zone alarm query

Old November 13th 04, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Me

Default zone alarm query

Greetings

I have just set up a network between my desktop PC and a laptop but when
Zone Alarm (free version) is running on the PC, I can't "see" the laptop. As
soon as I disable Zone Alarm, there is the laptop and I can move stuff
to-and-fro. Can anyone advise please on whether I can tell Zone Alarm to
accept the signal from the laptop - and if so, how? The laptop is just using
XPs own firewall at present.

I'm using a Linksys modem/router (WAG54G). This is hardwired to an ethernet
card on the PC. The laptop has a Linksys wireless adapter card.

This has been setup to test if the network will work, in readiness for going
broadband (now ordered).

I know the router has built in firewall stuff, but I've seen in newsgroups
that it's advisable to have a software one as well.

All help appreciated.

Old November 13th 04, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Piers James

go to the "Firewall" tab in ZoneAlarm, then go to the "Zones" tab and make
sure that your ethernet adapter that is listed is shown as being in the
trusted zone. If not, LEFT click where it says "Internet" and then choose
"Trusted" from the pop up menu.

That should sort things out. HTH

Old November 13th 04, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article , Me says...
Greetings

I have just set up a network between my desktop PC and a laptop but when
Zone Alarm (free version) is running on the PC, I can't "see" the laptop. As
soon as I disable Zone Alarm, there is the laptop and I can move stuff
to-and-fro. Can anyone advise please on whether I can tell Zone Alarm to
accept the signal from the laptop - and if so, how? The laptop is just using
XPs own firewall at present.

There should be an option in Zone Alarm to allow people to browse the
LAN and share files/folders. In Sygate, access to Network Neighborhood
is blocked by default.

--
Conor

Normality will be restored once we actually work out what normality is.
Old November 13th 04, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

All help appreciated.

Open the ZA panel (dble click on the icon in the systray)

Click "firewall"
Click the "Zones" tab to the right
"Add" the IP address of the other machine on your network

Old November 14th 04, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gelf

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 17:48:44 -0000, Colin Wilson
wrote:

All help appreciated.

Open the ZA panel (dble click on the icon in the systray)

Click "firewall"
Click the "Zones" tab to the right
"Add" the IP address of the other machine on your network

What do you do if you have a DHCP server, eg in a router, that
automatically assigns IP addresses?

Thanks,
Gelf
Old November 14th 04, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

wrote:

All help appreciated.

Open the ZA panel (dble click on the icon in the systray)

Click "firewall"
Click the "Zones" tab to the right
"Add" the IP address of the other machine on your network

What do you do if you have a DHCP server, eg in a router, that
automatically assigns IP addresses?

Thanks,
Gelf

You can put a range of IP addresses as a trusted zone in ZoneAlarm - rather
than just individual ones (although you can do that as well).

Presumably your DHCP server always serves address in the same range - so
just specify the entire range in ZoneAlarm.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old November 14th 04, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt

wrote:

All help appreciated.

Open the ZA panel (dble click on the icon in the systray)

Click "firewall"
Click the "Zones" tab to the right
"Add" the IP address of the other machine on your network

What do you do if you have a DHCP server, eg in a router, that
automatically assigns IP addresses?

I use the name of the other computer on the network and enter it as a
trusted zone in ZoneAlarm.

Chris

Old November 14th 04, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

What do you do if you have a DHCP server, eg in a router, that
automatically assigns IP addresses?

Personally, I tell the router to always assign the same IP address to the
same PC (tell it the MAC address and the IP to assign to it)

That way if I need to open any ports or pass any requests to a specific
machine they get routed correctly by default (ie. ftp server / VNC)