How do I contact BT to report a fault at an exchange?

Old November 12th 04, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dale Walker

Default How do I contact BT to report a fault at an exchange?

We're trying to do a remote desktop connection from three different
sites in London to our Newcastle office but cannot connect. Oddly,
connections from other Newcastle locations to the Newcastle office all
work fine.

So tracert in hand I discovered that all three London locations are
routed via 217.47.31.133. This happens to be a BT exchange. I've tried
the contact phone number and email address on WHOIS but cannot get a
reply.

I've also tried half a dozen BT (no)helpdesk/fault numbers but all
they do is fob me off to another irrelevant department.

How can I register an infrastructure fault to BT? I'm calling from a
Pipex account to a Demon account, both of whom's helpdesk's say I have
to contact BT to sort the problem out and neither of them could give
me decent contact details.

---
Dale Walker
London Techno Events
[email protected],org
http://london.sorted.org
Old November 12th 04, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:39:28 +0000, Dale Walker
wrote:

So tracert in hand I discovered that all three London locations are
routed via 217.47.31.133. This happens to be a BT exchange. I've tried
the contact phone number and email address on WHOIS but cannot get a
reply.

ISP needs to escalate to BT Wholesale. Are you saying you cannot ping
the Newcastle office from any one of three London sites and vice versa
?

217.47.31.133 is a RAS box which is what exchanges connect to via VPs
to get onto BT's ATM cloud AIUI, your 3 offices on the same ISP are
being routed to the same RAS box and you say that isn't working -
visualroute test says similar "IP packets are lost past 194.72.20.246"
which is another bit of BT infrastructure

posting some raw data in demon.service may get a response from Tim
Preston a network engineer there, post a raw tracert originated from a
Demon end ideally (don't opine or summarise !)

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 12th 04, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

wrote:

So tracert in hand I discovered that all three London locations are
routed via 217.47.31.133.

is a similar
experience from demon.service

An explanation of what is what was offerred:

[email protected]:~$ traceroute -q 1 www.demon.net
traceroute to www.demon.net (194.159.245.141), 64 hops max, 40 byte
packets
1 demon-gw-island (80.177.145.225) 2.276 ms
2 thus3-hg1.ealing.broadband.bt.net (217.47.30.72) 21.514 ms
3 217.47.30.34 (217.47.30.34) 21.485 ms
4 217.47.30.110 (217.47.30.110) 22.069 ms
5 park-inside-1-g3-0-0-s193.router.demon.net (194.159.246.66) 20.785
ms
6 lon1-service-1-s287.router.demon.net (194.70.98.114) 23.196 ms
7 lon1-service-2-305.router.demon.net (194.159.244.82) 23.325 ms
8 www.demon.net (194.159.245.141) 20.084 ms

==============================

1 - My (BT Provided) router at home.
2 - What BT call the Home Gateway (HG) which terminates the PPP
session.
This will be located at one of BT's datecentres.
3 - BT call this the Front End Router (FER).
This live in the same datacentre as the HG.
4 - The Network Termination Equipment.
This is at one of our datacentres but is owned and maintained by
BT. However the IP address they use on our network will have a
'*.access.demon.net' reverse DNS entry, and this shows up on a
traceroute *to* an ADSL customer.
5 - The first router we own and maintain.

HTH
Phil
Old November 12th 04, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dale Walker

wrote:

[...]

I've just posted a more detailed description here and in
demon.service. See post. "Can't connect via remote desktop from London
to Newcastle".

---
Dale Walker
London Techno Events