody does.

Kinda pointless have a fast connection if you dont use the net that often

For some, it can be a usefull saving.

WTF??????

1.50, with a maximum price of some 23 quid (IIRC).

Did you not see the title "im broke" do you think thats cheap for a

person
thats broke?

Ah no answer eh????????