Telewest's Rip-off (Blueyonder)

Old November 19th 04, 05:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ASI Industries

Default Telewest's Rip-off (Blueyonder)

Hi i just reconnected to Bluyonder cable 750kbits at 25 per month, no gb
cap, free install, free modem, 1 month free, 1 year contract.

I asked Telewest if o could pay the whole year in advance, rather than
monthly and i was told that thats no problem, however it will not be at 25
per month, but 27 per month as we (Telewest) levy a 2 surcharge if you
dont pay by our prefered method (monthly Direct Debit).

I dont mind paying a 2 surcharge per payment, but it does seem a rip-off
for those who prefer to pay a year in advance!

So if i choose to pay it yearly it will cost me a total of 297 =11 x 27
or 275 by monthly Direct Debit!

Old November 19th 04, 07:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

ASI Industries wrote:
Hi i just reconnected to Bluyonder cable 750kbits at 25 per month, no gb
cap, free install, free modem, 1 month free, 1 year contract.

I asked Telewest if o could pay the whole year in advance, rather than
monthly and i was told that thats no problem, however it will not be at 25
per month, but 27 per month as we (Telewest) levy a 2 surcharge if you
dont pay by our prefered method (monthly Direct Debit).

I dont mind paying a 2 surcharge per payment, but it does seem a rip-off
for those who prefer to pay a year in advance!

So if i choose to pay it yearly it will cost me a total of 297 =11 x 27
or 275 by monthly Direct Debit!

Are paying that way because you don't want to or can't set up a direct
debit?
Old November 19th 04, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"phoenix" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 05:42:34 GMT, ASI Industries wrote:

Hi i just reconnected to Bluyonder cable 750kbits at 25 per month, no gb
cap, free install, free modem, 1 month free, 1 year contract.

I asked Telewest if o could pay the whole year in advance, rather than
monthly and i was told that thats no problem, however it will not be at
25
per month, but 27 per month as we (Telewest) levy a 2 surcharge if you
dont pay by our prefered method (monthly Direct Debit).

I dont mind paying a 2 surcharge per payment, but it does seem a rip-off
for those who prefer to pay a year in advance!

So if i choose to pay it yearly it will cost me a total of 297 =11 x 27
or 275 by monthly Direct Debit!

Where's the 'rip-off' in that? You're not paying by Direct Debit so you
pay
the monthly fee of 27 x 12. The discount is only for paying by Direct
Debit as they are less expensive to process. Why can't you set-up a Direct
Debit, you get a discount for that. LOL

All those prices are explained on the Blueyonder web site.

Regards

Bill

I think what the OP is trying to say is that paying the extra 2 is OK as he
isn't going to pay by DD, but TW are trying to charge him 12 x 2 = 24,
even though it is only one transaction.

They shouldn't be allowed to charge for 12 transactions even though there
will be only one.

Old November 19th 04, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"ASI Industries" wrote
in message news:[email protected]
Hi i just reconnected to Bluyonder cable 750kbits at 25 per month, no gb
cap, free install, free modem, 1 month free, 1 year contract.

I asked Telewest if o could pay the whole year in advance, rather than
monthly and i was told that thats no problem, however it will not be at

25
per month, but 27 per month as we (Telewest) levy a 2 surcharge if you
dont pay by our prefered method (monthly Direct Debit).

I dont mind paying a 2 surcharge per payment, but it does seem a rip-off
for those who prefer to pay a year in advance!

So if i choose to pay it yearly it will cost me a total of 297 =11 x 27
or 275 by monthly Direct Debit!

No rip off at all, AFAIK telewest have always had that extra charge for non
direct debit customers, all their literature (of which i can guarantee
something comes through the letterbox every month ( ) mentions it,
granted sometimes its in the small print, but it is mentioned, so its
hardly a rip-off

Old November 19th 04, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"Steve Peake" wrote in message
.. .
On 19 Nov 2004 16:06:26 GMT, wrote:

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:58:25 -0000, "Dave"
wrote:
No rip off at all, AFAIK telewest have always had that extra charge for
non
direct debit customers, all their literature (of which i can guarantee
something comes through the letterbox every month ( ) mentions it,
granted sometimes its in the small print, but it is mentioned, so its
hardly a rip-off

Course its a rip off when they are wanting to charge the guy 24.00 for
ONE payment and yes it is in the T&C's but that is when you pay
monthly ie 2.00 pr month none direct debit charge but they cannot
charge him 24.00 when he is only making one yearly payment .
If that isn't a bloody rip off I do not know what is !!!!! .

Have you never been involved in any kind of business at all?

A normal payment is automated and typed in by a minimum wage bod on the
desk, a non regular method has to be dealt with by someone who knows what
they are doing, and needs a manual transaction. Of course there will be
an
extra cost for this, its only common sense.

Steve

We all know that businessess will charge for a manual transaction, but you
are missing the point. The question is:

Why are they going to charge for 12 transactions when all they have to do is
one? The OP is willing to pay for a years worth of BB in one go, which
should only have one transaction. TW are trying to charge the OP for 12
seperate transactions.

Old November 19th 04, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

wrote:
[...]

An extra charge for manual processing or a discount for automated
processing is costed by the organisation to be 2 per transaction. So
where does the common sense kick in by hiking the charge to 24
because a higher amount of money is paid [presumably in advance]? If I
was running a business I would say 'thank you very much for your
advance payment' and possibly offer a discount in the process! I
would also be quite ecstatic if 50% or more of my customers did the
same as well!

The OP is right in saying it is a rip off, and whatever line of
business you are in only shows that you would benefit in enrolling
with business school course.

David Bradley

Old November 19th 04, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

wrote:
No rip off at all, AFAIK telewest have always had that extra charge for

non
direct debit customers, all their literature (of which i can guarantee
something comes through the letterbox every month ( ) mentions it,
granted sometimes its in the small print, but it is mentioned, so its
hardly a rip-off

Course its a rip off when they are wanting to charge the guy 24.00 for
ONE payment and yes it is in the T&C's but that is when you pay
monthly ie 2.00 pr month none direct debit charge but they cannot
charge him 24.00 when he is only making one yearly payment .
If that isn't a bloody rip off I do not know what is !!!!! .

No they would process it a 12 monthly payments.

Old November 19th 04, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

wrote:
[...]

Yes and as the terms say you pay monthly that is quite correct.