How long can BT make me wait?

Old November 18th 04, 08:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

Default How long can BT make me wait?

In message 1100760331.aVRwi/3/[email protected], DeeBee
writes

They gave a start date of 12 Nov but according to EFH, BT have put the order
on hold because there is not enough capacity at the exchange. The order is
on hold until BT sort out more capacity.

EFH says they have never been in this situation and are chasing BT.

Seems to me like it will be an ever more frequent problem. There is a
shortage of real copper lines back to the exchange.

Has anyone here come accoss this situation before and how long can BT makje
us wait until the decide my folk can get ADSL.

BTW all the web site with ADSL availabilty checker say their phone number is
OK fot broadband and also their dial up is so bad and unreliable that after
several complaints to BT who say they can do nothing about it and that we
should consider broadband - but when we have finally given in and gone for
ADSL they can't do that either.

Any ideas or help greatly appreciated

Almost certainly they have been DACS'd. There is a grubby little two way
splitter somewhere nearby up a pole or in a cabinet. It crucifies dialup
connectivity and fax. Voice degradation is barely noticeable.

Check uk.telecom for current diagnostics numbers to measure your line
audio bandwidth - that frequency response curve will show if it is on
DACS or not. If it is then you are stuck waiting until they can find a
spare line or pinch a real copper line off some poor sap to give to you.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old November 19th 04, 01:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Almost certainly they have been DACS'd.

SNIP
..
Voice degradation is barely noticeable.

Maybe I have a musical ear or something but I can always tell if a line has
a DACS.
Not so much on the voice quality, but the dialtone and NU tone sounds
different, sort of choppy, no doubt due to the extra sampling.

Cable phone lines (at least NTL ones) sound the same way too.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 19th 04, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

.
Voice degradation is barely noticeable.

Maybe I have a musical ear or something but I can always tell if a
line has a DACS.
Not so much on the voice quality, but the dialtone and NU tone sounds
different, sort of choppy, no doubt due to the extra sampling.

Cable phone lines (at least NTL ones) sound the same way too.

I could always hear high pitched background tones on DACS lines, for some
reason....