Q : What's the max length for the cable from wall socket to router?

Old November 12th 04, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
IamTheWalrus

Default Q : What's the max length for the cable from wall socket to router?

Hi folks,

Well, as subject really, anybody know?

BT combined wall socket and filter thing to ADSL port on the back of a
router. RJ11 (?) on each end.

Thanks for reading.
--
IamTheWalrus
Old November 12th 04, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:46:16 +0000, IamTheWalrus
wrote:

BT combined wall socket and filter thing to ADSL port on the back of a
router. RJ11 (?) on each end.

how long is a piece of string, well wire in this case.

The attenuation of the signal should not be an issue if its a decent
cable, however if you have a weak signal (as implied by the BT
installed socket filter) there is some risk of collecting interference
unless you use a decent quality twisted pair phone or network cable.

People have reported succesfully running long runs of Cat 5 from a
faceplate filter - 10s of metres. You can use RJ45 plugged off the
shelf network cables and an RJ11 female-female coupler to plug the
modem into (ebuyer et al do them)

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 12th 04, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Laird

wrote:

Well, as subject really, anybody know?

BT combined wall socket and filter thing to ADSL port on the back of a
router. RJ11 (?) on each end.

If you use a flat (generally non-twisted) cable, I would say about 10m,
maybe a bit longer if you can keep it away from sources of interference. If
you can find decent twisted-pair with the right connections, well you might
already be several miles from the exchange and are basically extending that
(although to some extent the BT master socket and optional microfilter will
place further limitations).

--
Team effort: A lot of people doing what I say.

Mail john rather than nospam...
Old November 12th 04, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

IamTheWalrus wrote:

Hi folks,

Well, as subject really, anybody know?

BT combined wall socket and filter thing to ADSL port on the back of a
router. RJ11 (?) on each end.

Thanks for reading.

Quite a few tens of metres - most likely more than you need! But if it's
more than a couple of metres, make sure that you use proper CAT5 cable.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old November 12th 04, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
IamTheWalrus

In article , Tiscali Tim
writes
IamTheWalrus wrote:

Hi folks,

Well, as subject really, anybody know?

BT combined wall socket and filter thing to ADSL port on the back of a
router. RJ11 (?) on each end.

Thanks for reading.

Quite a few tens of metres - most likely more than you need! But if it's
more than a couple of metres, make sure that you use proper CAT5 cable.

Thanks for all your insights.

I think I'll see what my local computer shop can come up with.

Thanks again.
--
IamTheWalrus
Old November 12th 04, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

IamTheWalrus wrote:

In article , Tiscali Tim
writes
IamTheWalrus wrote:

Hi folks,

Well, as subject really, anybody know?

BT combined wall socket and filter thing to ADSL port on the back
of a router. RJ11 (?) on each end.

Thanks for reading.

Quite a few tens of metres - most likely more than you need! But if
it's more than a couple of metres, make sure that you use proper
CAT5 cable.

Thanks for all your insights.

I think I'll see what my local computer shop can come up with.

Thanks again.

If you're planning a long extension, the easiest way is to buy a modified
ADSL faceplate and an RJ11 or RJ45 socket from Clarity [see
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bits.htm] and to use CAT5 cable - kroned
into the *back* of the faceplate - to join the two together. You then need
just a short RJ11-RJ11 cable between the remote socket and your router.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old November 13th 04, 01:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

My (wifi) router is at the end of two ordinary phone extension cables, total
of 15m, from hall up to loft.
Works perfectly on 1Mb/s PlusNet service, ~5km from exchange.
Regards,
Martin

Old November 13th 04, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"IamTheWalrus" wrote in message
Hi folks,

Well, as subject really, anybody know?

BT combined wall socket and filter thing to ADSL port on the back of a
router. RJ11 (?) on each end.

If your line quality is good then in principle you can plug in several
kilometres of extension and still have a viable ADSL signal.