Any one on TalkTalk Broadband, Any Good?

Old November 16th 04, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

Default Any one on TalkTalk Broadband, Any Good?

As Above, Just thinking of joining?
Regards
Mark

Old November 17th 04, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denyo

"Mark" [email protected] wrote in message ...
As Above, Just thinking of joining?
Regards
Mark

Signed up on the phone 11 days ago. They told me it would take about
5-10 days and they would send a letter confirming when I could start
using TalkTalk. And oh, what joy! Nothing has arrived so far. No
letter, no modem.
Old November 17th 04, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

"Mark" [email protected] wrote in message ...
As Above, Just thinking of joining?
Regards
Mark

I signed up on the 4th of November, and was told it would be 2 weeks
until it was activated (the 18th).

On the 8th, they called back to say there was a problem and it would
be 2 weeks from that point (the 22nd).

On the 10th, I got a letter saying it would be active on the 11th, and
a modem would be delivered that day.

On the 11th, no modem arrived.
On the 12th, I phoned them to find out why, and they said the order
wasn't entered correctly by the salesman, and that they would send me
a modem immediately.

On the 15th, the modem arrived. I popped the CD in, it installed the
drivers for the modem. I plugged in the modem, I typed my
username/password, and I was online. Took about 3 minutes from the
time I opened the box until I was online.

They apologised profusely for the delay in the modem, said the
salesman would be in deep doo-doo over it, and credited my account to
reflect the delay.

At the end of the day though, it was active three days sooner than
promised, so how can I really complain???

As for the service itself, it's great. I did have one brief problem
when I took my laptop to another room, but I think that was the phone
cable I used (it's been great otherwise). 512k speed is what I should
have, and the bandwidth checking sites have said it's actually between
350 and 510 (usually upper 400s). It uses IPStream (which is a
BT-managed dsl network, not the DataStream system managed by Tiscali,
Tesco, and other discount providers). It does require a 12 month
contract, but for free modem/activation that's standard. There are no
caps on usage, except a "fair usage" policy (meaning if you use so
much that it causes problems for others, they'll tell you off, but
you're looking at 20g/month I'd think before that happens).

Oh, and their software is nice. It's basically nothing. It's their
logo as an icon on a shortcut to Windows' own dialer software!! It
also has a small network status program that sits in your tray, very
un-obtrusively and easy to close.

And I get free weekend and evening calls throughout the UK, US,
Canada, and Australia for the next year... That's included with the
broadband service for 19.99 a month!!

Basically, other than the problem with the modem not being sent--which
was fixed as soon as I contacted them about it--and the faulty
connection that I think is the fault of my own lousy wire (not the one
they sent with the modem), I've had no complaints so far. Only had it
a few days, but it's been great in those days!!

If you'd like to save an additional 20, drop me an email and I can
send you a Referral code. Anybody who gets referred to TalkTalk this
month gets a 20 credit on their account. I'd be happy to refer
anybody who wants it!! Any other questions, also email me.

Hope this helps!!
Old November 17th 04, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

"Scott" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Thanks Scot for that, thinking of the 1MB service, also do you get a static
IP
address or is it dynamic?
Also hows the web mail system, just wondering if you can use aliases as I
have my own domain name?
Interested in the referral, what do you need to do it?
Regards
Mark

Old November 19th 04, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

Default TalkTalk Broadband- more details, plus save 20quid!

"Mark" [email protected] wrote in message ...
"Scott" wrote in message
m...
"Mark" [email protected] wrote in message

*snip*

Thanks Scot for that, thinking of the 1MB service, also do you get a static
IP
address or is it dynamic?
Also hows the web mail system, just wondering if you can use aliases as I
have my own domain name?
Interested in the referral, what do you need to do it?

Like I said (in an email to you mark), I believe it's a static IP
address, but I'm not 100% sure. I've had the same address all week, so
either it's static or an amazing coincidence!!

I've not used their webmail system, but I've had no problems running
an SMTP server of my own with the service.

As for the referral, I've already emailed a code to Mark.
If anybody else wants to save 20 when you sign up, just email me! Any
other questions, just ask!

-scott