PlusNet Newsgroups are sloooooooow

Old November 12th 04, 12:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

Default PlusNet Newsgroups are sloooooooow

PlusNet newsgroup access appears to be dying a horrible death.

Sooooo slooooow. Slooower than 9k.

AMO

Old November 12th 04, 01:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"AMO" wrote in message
PlusNet newsgroup access appears to be dying a horrible death.

Sooooo slooooow. Slooower than 9k.

A regular problem from what i hear, live with it or move ISP is basically
your only choices.

Old November 12th 04, 02:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Not here, on my 1Mb/s connection, downloads 16 news groups in 10 seconds.
Regards,
Martin

Old November 12th 04, 07:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

"Dave" wrote in message

"AMO" wrote in message
PlusNet newsgroup access appears to be dying a horrible death.

Sooooo slooooow. Slooower than 9k.

A regular problem from what i hear, live with it or move ISP is basically
your only choices.

No - they're ususally very fast.

I moved from Pipex because of this.

However, PlusNet are slow in general at the moment. Web browsing is slow
too.

I thought that it was maybe just PlusNet doing maintenance overnight, but
its slow this morning too.

AMO

Old November 12th 04, 07:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Cole

In article ,
"AMO" wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

"AMO" wrote in message
PlusNet newsgroup access appears to be dying a horrible death.

Sooooo slooooow. Slooower than 9k.

A regular problem from what i hear, live with it or move ISP is basically
your only choices.

No - they're ususally very fast.

I moved from Pipex because of this.

However, PlusNet are slow in general at the moment. Web browsing is slow
too.

I thought that it was maybe just PlusNet doing maintenance overnight, but
its slow this morning too.

AMO

I seem to recall that they posted a maintenance announcement for
maintenance between midnight and 8am for a couple of nights... That
could explain the problems... Not that I have noticed any on my Plusnet
connection.

Al.

--
Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]
Old November 12th 04, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"AMO" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in message

"AMO" wrote in message
PlusNet newsgroup access appears to be dying a horrible death.

Sooooo slooooow. Slooower than 9k.

A regular problem from what i hear, live with it or move ISP is

basically
your only choices.

No - they're ususally very fast.

I moved from Pipex because of this.

However, PlusNet are slow in general at the moment. Web browsing is slow
too.

I thought that it was maybe just PlusNet doing maintenance overnight, but
its slow this morning too.

AMO

Well not alot you can do, why did you choose plusnet???

Old November 12th 04, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kris

Martin² wrote:
Not here, on my 1Mb/s connection, downloads 16 news groups in 10
seconds. Regards,
Martin

Why are most binaries incomplete ? having to fill in with Astranews
or Clara on every download recently.

Chris

Old November 13th 04, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
higgy

"Kris" wrote:

Martin² wrote:
Not here, on my 1Mb/s connection, downloads 16 news groups in 10
seconds. Regards,
Martin

Why are most binaries incomplete ? having to fill in with Astranews
or Clara on every download recently.

There are threads covering this on their support group
(plusnet.service.customer-feedback).

In my experience, since I joined PlusNet a few weeks ago, some days are
outstanding (100% completes - never had that with Wanadoo) and some days
are awful (nowhere near enough to recover with PARS).

I've never encountered any speed issues, though. Binaries download at
around 56-58K/s (i.e. about normal for my 512K connection) and I've had
no issues with web-browsing.

Dave.
Old November 13th 04, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wilbur

Moreover why is Plusnet webmail soooooooooooo slow??

i've tried this from various client sites (i.e. don't blame me) and their
old webmail was slow and their new crappy m$ outlook webmail is also slow.
This is the main weakness I've seen in Plusnet's otherwise good service.

Wilbur

Old November 13th 04, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

"Alan Cole" wrote in message
I seem to recall that they posted a maintenance announcement for
maintenance between midnight and 8am for a couple of nights... That
could explain the problems... Not that I have noticed any on my Plusnet
connection.

Al.

Thanx for that Al (and everyone else's input). Things are back to normal
now. They're FAST again!!!

Only a couple of minor things that annoy me about PlusNet since migration
from Pipex.

1) Sometimes (and this may be to do with the maintenance work they've been
doing), if you go to a website, it will time out the first time you try to
connect to it. Try it again and everything is fine.

2) Every now and then when clicking on newsgroup messages, they say that the
message is no longer available. This happens far too often for my liking.

Otherwise, its quite good.

AMO