Home Highway to ADSL conversion

Old November 15th 04, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Turnbull

Default Home Highway to ADSL conversion

My exchange will finally be ADSL-enabled very shortly and I've signed up
for broadband with PlusNet. They will arrange for the HH to be
decommissioned and for the ADSL upgrade to be done at the same time.
However they're not going to place the order until at least the date of
the exhange activation. Is it true that it can't be ordered any earlier
than that? Having been the first person in my area to register their
interest in broadbany (umpty years ago) I don't really want to be the last
one to actually get it :-)

--
Pete Peter Turnbull
Network Manager
Old November 15th 04, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Holland

Pete Turnbull wrote:
My exchange will finally be ADSL-enabled very shortly and I've signed up
for broadband with PlusNet. They will arrange for the HH to be
decommissioned and for the ADSL upgrade to be done at the same time.
However they're not going to place the order until at least the date of
the exhange activation. Is it true that it can't be ordered any earlier

Nildram would only consider installation dates for my HH-ADSL
conversion starting a week after the exchange activation, but they took
the order a fortnight or so before the activation date. I gather this
delay is to let the "easy" (POTS) ADSL installations go through first to
iron out any difficulties that might be harder to spot with HH in the
way.

than that? Having been the first person in my area to register their
interest in broadbany (umpty years ago) I don't really want to be the last
one to actually get it :-)

I was 40th in my village to get ADSL, but allocated slot 23 on the DSLAM
(according to the BT engineer). Presumably that's an artifact of the
above delay.

Dave
Old November 15th 04, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I think you will find the problem is that BT will not take orders until the
day the exchange is enabled. Even so it seems there are differences. I
placed an order with PLUS as soon as the RFS date was confirmed. A friend
ordered his the week before the RFS and his line was enabled a week before
mine. No logic that I could see at all in BT not taking orders in advance
but that is nothing new for BT!

Peter Crosland

Old November 18th 04, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Turnbull

Thanks to those who replied. It does seem that BT won't accept a
Highway-to-broadband conversion order until the exchange is upgraded.
The order's placed, and I have an engineer appointment for middle of next
week, which is not bad.

As an aside, I wanted to keep the second analogue number as a Call Sign
number, and the nice lady on the Highway desk spoke to the number
allocations people for me, and has added that to the order :-)

--
Pete Peter Turnbull
Network Manager
Old November 20th 04, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart

"Pete Turnbull" wrote in message
Thanks to those who replied. It does seem that BT won't accept a
Highway-to-broadband conversion order until the exchange is upgraded.
The order's placed, and I have an engineer appointment for middle of next
week, which is not bad.

As an aside, I wanted to keep the second analogue number as a Call Sign
number, and the nice lady on the Highway desk spoke to the number
allocations people for me, and has added that to the order :-)

--
Pete Peter Turnbull
Network Manager
University of York

I ordered my Home Highway upgrade two months before my exchange was due to
be upgraded but then circumstances I might be slightly different in that my
ISP was BT Yahoo and I remained with them. I ordered it via a Home Highway
upgrade link on their website.

BTW the Home Highway conversion charge was also waived which was one of the
reasons I chose to remain with BT as my ISP.

Stephen

Old November 22nd 04, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Turnbull

Stephen Stewart wrote:

"Pete Turnbull" wrote in message
Thanks to those who replied. It does seem that BT won't accept a
Highway-to-broadband conversion order until the exchange is upgraded.
The order's placed, and I have an engineer appointment for middle of next
week, which is not bad.

I ordered my Home Highway upgrade two months before my exchange was due to
be upgraded but then circumstances I might be slightly different in that my
ISP was BT Yahoo and I remained with them. I ordered it via a Home Highway
upgrade link on their website.

BTW the Home Highway conversion charge was also waived which was one of the
reasons I chose to remain with BT as my ISP.

Plusnet accepted my order for processing soe time in advance; it was
simply that BT wouldn't let it be processed until the exchange was
enabled, as far as I can see. I got a similar story from BT at one
point.

I didn't pay the full conversion fee either, just a small charge on top
of the broadband signup fee.

--
Pete Peter Turnbull
Network Manager