Pipex broadband and newsgroups

Old November 16th 04, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Newboy

Default Pipex broadband and newsgroups

I signed up to Pipex broadband because it was recommended to me, but I find
although most web pages download fairly rapidly, it is not the case in the
newsgroups.
I am only trying to download text, and it takes ages, infact it was quicker
on the old BT dial up (much quicker) this is the server I am trying to
connect to, nntp.dsl.pipex.com
Am I doing something wrong ?
Frankly I am disappointed with Pipex.

Cheers
Newsboy.

Old November 16th 04, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron S

Newboy blurted on Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:12:42 -0000:

I signed up to Pipex broadband because it was recommended to me, but I find
although most web pages download fairly rapidly, it is not the case in the
newsgroups.
I am only trying to download text, and it takes ages, infact it was quicker
on the old BT dial up (much quicker) this is the server I am trying to
connect to, nntp.dsl.pipex.com
Am I doing something wrong ?
Frankly I am disappointed with Pipex.

Cheers
Newsboy.

You don't say how long you have been with Pipex...you could sign up for a
News Account at http://www.individual.net/ (it is free), and see if that
d/ls faster. If it does it'll mean Pipex are having News Server problems
and hopefully they'll be able to sort it out soon.

--
The nice thing about egotists is that they don't talk about other people.
*Lucille S.Harper*
Old November 16th 04, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sneaky_russian

If you are just using text then try using

news-text.dsl.pipex.com

.. .

Old November 16th 04, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Newboy

"Ron S" wrote in message
. ..
Newboy blurted on Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:12:42 -0000:

"Blurted" !!!!!! Oh right, thanks Ron.

Old November 16th 04, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron S

Newboy blurted on Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:48:47 -0000:

"Blurted" !!!!!! Oh right, thanks Ron.

Ain't nothing personal :-) I've used it for years :-)

--
Men are just the happiest people
Because Phone conversations are over in 30 seconds flat.
Old November 17th 04, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed

Sneaky_russian wrote:
If you are just using text then try using

news-text.dsl.pipex.com

"Newboy" wrote in message
.. .

I signed up to Pipex broadband because it was recommended to me, but I find
although most web pages download fairly rapidly, it is not the case in the
newsgroups.
I am only trying to download text, and it takes ages, infact it was
quicker
on the old BT dial up (much quicker) this is the server I am trying to
connect to, nntp.dsl.pipex.com
Am I doing something wrong ?
Frankly I am disappointed with Pipex.

Cheers
Newsboy.

What else could be used besides text? Do some newsgroups use images?
But if one was using text only, would it matter which news server to choose?

--
Yours truly,
Ed
Old November 17th 04, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 17 Nov 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Ed wrote:

What else could be used besides text? Do some newsgroups use images?

There are a variety of types of binary, from software (warez - usually s/w
which has had licence control broken, allowing free use without paying for
ot - ie breaking copyright law) to movies to images and audio (albums, or
singles, or almost anything you can think of) in alt.* newsgroups mostly.

See http://www.usenet-provider.com/ or http://www.usenetbinaries.com/

But if one was using text only, would it matter which news server to choose?

Since storing thousands of GB of binaries can place a heavy load on news
servers, some split the binaries onto specific servers, and provide just
text newsgroups from what is often a faster, less loaded, server. Peter

Old November 17th 04, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed

poster wrote:
On 17 Nov 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Ed wrote:

What else could be used besides text? Do some newsgroups use images?

There are a variety of types of binary, from software (warez - usually s/w
which has had licence control broken, allowing free use without paying for
ot - ie breaking copyright law) to movies to images and audio (albums, or
singles, or almost anything you can think of) in alt.* newsgroups mostly.

See http://www.usenet-provider.com/ or http://www.usenetbinaries.com/

But if one was using text only, would it matter which news server to choose?

Since storing thousands of GB of binaries can place a heavy load on news
servers, some split the binaries onto specific servers, and provide just
text newsgroups from what is often a faster, less loaded, server. Peter

So, as I'm not into binaries, then it would be more efficient for me to
use news-text.dsl.pipex.com? Is that correct?

--
Yours truly,
Ed
Old November 18th 04, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 17 Nov 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Ed wrote:

then it would be more efficient for me to use news-text.dsl.pipex.com?

I'd suggest you use whichever one(s) you find are fast and give you all
the headers. Using MS OE, or Netscape, etc, you could easily create a
pair of news server entries, one for the text-only and one for their
binaries service. Take some specific (not too busy) newsgroup and get
all the headers from both servers. If the count of headers is the same
then use whichever was faster getting the list of newsgroups and headers

As an academic exercise, you could also compare with another news service
if you have access to one - Univ. of Berlin runs news.individual.net as
a free service (I've never used it, so cannot say how easy it is to open
an account, but plenty of people find it a reliable service, and if you
later switch ISP, you'd make no changes to the settings and news would
have the same article numbers, so would carry on without problem).

Old November 18th 04, 03:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Univ. of Berlin runs news.individual.net as a free service (I've
never used it, so cannot say how easy it is to open an account, but
plenty of people find it a reliable service

Very good, very reliable - text only groups though.

Signup is usually by return of email within 24 hours, and they give you a
login and password - in my case, its my surname and a password.