Weird problem with web browsers

Old November 13th 04, 10:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
News User

Default Weird problem with web browsers

Hi there, Im trying to access a download website on one of my pcs and
it does not work, tryed turning firewall off, etc etc and still no
joy! Funny thing is it works on all other pcs using the same internet
connection.

Has anyone else had any problems like this / know how to fix it? Oh
and im using Norton Inet Security 2004
Old November 13th 04, 11:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Hi there, Im trying to access a download website on one of my pcs and
it does not work, tryed turning firewall off, etc etc and still no
joy! Funny thing is it works on all other pcs using the same internet
connection.

Which site ? Do they all have Norton Inet Sec. on them ?

Old November 14th 04, 08:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 13 Nov 2004 14:48:17 -0800, (News User) wrote:

Has anyone else had any problems like this / know how to fix it? Oh
and im using Norton Inet Security 2004

turn that off for a start.

What error message do you get ?

If you go to
http://www.netmonitor.org/tools/ttest.php does the same
MTU show up from each PC (post the red results link if you like) ? If
not use a utility like DrTCP or TweakMASTER to set them all the same.

I have seen symptoms like yours where a router had an MTU setting
smaller than that of one PC and although you could ping a website
happily the bigger packets from the images on the site didn't get
through.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 14th 04, 10:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Hi there, Im trying to access a download website on one of my pcs and
it does not work, tryed turning firewall off, etc etc and still no
joy! Funny thing is it works on all other pcs using the same internet
connection.

Has anyone else had any problems like this / know how to fix it? Oh
and im using Norton Inet Security 2004

Does the URL begin with https://?
Perhaps your browser does not comply with 128 bit SSL

--
Graham.

%Profound_obsrtvation%

Old November 15th 04, 01:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
IbroxJim

News User wrote:
Hi there, Im trying to access a download website on one of my pcs and
it does not work, tryed turning firewall off, etc etc and still no
joy! Funny thing is it works on all other pcs using the same internet
connection.

Has anyone else had any problems like this / know how to fix it? Oh
and im using Norton Inet Security 2004

If can browse the web but is stalling well into a download lower the
MTU settings on the PC.

But if the PC is totally cut of from the web it sounds more like a
DHCP, DNS or gateway or proxy setting problem , but I have also seen the
problem on an Xp pc (I might add also running the despised Norton
Insecurity) which was due to the windows sockets dll file "ws_32.dll"
either being corupted or wrong version. I suspected the owner's botched
installation of Sp2 had caused the problem. Even though ws_32.dll
wasn't working the Pc could still ping the internet and web browsing and
mail worked if Mozilla Firefox and Firebird.
Old November 15th 04, 08:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
News User

IbroxJim wrote in message ...
News User wrote:
[...]

Hi,

Its a search site which I am having problems accessing - only one
site!
Tryed on a different pc (still with xp, Norton Inet Security, Same
MTU) and it works ok!
Thing i cant work out is when i connect via a proxy on my LAN (Using
same internet connection) it works fine!

This is a weird one, connecting through a proxy works but it means
having another machine on. Any help would be appreciated.