ADSL Router Recommendations?

Old November 15th 04, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mutley

Default ADSL Router Recommendations?

Hi, I'm looking to replace my D-Link DSL - 604+ with something 54G wise,

I've had loads of problems with the ADSL just dropping connection and I've
just bought a new laptop and only getting 11mbps via the wireless side.

Can anyone point me to a decent ADSL Router please?

Thanks

Pete

Old November 16th 04, 02:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Draytek Vigor 2600G is probably the best 'pro-sumer' wifi router available,
not cheap though
Also consider the 2600VG with VoIP sockets, soon to be 'must have'
equipment.
Regards,
Martin

Old November 17th 04, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Middleton

I agree with Martin in his choice of Vigor, however, if your using the WiFi
ADSL Router to connect to your broadband (ADSL) connection why worry that
you only get 11Mbps a second as I bet your broadband connection is no
greater than 2Mb and probably only 512K or 1Mb - so even if you connect to
your wireless network at 54Mb there will be no increase in your internet
access - but if your using it to network with your desktop then the increase
will help.

Bill M.

Old November 18th 04, 01:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Perkin

"Mutley" wrote in
:

Hi, I'm looking to replace my D-Link DSL - 604+ with something 54G
wise,

I've had loads of problems with the ADSL just dropping connection
and I've just bought a new laptop and only getting 11mbps via the
wireless side.

Can anyone point me to a decent ADSL Router please?

Sorry to hear of your problems - my DSL-604+ is rock solid, and I
can't remember the last time it had to be rebooted because of a
problem. Last year perhaps? I count it as one of my better purchases
of 2003.

The device does have a known issue with 'hanging'. It's caused by
internal table space getting filled up by DNS name resolutions, and
there's a trivial cu disable the DNS Proxy feature, then check
that your ISP's primary and secondary DNS server IP addresses are set
on the Configuration | DHCP Configuration on LAN screen. That's it.

Anyway, back to the topic: 802.11g speeds aren't all they're cracked
up to be, and the so-called 'extensions' to give higher speeds (the
"Turbo", Super-G", "Nitro", "Afterburner" marketing-speak) are
chipset-specific, non-standard, and problematic.

Me, I've decided to wait for 802.11n kit. I do realise that this
might be some time, but there is some so-called "pre-n" kit already
available.

The other factor is that I'd have to spend a considerable sum of
money to bring all my network up to 802.11g - I'd rather wait a
little longer. After all, the marketing men are soon going to be
preaching the benefits and advantages of 802.11n, and why should I
upgrade twice? My technolust isn't that great

Just a thought: why not by a cheap (?) 802.11g access point and wire
it to the DSL-604+? Set it to a different channel, but use the same
SSID so that you create an Extended Service Set. That way you could
have two independent access points, and could connect any legacy
802.11b or b+ wireless device to one, and 802.11g devices to the
other. This has the benefit of a phased approach to upgrading rather
than a big bang, and the added advantage of not dragging the
performance of the 802.11g kit down...

Your mileage will of course vary depending on how much it would cost
to do a comprehensive upgrade.

As far as what is 'decent' is concerned, my view is that all the
'consumer class' kit (D-Link, Netgear, Linksys etc etc) is much of a
muchness. Indeed, underneath the surface, many appararently different
devices are identical products of little known Taiwanese OEMs (eg
Global Sun Technology) rebadged, rebranded, repackaged...

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.