Broadband connundrum

Old November 16th 04, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterT

Default Broadband connundrum

Apologies if this type of problem has been posted and already answered
I had a quick scan but couldn't see it.

I signed up with OneTel broadband four months ago and everything
seemed to be going fine, went for the 512 line, they sent me the
Speedtouch 330 USB modem and I was a happy bunny downloading every-
thing I wanted, as much as I wanted.
Then suddenly the line went a bit funny, I switched on my computer and
connected to my broadband connection. It disconnected after a minute
or so by itself, clicked my connection icon again and same thing.
Then it stopped completely to connect to it coming up with the message
'Error 680 No Dial Tone'. Calling OneTel tech support resolved nothing.
They claimed to have tested the line two or three times with no error
reported. I tried two different computers on my end with three different
modems (Speedtouch 330, BT Voyager, Belkin ADSL Modem and Wireless Router).
I tried three different cables, four different micro-filters, with and
without the filters, I even dismantled my BT phone socket, as someone
mentioned that some contain a secondary test socket. No result.
The landline phone on the same line works fine. I then took my laptop
to a friends place who's with BT broadband, connected to his line, hit
my connection button, and it tried to connect but came back with the
expected message that it was the wrong login details.

Now what is wrong with my line? I have had no broadband for four weeks now,
but OneTel is happily taking my money as they say I have no reason to
complain as they tested the line. Please, please any pointers and ideas
or maybe even outright answers. ;-(

--
pt

Old November 16th 04, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"PeterT" wrote in message
Apologies if this type of problem has been posted and already answered
I had a quick scan but couldn't see it.

I signed up with OneTel broadband four months ago and everything
seemed to be going fine, went for the 512 line, they sent me the
Speedtouch 330 USB modem and I was a happy bunny downloading every-
thing I wanted, as much as I wanted.
Then suddenly the line went a bit funny, I switched on my computer and
connected to my broadband connection. It disconnected after a minute
or so by itself, clicked my connection icon again and same thing.
Then it stopped completely to connect to it coming up with the message
'Error 680 No Dial Tone'.

I had a similar problem with Tesco and Speedtouch, thier Support had me
un-install the s/w and re-install from the set up Cd.
All Ok now.
--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group.

Old November 16th 04, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:08:49 -0000, "PeterT"
wrote:

Now what is wrong with my line? I have had no broadband for four weeks now,
but OneTel is happily taking my money as they say I have no reason to
complain as they tested the line.

there could be an interference source affecting your line, or a line
fault increasing the loss. What speeds were you offered by
www.bt.com/broadband number checker ? if its only 256/512 or it says
"very unlikely" then your line is long and may be prone to
difficulties.

I think you have connected to the backplane test socket on the master
socket and still no good ? If so you need a BT ADSL engineer to attend
and try with his kit then attempt resolution. You request this via the
ISP, it is their job to get broadband working and once they've
eliminated sillies on your end they should ask BT to turn out.

The BT Voyager 105 is the usual BT kit used for testing. If it won't
sync then you have a problem.

You may have to ask for a supervisor or write to them to break through
the brown crust on the "support" lines.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 16th 04, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Then suddenly the line went a bit funny, I switched on my computer and
connected to my broadband connection. It disconnected after a minute
or so by itself, clicked my connection icon again and same thing.
Then it stopped completely to connect to it coming up with the message
'Error 680 No Dial Tone'.

Have you added any USB devices in the meantime ? Speedtouch modems tend
to draw more than the theoretical maximum from a USB port, and adding
something else onto the same port might be enough to make it shut itself
off for safety.

If a reboot cures this "no dial tone" message, its quite possibly USB
power related.

Old November 16th 04, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterT

Phil Thompson
PeterT

Now what is wrong with my line? I have had no broadband for four weeks

now,
but OneTel is happily taking my money as they say I have no reason to
complain as they tested the line.

there could be an interference source affecting your line, or a line
fault increasing the loss. What speeds were you offered by
www.bt.com/broadband number checker ? if its only 256/512 or it says
"very unlikely" then your line is long and may be prone to
difficulties.

