Networking Problems - Help!!

Old November 19th 04, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rod

Default Networking Problems - Help!!

Hi Guys,
any help with the following problem would be greatly appreciated;

I have a 3 PC network in my home. Until recently, I was connected to
the internet via an NTL Cable modem (after passing through a Linksys
BEFSR41 router).

Having moved, I am now connected via BT Broadband using the BT Voyager
2000 modem/router. I've been trying to set up the same network, but to
no avail.
The BT connection seems to be set up as a seperate gateway which
dissappears as soon as I connect the Linksys router.

It may just be a simple problem, but its eluding me.

Help !!!!

Rod
Old November 19th 04, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Rod wrote:
Hi Guys,
any help with the following problem would be greatly appreciated;

I have a 3 PC network in my home. Until recently, I was connected to
the internet via an NTL Cable modem (after passing through a Linksys
BEFSR41 router).

Having moved, I am now connected via BT Broadband using the BT Voyager
2000 modem/router. I've been trying to set up the same network, but to
no avail.
The BT connection seems to be set up as a seperate gateway which
dissappears as soon as I connect the Linksys router.

It may just be a simple problem, but its eluding me.

Help !!!!

Rod

Rod

Do you connect Ok if you just connect a single PC to the Voyager? If so
you can treat the Linksys as a hub by disabling DHCP on the Linksys and
connection the LAN side of the Linksys to the Voyager

There may be other (better) ways of doing this !

JP
Old November 19th 04, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Rod wrote:

Hi Guys,
any help with the following problem would be greatly appreciated;

I have a 3 PC network in my home. Until recently, I was connected to
the internet via an NTL Cable modem (after passing through a Linksys
BEFSR41 router).

Having moved, I am now connected via BT Broadband using the BT Voyager
2000 modem/router. I've been trying to set up the same network, but to
no avail.
The BT connection seems to be set up as a seperate gateway which
dissappears as soon as I connect the Linksys router.

It may just be a simple problem, but its eluding me.

Help !!!!

Rod

Ah - well, you've replaced a cable modem with an ADSL modem/router - so you
now have *two* routers where you previously had only one - so they are
probably conflicting. Many modem routers have several ethernet ports - so
you plug all your PCs in and off you go. However, the Voyager appears to
have only one ethernet (LAN) port - so you need a hub to enable more than
one PC to connect to it.

It *may* be possible to disable the routing features of your Linksys device,
and to use that as just a hub - but I don't know enough about it to be sure.
If all else fails, read the book of words!
--
Cheers,
Tim