ADSL connection dropping

Old November 15th 04, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Lane

Default ADSL connection dropping

Hi there.

My connection drops out every few hours for about 30 mins. I have tried a
new router, but get the same.

Are these setting to high / low? Any thoughts would be appreciated. BT
have been informed, but still waiting for an eng visit.

Thanks in advance.

Operation Data
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 21 dB -6 dB
Output Power 12 dBm 15.5 dBm
Attenuation 31.5 dB -63 dB

Defect Indication
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Fast Path FEC Correction 0 86
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 38 38
Fast Path CRC Error 3838 65
Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 38
Loss of Signal Defect Error ---
Loss of Frame Defect --- ---
Loss of Power Defect --- ---
Fast Path HEC Error 3409 3409
Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 40

Old November 15th 04, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:28:18 GMT, "Alex Lane"
wrote:

Hi there.

My connection drops out every few hours for about 30 mins. I have tried a
new router, but get the same.

Did you try changing your filters?

--
Hiram Hackenbacker

Old November 15th 04, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:28:18 GMT, "Alex Lane"
wrote:

Noise Margin 21 dB -6 dB

this is on the limit (I assume the - sign is a typo)

http://www.yarwell.demon.co.uk/longlines.html has some ideas and
links.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 15th 04, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDragon

try connecting directly to the master test socket.

Remove the front plate of the master socket. Behind which you will find
another socket.
Connect your modem to this using a regular modem lead (BT on one end RJ11 on
the other)
If it sync with better SNR margin, your internal wiring is to blame. Get a
filtered face plate either from a BT enginneer visit via your ISP, or DIY
from Clarity, or ADSL nation.

Old November 16th 04, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

Alex Lane wrote:

Hi there.

My connection drops out every few hours for about 30 mins. I have tried a
new router, but get the same.

Are these setting to high / low? Any thoughts would be appreciated. BT
have been informed, but still waiting for an eng visit.

Thanks in advance.

Operation Data
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 21 dB -6 dB
Output Power 12 dBm 15.5 dBm
Attenuation 31.5 dB -63 dB

Using my extension wiring my downstream noise margin ranged from 9-14db I
still used to get regular failures - typically every evening when ADSL
usage is at its peak.

Connecting directly to my master socket and isolating my extension wiring
with a filter gives me a downstream margin of about 20db and a completely
stable connection.

HTH

--
Michael Chare
Old November 16th 04, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDragon

So your issue is simple to solve. Get a faceplate filter from BT, Clarity or
ADSL Nation.