Demon E-mail Addresses

Old November 20th 04, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gelf

Default Demon E-mail Addresses

Just got my Home 500 ADSL account activated (7 days, start to
finish!), but not too happy with the format of the e-mail addresses.
It seems that Demon e-mail addresses have to be "user name @ host
name.demon.co.uk".
This makes for a very clunky e-mail address, whereas with Clara, you
could have "host name @ clara.co.uk" or like the Demon version above.
OK, I know you only get one address if you have "host name @
clara.co.uk", but that's all I need, as others in the house have web
mail accounts.
Is there any alternative, eg some kind of 3rd part e-mail, free or
very low cost that is POP3 or can divert itsself into my Demon
mailbox?
TIA
Gelf
Old November 20th 04, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joey

"Gelf" wrote in message
Just got my Home 500 ADSL account activated (7 days, start to
finish!), but not too happy with the format of the e-mail addresses.
It seems that Demon e-mail addresses have to be "user name @ host
name.demon.co.uk".
This makes for a very clunky e-mail address, whereas with Clara, you
could have "host name @ clara.co.uk" or like the Demon version above.
OK, I know you only get one address if you have "host name @
clara.co.uk", but that's all I need, as others in the house have web
mail accounts.
Is there any alternative, eg some kind of 3rd part e-mail, free or
very low cost that is POP3 or can divert itsself into my Demon
mailbox?
TIA
Gelf

buy a gmail account off ebay and use its pop service

Old November 20th 04, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 20 Nov 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Gelf wrote:

Is there any alternative, eg some kind of 3rd part e-mail, free or
very low cost that is POP3 or can divert itsself into my Demon
mailbox?

AFAIK, Demon have always had that format for mail address, though they
have also supplied SMTP to the customer in the past, and thus someone
might have their own domain xyzzy.co.uk and have mail forwarded to the
Demon a/c xyzzy.demon.co.uk and have it all end up on their own server
with "To" addresses of (sheesh, I would expect the
domain to have been used :-)

Why not register a .co.uk domain for under a tenner for 2 years and be
able to forward to your Demon mail account, or perhaps switch DNS to a
hosting firm and have MX records pointing to your Demon connection (if
you have a fixed IP). Peter M.

--
com/org/info/biz domains as low as $8.00/year
com/org/info/biz transfers give 12 month extension

See http://www.vfm-deals.com/ for .co.uk at under 7 quid !
Old November 20th 04, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 20 Nov 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Joey" wrote:

buy a gmail account off ebay and use its pop service

with a yahoo.co.uk you have POP access, and for free.

Old November 20th 04, 10:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:46:57 UTC, Peter M
wrote:

On 20 Nov 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Joey" wrote:

buy a gmail account off ebay and use its pop service

with a yahoo.co.uk you have POP access, and for free.

If he wants a gmail account, I'll GIVE him one.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Old November 20th 04, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian McMillan

Joey wrote in message

buy a gmail account off ebay and use its pop service

Don't be silly enough to buy one. I have 6 spare invites if you would like
one of them.

--
Ian McMillan

Old November 20th 04, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 00:11:55 +0000, Gelf wrote:

This makes for a very clunky e-mail address, whereas with Clara, you
could have "host name @ clara.co.uk"

which makes you look like an employee of clara a uk company :-)

you could use google mail (gmail) or the like and have it forward to
your demon address, or us uk2.net or other modest cost hosting
services for a domain with email. Don't clara offer a package for BT
Broadband users - http://www.clara.co.uk/btbroadband/ 10/year

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 20th 04, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 20 Nov 2004 10:05:45 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

I'll GIVE him one.

me too
Old November 20th 04, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:45:54 +0000, Peter M
wrote:

pointing to your Demon connection (if
you have a fixed IP).

Home 500 is dynamic.

Phil
Old November 20th 04, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , Gelf
writes
Just got my Home 500 ADSL account activated (7 days, start to
finish!), but not too happy with the format of the e-mail addresses.
It seems that Demon e-mail addresses have to be "user name @ host
name.demon.co.uk".
This makes for a very clunky e-mail address, whereas with Clara, you
could have "host name @ clara.co.uk" or like the Demon version above.
OK, I know you only get one address if you have "host name @
clara.co.uk", but that's all I need, as others in the house have web
mail accounts.
Is there any alternative, eg some kind of 3rd part e-mail, free or
very low cost that is POP3 or can divert itsself into my Demon
mailbox?
TIA
Gelf

So, register yourself a domain name for under a tenner for two years
(.co.uk) and redirect the email to your Demon account, the advantage of
this is that you can redirect to whatever ISP you choose regardless of
who you decide to change to in the future.
--
Clint Sharp
ame