8MB ADSL for 39.99 per month

Old November 15th 04, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default 8MB ADSL for 39.99 per month

Details at http://www.ukonline.net/8000/

Connection fee is 50

Advertised contention ratio of 33:1. Upload is 400K

The service is based around the EasyNet LLU exchanges of which there
are just over 200.

The approximate range is around 2km which UK Online estimate to be
around 50% of homes on the exchanges. If your line does not manage the
8Mbps, they will install the service at the "best speed" possible, so
you may only see a 6MB or 4MB service.

There also appears to be a usage restriction of 4GB/day.

Regards
Sunil

Old November 15th 04, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 15 Nov 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

There also appears to be a usage restriction of 4GB/day.

I wonder if that is averaged over a week, or month ?
Perhaps Martin S or someone from Easynet can enlighten us... PGM

Old November 15th 04, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Peter M wrote:
On 15 Nov 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

There also appears to be a usage restriction of 4GB/day.

I wonder if that is averaged over a week, or month ?
Perhaps Martin S or someone from Easynet can enlighten us...

Well the web site(http://www.ukonline.net/8000/page4.php) actually
says:

---
Are there any usage restrictions?

We do not have a fixed bandwidth restriction. However we reserve the
right to suspend or restrict your use of the Service if we consider it
excessive.

We would consider regular or recurring data transfer in excess of 4
Gigabytes per day to be an example of excessive use of our Broadband
8000 service.
---

So I don't think this limit is fixed in stone as such - it was just me
summarising in a hurry (and still getting used to Google Groups!)

Still as UKOnline are advertising a 33:1 contention ratio, 4GB/day is
still over "fair use" (on a per user basis)

Regards
Sunil

Old November 15th 04, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 15 Nov 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

Well the web site(http://www.ukonline.net/8000/page4.php) says:

snip

Thanks for that... There will be some questions over who'll use it,
for that money, because the hardcore downloaders who would love the
speed but then immediately fall foul of 'fair use' and be miffed :-)

Old November 15th 04, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:54:14 +0000, Peter M
wrote:

I wonder if that is averaged over a week, or month ?

or at all ? why not account on a daily basis :-)

4 GB/day is a bit less than a 512k line at full tilt

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 15th 04, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ron

wrote:

I wonder if that is averaged over a week, or month ?

or at all ? why not account on a daily basis :-)

4 GB/day is a bit less than a 512k line at full tilt

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

I think it makes perfect sense, just because its the same bandwidth a normal
512k uncapped service can do in 24 hours, this can do it 16x faster, and 4Gb
a day thats a nice size cap, how many people really download more than 120Gb
a month.

1 Gb a month caps, now thats f**king stupid, so is 15Gb a month via BT, but
120Gb a month, thats a cool cap if there there is one

Old November 15th 04, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:05:04 +0000, Alex wrote:

who are they
appealing to?

people with speed envy ?

Phil
Old November 15th 04, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 15 Nov 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, guv wrote:

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:05 Alex wrote:

My point is, with a dynamic IP and usage restrctions, who are they
appealing to? Your average web surfer can get better value for money
with the lower speed packages and your average high user can grab more
using other ISPs...

A dynamic IP is no problem for *downloaders* rather than someone planning
to run a server (web/FTP/mail) and anyway, remote hosting is probably a
better option - I know I'd prefer to have an upper speed of 100 Mbps
for transfers from server to server, rather than a pretty pathetic
speed from many home/businesses using this service... (and the T+C
might even make it unsuitable for business use, deliberately).

As you say, the average web surfer would not really see any benefit
for paying more. The only ones who will, would be downloaders. There
seems to be no point whatsoever in a speed as high as this, with the
capping drawback set as low as it has been on a daily basis.

Looks like the home entertainment market will be a possible target, as
the speed is fine for downloading and streaming as long as the feed can
keep it up, and the limit isn't a problem unless you run peer-to-peer or
grab newsgroup binaries as your primary purpose in life :-) Watch news,
films and sport for a couple of hours or so and it may be fine...

I see the possibility of my shares quintupling again :-) Peter M

Old November 15th 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 15 Nov 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Alex wrote:

some servers only accept connections from my IP.

get a cheap Freedom to Surf a/c for the fixed IP, and access to specific
servers: I haven't felt the need to lock things to my fixed IP, but in
any case, I do most browsing etc from a second ISP, UKFSN.org, on a
dynamic IP... handy when looking at competitors' web sites :-)

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Old November 15th 04, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Peter M wrote in
news
A dynamic IP is no problem for *downloaders*

Unless you're part of one of the groups of traders who are paranoid to the
full and take every precuation to prevent people that could cause problems
from getting in.

--
Colin