BroadbanterBanter

BroadbanterBanter (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/uk-telecom-broadband-uk-broadband/)
-   -   802.11g Wireless Router/Firewall/Print Servers? (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/17278-802-11g-wireless-router-firewall-print.html)

Fred Finisterre November 18th 04 03:19 AM

802.11g Wireless Router/Firewall/Print Servers?

Hello,

Looking to put one of these in for a small company in a managed building.
Their broadband (as they are calling it) presentation is via an Ethernet
port, so I don't need any ADSL functionaliy. Just Router/Firewall and a USB
print server. VPN would be good, and SMTP if poss.

Budget around £150. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Fred.

PJB November 18th 04 10:29 AM

"Fred Finisterre" wrote in message
Hello,

Looking to put one of these in for a small company in a managed building.
Their broadband (as they are calling it) presentation is via an Ethernet
port, so I don't need any ADSL functionaliy. Just Router/Firewall and a

USB
print server. VPN would be good, and SMTP if poss.

Budget around £150. Any ideas?

look at Cable/DSL routers from the likes of Vigor, Netgear,D-link,Linksys
etc. Do you mean SNMP or SMTP? (SMTP is a service provided by a pc, not the
router)

P.

Fred Finisterre November 18th 04 11:07 AM

PJB wrote:
look at Cable/DSL routers from the likes of Vigor,
Netgear,D-link,Linksys etc. Do you mean SNMP or SMTP? (SMTP is a
service provided by a pc, not the router)

P.

I did of course mean SNMP, that was a typo.

I didn't realise that cable broadband was just an ethernet input. I've never
been anywhere near cable broadband before.

I might go for the Vigor 290G.

Cheers,

Fred.

martin November 18th 04 12:35 PM

Fred Finisterre wrote:
Hello,

Looking to put one of these in for a small company in a managed building.
Their broadband (as they are calling it) presentation is via an Ethernet
port, so I don't need any ADSL functionaliy. Just Router/Firewall and a USB
print server. VPN would be good, and SMTP if poss.

Budget around £150. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Fred.

based on not enough information....what about looking at one of the
Watchguard appliances? In a commercial environment I'd not rely too much
on a router acting as a security device, I'd be strongly recomending a
proper firewall.

John Bishop November 18th 04 02:18 PM

PJB wrote:
look at Cable/DSL routers from the likes of Vigor,
Netgear,D-link,Linksys etc. Do you mean SNMP or SMTP? (SMTP is a
service provided by a pc, not the router)

P.

I did of course mean SNMP, that was a typo.

I didn't realise that cable broadband was just an ethernet input. I've

never
been anywhere near cable broadband before.

I might go for the Vigor 290G.

Cheers,

Fred.

The vigor 2600G is excellent, i've just installed two into a company across
two offices. They now VPN happily between sites, and I can also access from
here (40miles away) and do routine maintenance/housekeeping. Price is £129 +
vat. The 2900 has pots technology so you can connect a phone to it.

John

Martin² November 19th 04 02:35 AM

802.11g Wireless Router/Firewall/Print Servers?

Draytek Vigor 2900 is the class of the field.
You may want to consider 2900VG which has 2 VoIP phone ports
(and wifi which you don' seem to need, but there appears to be no 2900V
version )
http://www.seg.co.uk/products/a_router_compare.html
Regards,
Martin

Mark McIntyre November 24th 04 10:38 PM

802.11g Wireless Router/Firewall/Print Servers?

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:18:49 -0000, "John Bishop"
wrote:

The vigor 2600G is excellent, i've just installed two into a company across
two offices. They now VPN happily between sites, and I can also access from
here (40miles away) and do routine maintenance/housekeeping. Price is £129 +
vat. The 2900 has pots technology so you can connect a phone to it.

My SMC SMC2804WBRP-G is quite nice. Does everthing I could want it to
except let me talk to it properly via SNMP. It does generate SNMP
traps tho so at least I can see the logs.

Be warned that USB printservers do /not/ work with multifunction
devices such as combi printer/scanners. NOT even for just printing.