Netgear DG834G modem router which is the led for line synch?

Old November 16th 04, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Netgear DG834G modem router which is the led for line synch?

I'am in the middle of considering which adsl modem/router to purchase
and have downloaded the Netgear DG834G wireless adsl modem router
manual from the netgear website. Could someone please tell me which
led on the front of the router tells you that there is adsl on the
line once the router is connected to it.

Looking at the manual which i downloaded it mentions that when the
internet led blinks amber it indicates adsl training, the manual also
states that when the internet port has detected a link with an
attached device that same led will remain green and will stay on, can
someone confirm that is the led that im looking for?

One more thing is it possible for a router to log out of an adsl
connection for example, if someone wanted to use the web browser
without going online?

Thanks in advance.

du.
Old November 16th 04, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

I'am in the middle of considering which adsl modem/router to purchase
and have downloaded the Netgear DG834G wireless adsl modem router
manual from the netgear website. Could someone please tell me which
led on the front of the router tells you that there is adsl on the
line once the router is connected to it.

Looking at the manual which i downloaded it mentions that when the
internet led blinks amber it indicates adsl training, the manual also
states that when the internet port has detected a link with an
attached device that same led will remain green and will stay on, can
someone confirm that is the led that im looking for?

Yes, I'm sure that's the one. I don't know this router intimately, but if
it's like other routers, there will only be one LED for ADSL. On my 3Com
router, it's labelled "synch" - and blinks while trying to synch and stays
on solidly once it succeeds. [I don't know what - if anything - it does if
you connect the router to a line which is not ADSL enabled].

There will probably be an additional LED which comes on once the router has
successfully logged on to your ISP account, and which blinks during data
transmission.

One more thing is it possible for a router to log out of an adsl
connection for example, if someone wanted to use the web browser
without going online?

If you log onto the router from your browser (but putting its IP address on
the address line) you can tell it to drop the connection. If you have other
PCs connected they will, of course, also lose their connections when you do
this.

But you don't *have* to drop the connection to use the browser for off-line
activities - you just point it at local resources. With an ADSL account you
are paying for an "always on" connection - so you don't save anything by
going off-line. Most people with routers leave them connected 24x7.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old November 16th 04, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
b0yce

wrote in message
I'am in the middle of considering which adsl modem/router to purchase
and have downloaded the Netgear DG834G wireless adsl modem router
manual from the netgear website. Could someone please tell me which
led on the front of the router tells you that there is adsl on the
line once the router is connected to it.

Off-hand it's the second one from the left, the first being power.

Looking at the manual which i downloaded it mentions that when the
internet led blinks amber it indicates adsl training, the manual also
states that when the internet port has detected a link with an
attached device that same led will remain green and will stay on, can
someone confirm that is the led that im looking for?

You are correct this is the ADSL indication light (LED)

One more thing is it possible for a router to log out of an adsl
connection for example, if someone wanted to use the web browser
without going online?

Yes it's possible with the DG834G, there is an option to Disconnect.

b0yce