ADSL Panic!

Old November 18th 04, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default ADSL Panic!

Anybody here understand how the BT telephone system works and put my
mind at rest!?

Moving on saturday to ADSL area. Existing number is ceased but I put it
into ADSL checker along with postcode and it told me yeah, u can prolly
have 2mb, which is what I was after.

Speaking to BT now the get the line reactivated and they guy tells me
can' t have the old number, have to have a new one, which he gives me.

Put that in the checker with the post code and it says, 512mb only!

Spoke to guy again and he assures me it's cos numbers are reused and
the adsl checker will be checking it in relation to it's old location,
in this case in a 512kb only area. All this happened today so it sounds
plausible. He reckoned in this case the postcode is more reliable until
the new number is updated in the adsl checker database.

Does this make sense?

If it makes any difference samknows tells me the place is 3.05km from
exchange as crow flies.

Steve

Old November 18th 04, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:32:12 +0000, Steve wrote:

Does this make sense?

yes, exept its 512k not 512m. A new or recycled number can have no
data or wrong data. Use 192.com or the like to find houses in the same
street, get their number and check them at www.bt.com/broadband

in a few days the number may match the location

Phil
Old November 18th 04, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

[...]

If it is still saying that when you go to order, then ask your ISP to
submit a manual order fro 2Mb. At that distance, you will almost
certainly be able to get it, unless your line goes all over the place
to get there.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
It works better if you plug it in.

Old November 18th 04, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Use.Netuser.de

Steve wrote in message ...
Moving on saturday to ADSL area. Existing number is ceased but I put it
into ADSL checker along with postcode and it told me yeah, u can prolly
have 2mb, which is what I was after.

If the line is ceased chances are it's been removed (though unlikely) from
the database hence postcode would be the way to go.

Speaking to BT now the get the line reactivated and they guy tells me
can' t have the old number, have to have a new one, which he gives me.

Put that in the checker with the post code and it says, 512mb only!

There may be no relationship between the new number and the true location so
again postcode would be the best scenario.

Spoke to guy again and he assures me it's cos numbers are reused and
the adsl checker will be checking it in relation to it's old location,
in this case in a 512kb only area. All this happened today so it sounds
plausible. He reckoned in this case the postcode is more reliable until
the new number is updated in the adsl checker database.

Does this make sense?

Perfect sense. The number is allocated to a postcode and that postcode is
either ok or not for ADSL. I would guess when a number is allocated to the
actual address other considerations are added such as actual true line
length of the copper, the DSLAM installed at the exchange and known issues
with copper such as inline legacy components.

If it makes any difference samknows tells me the place is 3.05km from
exchange as crow flies.

So that could mean 2km or 10km depending on how the copper is routed to the
address.

Old November 18th 04, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jo

"Use.Netuser.de" wrote in
:

If it makes any difference samknows tells me the place is
3.05km from exchange as crow flies.

So that could mean 2km or 10km depending on how the copper is
routed to the address.

Assuming 3.05km is accurate and that crows fly in a straight line at
a constant altitude, how could the 'copper' distance be 2km?
Old November 18th 04, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On 18 Nov 2004 23:05:53 GMT, Jo wrote:

Assuming 3.05km is accurate and that crows fly in a straight line at
a constant altitude, how could the 'copper' distance be 2km?

The surface of the earth is REALLY curved in berlin.... :-)

Old November 19th 04, 12:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
xxxxxxxxxx

The location of BT main phone cables, which overheads are fed from, has
nothing to do with flying crows, they tend to follow roads.

Jas

Old November 19th 04, 12:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jo

Mark McIntyre wrote in
:

On 18 Nov 2004 23:05:53 GMT, Jo wrote:

Assuming 3.05km is accurate and that crows fly in a straight
line at a constant altitude, how could the 'copper' distance be
2km?

The surface of the earth is REALLY curved in berlin.... :-)

Ah I see, so 3.05 km as the crow flies is equivalent to 2 km as the
mole tunnels. And saving 33% of the cost of the wire might justify
the cost of training homing moles to do the digging, with the wire
attached to their nethers.

More bl**dy outsourcing!
Old November 19th 04, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On 19 Nov 2004 00:47:41 GMT, Jo wrote:

Mark McIntyre wrote in
:

On 18 Nov 2004 23:05:53 GMT, Jo wrote:

Assuming 3.05km is accurate and that crows fly in a straight
line at a constant altitude, how could the 'copper' distance be
2km?

The surface of the earth is REALLY curved in berlin.... :-)

Ah I see, so 3.05 km as the crow flies is equivalent to 2 km as the
mole tunnels.

Exactly, and from this you can of course deduce that the world is ~4km
in diameter.... so why can't everyone have dsl? :-)

More bl**dy outsourcing!

in this case, under-resourcing..... boom, boom...

Old November 19th 04, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

If it makes any difference samknows tells me the place is 3.05km from
exchange as crow flies.

If it is still saying that when you go to order, then ask your ISP to
submit a manual order fro 2Mb. At that distance, you will almost
certainly be able to get it, unless your line goes all over the place
to get there.

How long does the adsl checker need to update?

Steve