Pc takes ages to recognise modem Wanadoo

Old November 15th 04, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default Pc takes ages to recognise modem Wanadoo

Hi All

I have a problem with a friends PC (posted ages ago and that issue was a
line fault)

The currnt issue , is that when the PC is booted , we double click
speedtouch and get a message saying the port is already in use. We keep
clicking and eventually after 5 mins or so the modem allows you to connect.

We are running Windows 98 and have updated all drivers.

I am wondering if this is an issue with a piece of software in the back
ground trying to do something with the modem port. Any clues where to start
on this one. All wanadoo suggest is uninstall and reinstall drivers.

My last resort will be to format C and start again with a fresh windows
install.

John

Old November 16th 04, 12:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:23:38 GMT, "John"
[email protected] dspamblueyonder.co.uk
wrote:

My last resort will be to format C and start again with a fresh windows
install.

Before you do that, get the Dec copy of Computer Shopper. It has a
free copy of partitioning software on the DVD.

Create a new partition and install win 98 and experiment. I find
having a second copy of my windows installation (Win XP in my case)
very useful indeed.
--
Cheers,

Guy