Thomson Speedtouch 330 USB Wanadoo and Evesham

Old November 14th 04, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Daniels

Default Thomson Speedtouch 330 USB Wanadoo and Evesham

Hi,

My neighbour has just purchased a brand new Pentium 4 E-Style machine from
Evesham along with Wanadoo Broadband in a Box.
Wanadoo have arranged that the line has been activated but it has proved
imposssible to connect.

We have re-installed Windows XP - no joy
We have installed service pack 2 - no joy
Evesham have supplied an external, powered USB hub - no joy
We have downloaded that latest USB 330 Speedtouch drivers from Thomson
website - no joy.

We are at a loss as to what to try next. Evesham are saying that it's
Wanadoo's problem. Wanadoo are just sending standard emails.
Meanwhile the two months included access is ticking away with no connection
possible

Everytime we have tried the steps above we unininstall the Speedtouch
software first. We installed the software before plugging the USB modem in ,
the first time, and during each susequent reinstall.

Both green lights are on on the modem, but on running the connection
software it either does nothing or gives a cryptic 'cannot create
connection+ ' error.

Also, the machine refuses to shutdown properly when the modem is plugged in.
Remove the modem and the machine behaves normally on shutdown.

Aplologies for the long post but we are at our wits end and any suggestions
gratefully received.

Graham Daniels

Old November 14th 04, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

Graham Daniels wrote:
[...]

I had endless problems with a speedtouch. I threw it in the bin and
bought a proper router, which works a champ.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but the supplied USB modems that
ISP's give out are total ****e..

If you can't stretch to a router, Aria do a Bewan PCI ADSL modem that
works well with XP for 10.

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Name=bewan
Old November 15th 04, 12:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Reynolds

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:56:45 -0000, "Graham Daniels"
wrote:

[...]

I'm no expert but from recent experience I suggest you try 2 things.

1. Uninstall whatever firewall software you have, install the
Speedtouch software and then reinstall the firewall.

2. You appear to be relying on email contact with Wanadoo. Run Dr
Speedtouch and then contact their BB helpline during the day. You will
more than likely get straight through to a technician who will take
you through a series of pedantic, but possibly helpful steps. He/she
will also note that you have never been connected so that your account
can be adjusted once the problems have been sorted out.
Dennis Reynolds --
If you are expectng me to reply and do not
get one within three days blame my spam
trap and email me again.
Old November 15th 04, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed

Graham Daniels wrote:
[...]

I had a similar problem with the Speedtoch 330 USB modem in that I
loaded the software off the CD, then plugged in the modem but kept
getting the error message:

Could not create entry (""+speedtouch connection+"")

Following advice from this newsgroup, I uninstalled the modem software,
then downloaded the latest DUN files from the Microsoft website and also
reloaded Win98SE from my installation disk. And then I followed the
procedure for installation and connection of the modem software and
hardware.

That resolved the problem as it seems that I had a number of crucial
driver files missing from my PC which gave rise to the error message
above. Since then everything has been running smoothly.

--
Yours truly,
Ed
Old November 15th 04, 07:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bert Kruiswijk

As far as I can rememeber, Tiscali had a message on their forum that XPsp2
and speedtouch wasn't compatible.

Bert.

Old November 15th 04, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

I can't give you the answer to the problem but I can tell you the problem is
with drivers,

Not just the modem drivers but the Motherboard or USB drivers.

As others have said turn off or remove firewalls and most importantly the XP
one while you are sorting problem out to remove that from the equation.

Trust me it is drivers, but the hard part is finding the right ones.

I would not use the modem install CD I would create a manual DUN because
when you use the CD you maybe replacing the modem drivers with older
versions.

Keep everything simple with minimum auto install, that way you are in
control and may be able to isolate the problem.

BUT DRIVERS IS THE PROBLEM.

,

Old November 15th 04, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

[...]

1) Have you tried Dr Speedtouch - what does is say?

2) Remove anything from the PC that you can temporalily live without. (i.e. any
PCI cards, any other USB devices)

3) Phone Wanadoo and persuade them to ask BT wholesale to make sure that the BT
ATM backbone network definitions have been correctly set up. (or however such
checks are made)

4) Try alternative hardware - preferably a router.

--

Michael Chare

Old November 15th 04, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Daniels

Snip

2. You appear to be relying on email contact with Wanadoo. Run Dr
Speedtouch and then contact their BB helpline during the day. You will
more than likely get straight through to a technician who will take
you through a series of pedantic, but possibly helpful steps. He/she
will also note that you have never been connected so that your account
can be adjusted once the problems have been sorted out.
Dennis Reynolds --
If you are expectng me to reply and do not
get one within three days blame my spam
trap and email me again.

What do you mean by their BB helpline?

Graham

Old November 15th 04, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Daniels

Many thanks to all that have responded.
Dr Speedtouch says 'modem not connected' but both green lights are on on the
speedtouch.

We are having the error "Could not create entry (""+speedtouch
connection+"")" regularly but with XP SP2 how does one ininstall and
reinstall DUN?
We have visited the Windows Update site but it doesn't mention any required
updates for DUN.

Who do people think is ultimately responsible for sorting this? Evesham sold
us the product which doesn't seem fit for the purpose it was sold.
Wanadoo supplied Evesham with the hardware.
Wanadoo now blame Microsoft, who just suggest reinstalling internet
explorer.

Graham Daniels

Old November 15th 04, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Parry

I have the same modem and updated drivers from Thomson (previously
Alcatel), XP home & SP2. It all works perfectly & have never had a problem
with the modem since it was installed in 2001 by two BT engineers!! Yes I
know, now they just send modems in the post!!
My ISP is Pipex & no problems there either.
My only constructive input would be to make sure the modem is plugged into a
USB port directly connected to the MOBO & not an expansion card or HUB
(powered or otherwise). Oh & dont let the two months drift by without
Wanadoo restting it from the date your connection actually works!!

Tony P