So, which broadband?

Old November 16th 04, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default So, which broadband?

Is it better 256k/512k UNLIMITED download by Aol, or 1Mb limited to "GB
download by wanadoo? Who's got the answer?
Thanks
E.

Old November 16th 04, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

[email protected] wrote:
Is it better 256k/512k UNLIMITED download by Aol, or 1Mb limited to
"GB download by wanadoo? Who's got the answer?
Thanks
E.

Depends on how much you want to download..! I opted for the 1Mb/6GB cap
but the most I've ever downloaded in a month was just over 2GB so I may
change down to the 2GB cap and save myself a fiver a month.

I'm not a heavy user as you can tell but the speed is important to me.
YMMV of course.

Ivor

Old November 16th 04, 02:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

E:
Is it better 256k/512k UNLIMITED download by Aol, or 1Mb limited to "GB
download by wanadoo? Who's got the answer?

Neither.
Consider PlusNet 1Mb/s @ £14.99 with 1Gb/m included, just £2 more for each
extra 1Gb (or £1.90 pre paid).
Unless you download lots of music, videos or warez 1 or 2 Gb is plenty.
If you use my id 'jerryw' as a referrer it will save me 25p, thanks.
Regards,
Martin

Old November 16th 04, 03:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Martin²" wrote in message
E:
Is it better 256k/512k UNLIMITED download by Aol, or 1Mb limited to "GB
download by wanadoo? Who's got the answer?

Neither.
Consider PlusNet 1Mb/s @ £14.99 with 1Gb/m included, just £2 more for

each
extra 1Gb (or £1.90 pre paid).

LOL

Unless you download lots of music, videos or warez 1 or 2 Gb is plenty.

TRIPE

If you use my id 'jerryw' as a referrer it will save me 25p, thanks.
Regards,
Martin

Oh Please just FOAD

Old November 16th 04, 07:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Dave wrote:
"Martin²" wrote in message

[snip]

Unless you download lots of music, videos or warez 1 or 2 Gb is
plenty.

TRIPE

Not so, I've only ever once exceeded 2GB. YMMV.

Ivor

Old November 16th 04, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed

Dave wrote:
"Martin²" wrote in message

Unless you download lots of music, videos or warez 1 or 2 Gb is plenty.

TRIPE

Dave,

Why do you think that 1 or 2 Gb per month may not be sufficient?

I run my PC about 8 hours a day reading email, newsgroups, web browsing,
downloading anti-viral updates etc , but not music or videos.

I monitor the daily usage using NicMeter and so far I am using well
under 0.5 Gb per month. I wish I had found this out before I subscribed
to an unlimited package and so save quite a lot of monthly fee. So now
I am thinking of switching to a 1Gb package and save 6 quid a month.

--
Yours truly,
Ed
Old November 16th 04, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:08:17 +0000, in uk.telecom.broadband,
Ed [email protected] wrote:

Why do you think that 1 or 2 Gb per month may not be sufficient?

I run my PC about 8 hours a day reading email, newsgroups, web browsing,
downloading anti-viral updates etc , but not music or videos.

It comes from the fairly widespread trend that when some features are made
easier (whether downloading software, or anything else) you are likely to
use them more rather than not... Perhaps also that while some are a shade
over 40, and perhaps not such avid downloaders, there is a wider range of
services. See www.CinemaNow.com (I used them for a free trial for a week)
which offers streaming video (7-800 films) or download and view later (it
was that method I used more often) where individual items may be 3-700 MB.

Some share music, software or films. Or run a file server to allow others
to grab files you have on your PC(s). Others might watch porn shows or
put their own shows on (!!)... With streaming audio service, news clips,
even your local Council webcam is a possibility. It all adds up.

A few hours using VNC (free application that allows remote control of a
PC) I clocked up a few hundred MB while helping a lady with some problem.
2-300 MB may be a part of a day's use for some, but it was a big chunk of
their 1 GB/month quota. Lots of possible uses for the net... Peter M.

Old November 16th 04, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
"Martin²" wrote in message

[snip]

Unless you download lots of music, videos or warez 1 or 2 Gb is
plenty.

TRIPE

Not so, I've only ever once exceeded 2GB. YMMV.

Its TRIPE cos the limit is also based on your upload rate, if you are a
legit home worker receiving email and sending and receiving documentation,
files etc back and forth you will break the 2GB limit easily, especially
when plusnet dont even classify 1GB as 1GB

Old November 16th 04, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Ed" [email protected] wrote in message
Dave wrote:
"Martin²" wrote in message

Unless you download lots of music, videos or warez 1 or 2 Gb is plenty.

TRIPE

Dave,

Why do you think that 1 or 2 Gb per month may not be sufficient?

See my reply to Ivor

I run my PC about 8 hours a day reading email, newsgroups, web browsing,
downloading anti-viral updates etc , but not music or videos.

Fine you want broadband for use that you dont really need it for, thats up
to you.

I monitor the daily usage using NicMeter and so far I am using well
under 0.5 Gb per month. I wish I had found this out before I subscribed

Yikes that is low, you cant be doing much in the 8 Hours you are online per
day.

to an unlimited package and so save quite a lot of monthly fee. So now
I am thinking of switching to a 1Gb package and save 6 quid a month.

I dont blame you, if my use was that low id pay the cheaper option

Old November 16th 04, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Ed [email protected] wrote:

Why do you think that 1 or 2 Gb per month may not be sufficient?

I run my PC about 8 hours a day reading email, newsgroups, web browsing,
downloading anti-viral updates etc , but not music or videos.

It comes from the fairly widespread trend that when some features are

made
easier (whether downloading software, or anything else) you are likely

use them more rather than not... Perhaps also that while some are a

shade
over 40, and perhaps not such avid downloaders, there is a wider range of
services. See www.CinemaNow.com (I used them for a free trial for a

week)
which offers streaming video (7-800 films) or download and view later (it
was that method I used more often) where individual items may be 3-700

MB.

Yep, and then dont forget large software updates like xp sp2 and maybe a
bit of radio listening, also if you work from home and email stuff back and
forth it soon mounts up.

Some share music, software or films. Or run a file server to allow

others
to grab files you have on your PC(s). Others might watch porn shows or
put their own shows on (!!)... With streaming audio service, news clips,
even your local Council webcam is a possibility. It all adds up.

Yep, also when they offer 250mb of web space, i would at the least like to
be able to use it to its fullest extent, personally i would setup an FTP
using it, perhaps putting free useful software and updates all in the one
place for users to access, im sure that after just the first week in a
month i would be classed as a heavy user of their service, even though in
theory it could be possible i wouldnt have downloaded a single thing but
just let others blow my bandwidth..

A few hours using VNC (free application that allows remote control of a
PC) I clocked up a few hundred MB while helping a lady with some problem.
2-300 MB may be a part of a day's use for some, but it was a big chunk of
their 1 GB/month quota. Lots of possible uses for the net... Peter M.

For once Peter you and I are in complete agreement