OnSpeed

Old November 15th 04, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed

Default OnSpeed

I often see OnSpeed advertised in the press as a real alternative to
broadband as it uses your existing dial-up connection and ISP. It
claims that its software works by compressing data harder, so that
information comes through faster. Using this technology, downloads are
up to 5 times faster than standard dial-up.

Me, I'm already on broadband but would still like any comments or
experience of this product. Has anyone here tried it?
--
Yours truly,
Ed
Old November 15th 04, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:34:47 +0000, Ed [email protected] wrote:

Me, I'm already on broadband but would still like any comments or
experience of this product. Has anyone here tried it?

contemplated it in order to collect the evidence for a complaint to
the Advertising Standards Authority.

It can compress stuff that is compressible, and can compress images by
reducing their quality, however a downlaod of an exe or zip file will
be compressed by exactly zero % and will download at a maximum of the
rated line speed of the modem at the time.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 15th 04, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\) voom

"Ed" [email protected] wrote in message
I often see OnSpeed advertised in the press as a real alternative to
broadband as it uses your existing dial-up connection and ISP. It
claims that its software works by compressing data harder, so that
information comes through faster. Using this technology, downloads are
up to 5 times faster than standard dial-up.

Me, I'm already on broadband but would still like any comments or
experience of this product. Has anyone here tried it?
--
Yours truly,
Ed

I tried the demo once and noticed that all the sites I visited looked
slightly "rough". All it did was reduce the picture quality on the sites you
visit. It did make a difference on speed to open pages but no difference in
downloading files like MP3's.

Waste of time really. I believe AOL now use it on their browser called AOL
TopSpeed.

Old November 15th 04, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Walter Hayward

In article , Phil Thompson
writes
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:34:47 +0000, Ed [email protected] wrote:

Me, I'm already on broadband but would still like any comments or
experience of this product. Has anyone here tried it?

contemplated it in order to collect the evidence for a complaint to
the Advertising Standards Authority.

It can compress stuff that is compressible, and can compress images by
reducing their quality, however a downlaod of an exe or zip file will
be compressed by exactly zero % and will download at a maximum of the
rated line speed of the modem at the time.

Phil

What's more, trying to compress an already compressed file, often
results in a larger file!

Better to simply use a faster browser such as FireFox (ever wonder why
OnSpeed is only available for use with Micro****e?). or simply switch
off images
Wally Hayward