Wiring a modified BT ADSL faceplate

Old November 17th 04, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
db

Default Wiring a modified BT ADSL faceplate

Well my modified BT ADSL faceplate has finally arrived from clarity,
but I need help to wire it up. I'm ok at the faceplate end, Wires
2,3,4 & 5 are self explanitory. I intend to use the other two wires (1
& 6) to push ADSL around the rest of the house using the A & B
terminals. I have also bought an ADSL plate for the phone socket by
the computer. Here is where I need confirmation. Clarity say on their
site to wire up the two blue terminals of the ADSL plate (sticker says
586B and they are labelled Blue1 & Blue/White1). Is this correct? Does
it matter which way round they are connected (ie A could go to either
blue1 or blue/white1 or must A go to blue1).

TIA for any help,
db.
Old November 17th 04, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

db wrote:

Well my modified BT ADSL faceplate has finally arrived from clarity,
but I need help to wire it up. I'm ok at the faceplate end, Wires
2,3,4 & 5 are self explanitory. I intend to use the other two wires (1
& 6) to push ADSL around the rest of the house using the A & B
terminals. I have also bought an ADSL plate for the phone socket by
the computer. Here is where I need confirmation. Clarity say on their
site to wire up the two blue terminals of the ADSL plate (sticker says
586B and they are labelled Blue1 & Blue/White1). Is this correct? Does
it matter which way round they are connected (ie A could go to either
blue1 or blue/white1 or must A go to blue1).

TIA for any help,
db.

The ADSL signal isn't polarity conscious - so it doesn't matter which way
round it's wired. What *does* matter though is that it's presented on the
middle 2 pins of the outlet socket. So on RJ11 (6 pins) you use 3&4 and on
RJ45 (8 pins) you use 4&5. [I don't know whether your faceplate has an RJ11
or RJ45 outlet - but it doesn't matter as long as you use the right pins -
the RJ11 plug on your modem lead will fit either type of socket].
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old November 17th 04, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article , Tiscali Tim says...

The ADSL signal isn't polarity conscious - so it doesn't matter which way
round it's wired. What *does* matter though is that it's presented on the
middle 2 pins of the outlet socket. So on RJ11 (6 pins) you use 3&4 and on
RJ45 (8 pins) you use 4&5. [I don't know whether your faceplate has an RJ11
or RJ45 outlet - but it doesn't matter as long as you use the right pins -
the RJ11 plug on your modem lead will fit either type of socket].

Chuffing hell Tim, you'll have Mark and Bob telling you you're a
heretic. 2 wires? How dare you fly in the face of convention? 4
connections on a RJ11 so you'd better well wire em all up. Didn't you
know that the ADSL modem won't ring without the third wire hooked up?
:-p

:-)

--
Conor

Normality will be restored once we work out what normality actually is.