My line should be good for up to 2MB speed according to every bb number
checker I tried, including the BT one.

I think you have connected to the backplane test socket on the master
socket and still no good ? If so you need a BT ADSL engineer to attend
and try with his kit then attempt resolution. You request this via the
ISP, it is their job to get broadband working and once they've
eliminated sillies on your end they should ask BT to turn out.

I haven't tried the test socket on my master socket phone line, as
there didn't exist such a thing when I looked into my socket. Prolly
due to when the old house I live in was converted to flats by numpties.

The BT Voyager 105 is the usual BT kit used for testing. If it won't
sync then you have a problem.

I tried a BT Voyager too, but can't say which exact model it is right
now, as I'm not at home. But probably the 105.

You may have to ask for a supervisor or write to them to break through
the brown crust on the "support" lines.

I tried to ask for a supervisor, and according to the crust[1] of
support lines I will be called by one tomorrow. So if I get one I
will try again to get them to send an BT engineer, although I did
request this a few times already and frankly **** all happened. So
I'm microns fromt he end of my tether.

[1] I refrain from the adjective as most call centres are placed colour
sensitive.

--
pt

Old November 16th 04, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterT

Colin Wilson

Then suddenly the line went a bit funny, I switched on my computer and
connected to my broadband connection. It disconnected after a minute
or so by itself, clicked my connection icon again and same thing.
Then it stopped completely to connect to it coming up with the message
'Error 680 No Dial Tone'.

Have you added any USB devices in the meantime ? Speedtouch modems tend
to draw more than the theoretical maximum from a USB port, and adding
something else onto the same port might be enough to make it shut itself
off for safety.

If a reboot cures this "no dial tone" message, its quite possibly USB
power related.

Nope. Valid point if I hadn't tried two other modems, one of which isn't
an USB one, with the same result.

--
pt

Old November 16th 04, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterT

David
PeterT

Apologies if this type of problem has been posted and already answered
I had a quick scan but couldn't see it.

I signed up with OneTel broadband four months ago and everything
seemed to be going fine, went for the 512 line, they sent me the
Speedtouch 330 USB modem and I was a happy bunny downloading every-
thing I wanted, as much as I wanted.
Then suddenly the line went a bit funny, I switched on my computer and
connected to my broadband connection. It disconnected after a minute
or so by itself, clicked my connection icon again and same thing.
Then it stopped completely to connect to it coming up with the message
'Error 680 No Dial Tone'.

I had a similar problem with Tesco and Speedtouch, thier Support had me
un-install the s/w and re-install from the set up Cd.
All Ok now.

Forgot to mention that I obviously rebooted and reinstalled every computer
and driver I tried, which are quite a few.

--
pt

Old November 16th 04, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:11:49 -0000, "PeterT"
wrote:

[1] I refrain from the adjective as most call centres are placed colour
sensitive.

it was a bovine scatology reference, but I take the point about
colour.

The 2M capability would normally rule out poor line or interference
issues although it is entirely possible that someone screwed up your
connection at the exchange ie there isn't actually any ADSL on the
line.

The BT eng should "normalise" the wiring with a faceplate type master
socket and if necessary a filtered faceplate. You ought not to need
this but if they get the ADSL to work with the wires entering your
flat (by disconnecting the extension wiring) then they'll put that in
to isolate the internal wiring.

If the tether looks like breaking you could contemplate hooking up to
the pair of wires entering your flat after disconnecting them from
everything else in the flat. If it don't work there they'll check it
at the exchange and then diagnose their way along the line.

Good luck !

Phil
Old November 16th 04, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

PeterT wrote:

[...]

I suggest you ring BT on 152 and ask them to check your line (for voice).
If necessary say that sometimes the line is a bit crackly.

If the BT tests show a fault they will fix it FOC.

A fallen branch caused my line to be crossed with a neighbours. My phone
still worked although the dial tone was not clear. My ADSL modem/router
would manage to sync for about 2 minutes every hour. My V90 voice modem got
about 14,400bps or nothing. The BT line test showed a fault and the problem
was then fixed.

--
Michael Chare