Stupid questions......

Old November 20th 04, 08:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default Stupid questions......

A friend living in another part of the country is having probs with BT
enabling his broadband. First they said their exchange was not activated
for broadband (which obviously from sites like samknows and number checking
sites including BTs own it is and has been for a long time). Then they
said there was not capcity at the exchange (although the samknows site
indicates there is).
His exchange from the samknows site indicates his exchange has 2 DSLAMs
installed, and by all relative things he lives in quite a small town. So
now for the stupid questions.
I thought the more DSLAMs the better, no???
Are BT yanking his chain and being lazy??
Barring any probs with wiring to his house etc. Is it really likely he cant
have (512k) broadband?
Im only asking see when i contact BT for him (or he does again) one of us
can tell em straight to get their $%^ together and get his line enabled.

Old November 20th 04, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DeeBee

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Dave

Two question

Which ISP is your friend signing up with

and

which small town are we talking about here

The reason for these questions is I am having exactly the same problems
getting adsl for my parents in Workigton Cumbria with EFH broadband (the
folk doing uncapped 512 at 9.99+vat) so just wondering if it is BT getting
difficult with ISPs providong cheaper services that BT themselves.

Do you have any contact phone numbers for BT Broadband / BT Wholesale as I
want to get my folks broadband sorted.

Cheers

DeeBee

Old November 20th 04, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 07:00:04 -0000, "Dave"
wrote:

I thought the more DSLAMs the better, no???

doesn't matter, he only needs one port on one DSLAM.

Are BT yanking his chain and being lazy??

you need to explain which ISP he ordered Broadband from, "BT" is an
inadequate definition. Companies usually make money by doing nothing
and playing games with customers.

Barring any probs with wiring to his house etc. Is it really likely he cant
have (512k) broadband?

the prevailing BT regime is to allow any line to be connected up and
have a go, with the ISP requesting help from BT if the modem won't
sync. If a line has tried and failed it will be marked as not
available (Red).

There are incompatible services which would prevent it, the number
checker at www.bt.com/broadband falgs these up in its results page.

Port availabiltiy on an exchange can be checked at
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 20th 04, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:28:12 -0000, "DeeBee"
wrote:

so just wondering if it is BT getting
difficult with ISPs providong cheaper services that BT themselves.

that would be silly not to mention illegal, most ISPs using BT's
wholesale services undercut BT's retail offerring.

Going with a cheap ISP gets you an appropriate level of service. You
do not have a contractual relationship with BT in respect of ADSL
provision, it is your ISPs job.

Phil
Old November 20th 04, 02:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 20 Nov 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, Phil Thompson wrote:

Port availabiltiy on an exchange can be checked at
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

and probably gives similar to samknows.com.

I see BT's db (I assume the info for exchange code has come from them)
includes Clwyd, which was broken up several years ago... still, Royal
Mail postcode address file has Clwyd in, so it'll be another 10 years
before addresses are correct :-) Peter M

Old November 20th 04, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:55:53 +0000, Peter M
wrote:

and probably gives similar to samknows.com.

plusnet gives port availability data - where is this available on
samknows ?

Phil
Old November 20th 04, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"DeeBee" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Hes signing up with wannado (and before people start he has never had
problem with them and doesnt want advice who he should go with or any
F^^^^^^G referral nonsense..... This is why I didnt say the ISP cos i know
what will happen now.)
We know the exchange is enabled as this morning he went knocking on doors
in an around his area asking if peeps had broadband, and a few indeed have.
From that info ive entered the postcodes into the BT number checking thing
and they are all on the same exchange, (some postcodes were practically
identical) 2 people even in his own road have broadband (and yes i know its
possible they are on a differing exchange, but its been checked and they
aint.)

and

which small town are we talking about here

Sorry he doesnt want me to say (DONT ask me why, i think hes read too many
net horror stories) I will tell you the county (that dont help much though
( ) and thats kent.

The reason for these questions is I am having exactly the same problems
getting adsl for my parents in Workigton Cumbria with EFH broadband (the
folk doing uncapped 512 at 9.99+vat) so just wondering if it is BT

getting
difficult with ISPs providong cheaper services that BT themselves.

I imagine you probs are more EFHs fault, ours are BT, wannado have been
honest and called him back on one occasion after speaking with BT and sadi
that BT assured them there isnt any reason why he should not have been
connected, i think its cos its a fair way from the nearest large town
centre and BT just cant be Ar$$ed to drive out there.

Do you have any contact phone numbers for BT Broadband / BT Wholesale as

want to get my folks broadband sorted.

Not here written down, they are at his place though, when i next visit i
will jot them down

Old November 20th 04, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

wrote:

I thought the more DSLAMs the better, no???

doesn't matter, he only needs one port on one DSLAM.

This is a pretty small place compared to large towns and citys, and it has
2 DSLAMs installed, Although i realise now this makes no difference, it
gives an idea that there should be room for him.

Are BT yanking his chain and being lazy??

you need to explain which ISP he ordered Broadband from, "BT" is an

Wannado (and pleeeassse NO F^^^^^^G try this or that for the ISP or any
F^^^^^G referral crap OK)
THAT IS NOT WHAT INFO WE HAVE ASKED FOR (sorry to get a bit rude about
things, but thats the only way some will listen)

inadequate definition. Companies usually make money by doing nothing
and playing games with customers.

Barring any probs with wiring to his house etc. Is it really likely he

cant
have (512k) broadband?

the prevailing BT regime is to allow any line to be connected up and
have a go, with the ISP requesting help from BT if the modem won't
sync. If a line has tried and failed it will be marked as not
available (Red).

Nope its not been tried before, i think BT are messing him around

There are incompatible services which would prevent it, the number
checker at www.bt.com/broadband falgs these up in its results page.

Yep no probs there with extras or crap on the line.

Port availabiltiy on an exchange can be checked at
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

All green, even the last 5 dates listed at the bottom here VP capacity page
are all green as is the other port page all green.

Old November 20th 04, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Peter M" wrote in message
On 20 Nov 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, Phil Thompson wrote:

Port availabiltiy on an exchange can be checked at
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

and probably gives similar to samknows.com.

I see BT's db (I assume the info for exchange code has come from them)
includes Clwyd, which was broken up several years ago... still, Royal
Mail postcode address file has Clwyd in, so it'll be another 10 years
before addresses are correct :-) Peter M

In his case its a Old smallish town (almost village like) that hasnt had
any postcodes or new houses added for years.
So I dont think its a cockup like what you may be talking about.

Old November 20th 04, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 15:39:22 -0000, "Dave"
wrote:

(sorry to get a bit rude about
things, but thats the only way some will listen)

hmm. So its an IPstream ISP.

The systems work in a fairly simple manner - if the number checker at
www.bt.com/broadband says there is a service available the ecommerce
tools just make it happen.

When you say "BT say this..." does that mean "The ISP said that BT
said this..." or "My mate said that the ISP said that BT said etc
etc". If the ISP has placed an order on BT it should appear against
the acount and can be checked at
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/order_tracker.php

The most likely scenario is that the ISP hasn't placed the order on
BT, or put it on the wrong number or something. If there are no issues
raised by the lne checker and there are ports availalbe it should fly
through.

The friend isn't on the low user scheme or have any other
non-technical "incompatibilities" on the line ?

You or your friend talking to "BT" is only going to confuse matters.
Escalate with the ISP, or go elsewhere if they can't deliver.

Phil