Should modem be slower on a BB activated line

Old November 12th 04, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Reynolds

Default Should modem be slower on a BB activated line

In theory my line has been activated for BB but after a month I still
haven't connected. I'm slowly going through all the hoops with Wanadoo
before they can persuade BT to take a physical look at the line and
probably will get there eventually.

However, when I connect using my modem I find that the connection
speed has dropped off quite badly. I used to connect at 42k (not great
I know), but now I cannot get above 38k and occasionally it has
dropped to well below that.

Does the BB activation affect the performance of the phone line when
using a modem? The modem is now connected through a filter.

TIA
Dennis Reynolds --
If you are expectng me to reply and do not
get one within three days blame my spam
trap and email me again.
Old November 12th 04, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:29:47 +0000, Dennis Reynolds
wrote:

Does the BB activation affect the performance of the phone line when
using a modem? The modem is now connected through a filter.

it shouldn't and didn't in my case.

Do you get the same effect with a) the broadband modem unplugged and
b) the 56k modem working not through a filter with the BB modem
unplugged ?

Quality of filter may be an issue, also you may have a line fault
affecting both. http://www.yarwell.demon.co.uk/longlines.html may help
DIY resolution of the connection problem.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 12th 04, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Dennis Reynolds" wrote in message
news
In theory my line has been activated for BB but after a month I still
haven't connected. I'm slowly going through all the hoops with Wanadoo
before they can persuade BT to take a physical look at the line and
probably will get there eventually.

However, when I connect using my modem I find that the connection
speed has dropped off quite badly. I used to connect at 42k (not great
I know), but now I cannot get above 38k and occasionally it has
dropped to well below that.

I have read various warnings that this sort of reduction is normal.

It might be worth trying your old (voice frequency) modem without the filter as
your BB does not work anyway.

--

Michael Chare

Old November 12th 04, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
"Dennis Reynolds" wrote in message
news
In theory my line has been activated for BB but after a month I still
haven't connected. I'm slowly going through all the hoops with Wanadoo
before they can persuade BT to take a physical look at the line and
probably will get there eventually.

However, when I connect using my modem I find that the connection
speed has dropped off quite badly. I used to connect at 42k (not great
I know), but now I cannot get above 38k and occasionally it has
dropped to well below that.

I have read various warnings that this sort of reduction is normal.

It might be worth trying your old (voice frequency) modem without the

filter as
your BB does not work anyway.

--

Michael Chare

Certainly true here many years ago when I went BB I tried the old dial up
modem and connection speed was 36 vs 47 pre activation.
Colin

Old November 13th 04, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

Remebering back to 3 years ago my connection speed on my 56k modem also
dropped. From 48000 to below 40000.

Dan

Old November 13th 04, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Reynolds

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:00:07 -0000, "Dan" wrote:

Remebering back to 3 years ago my connection speed on my 56k modem also
dropped. From 48000 to below 40000.

Dan

Many thanks for your comments folks. Looks like I'll have to live with
the slower speeds until the BB problem is sorted out. BT will HAVE to
sort it because here in Northern Ireland they are contracted by a
government department to provide 100% broadband availability to
Northern Ireland by the end of 2005. Hope I'm not at the end of the
queue :-)