2 way Satellite broadband

Old November 18th 04, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
helen mccallum

Default 2 way Satellite broadband

Anyone out there had any experience with 2-way broadband delivered over
satellite? any information and web sites/ contacts would be appreciated

Helen

Old November 18th 04, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Walter Hayward

In article , helen mccallum
writes
Anyone out there had any experience with 2-way broadband delivered over
satellite? any information and web sites/ contacts would be appreciated

Helen

Not had any experience with 2 way, but just for info, I am using 1 way.
Ignoring the latency issue (which of course is worse with 2 way) it does
suffer from contention bottlenecks with my land based isp (return leg)
which often renders it slower than normal dial up.
This, coupled with the satellite contention makes it less than
worthwhile, although I must add that when using a pay as you go, non
contended isp for the return leg it is ok
Good luck with the 2 way, at least you only have to worry about latency
and one contention issue

Wally Hayward

Old November 18th 04, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

helen mccallum wrote:
Anyone out there had any experience with 2-way broadband delivered
over satellite? any information and web sites/ contacts would be
appreciated

Helen

A friend in an out of the way Warwickshire village has it there, half a
dozen of them share the satellite connection via a radio link, I don't
have any details but I'll ask him if you like, I think you'd need a few
users to make it cost effective though.

Ivor

Old November 19th 04, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:24:03 +0000 (UTC), "helen mccallum"
wrote:

Anyone out there had any experience with 2-way broadband delivered over
satellite? any information and web sites/ contacts would be appreciated

Helen

Yes. I work for a business based on an industrial park in a field.
Even though the small village of Sellindge about 2km away has had ADSL
for some time we are connected to the Hythe exchange (over the hill
and far away). Shortly before I joined the company my predecessor
signed a long contract with a business satellite broadband provider
for a 1mb connection.

The service provider, Aramiska, was basically useless in the extreme
at the beginning although the customer services and support aspect has
been considerably improved since then. It was even more frustrating
when Orbitalnet from Ashford set up a radio link to this estate and
provided our neighbours with a faster, cheaper and more reliable
service with no latency.

I have to say I have been thoroughly underwhelmed by the service for
the entire 20 months we have now been using it. The latency makes web
browsing truly painful - moving from page to page is slower than dial
up and causes any number of problems with timeouts etc. Don't even
think about trying to use a VPN.

However the 06 Sept saw the goalposts move as we suddenly came within
range of ADSL and our contract finally expired. Even though it means
halving the speed of our connection I want that satellite gone by
Christmas.

That should give you some indications of my thoughts on the subject.
I will qualify that by saying that in terms of continuously
downloading (such as when I downloaded the administrator's version of
XP-SP2) the service is lightening quick - it just takes a little while
to crank itself up to full tilt. It also costs 5 times more than the
ADSL connection.
Old November 19th 04, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Haylett

wrote:

[...]

Our experience with Aramiska mirrors yours, more or less - ADSL not an
option, so we used the 1MB satellite link for a couple of years. High
latency, fast downloads - but we did manage to run VPN over it.

Now Trilogy Telecom have enabled the local exchange we have a 1 MB ADSL
connection - much snappier, and cheaper.

However the 06 Sept saw the goalposts move as we suddenly came within
range of ADSL and our contract finally expired. Even though it means
halving the speed of our connection I want that satellite gone by
Christmas.

You'll need a rather long range missile for that - though at least it
presents you with a stationary target. But spare a thought for the
other subscribers. ;-)

Andrew.
Old November 19th 04, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:42:09 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Haylett
wrote:

You'll need a rather long range missile for that - though at least it
presents you with a stationary target.

I'll ask my pal Saddam if he can help. Oh no wait.... it turns out he
doesn't have anything useful like that :-)

But spare a thought for the other subscribers. ;-)

From a train I saw a dish on the side of a building on my way to
Exeter the other day. I nodded my head in respect as we passed.