ADSL Connection ... Please HELP!!!!!!!!!

Old November 20th 04, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J Lee

Default ADSL Connection ... Please HELP!!!!!!!!!

Hello everyone,

I am from Sydney - Australia, and I currently have an ADSL broadband
connection with Telstra. My modem is D-Link DSL-302G...

There are 2 kinds of connections available, and we can use the 2 connections
at the same time for 2 computers, namely, one computer uses USB connection,
and another computer uses Ethernet connection.

However, recently, I have a problem. The problem is that only one computer
can go onto the net. If another computer is turned on and tries to go onto
the net, the ADSL connection will drop, and no computer can be on net at
all.

What is the problem? I tried to uninstall the ADSL software and modem, and
then install again for both computers, but the problem still exists....

So, if anyone knows the problem, PLEASE!!! HELP!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Lee

Old November 20th 04, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:02:19 +1100, "J Lee"
wrote:

Thanks in advance!!!

Now let me see if I can guess your OS and system specs...no, you'll
have to tell me g.
--
Cheers,

Guy

Old November 20th 04, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J Lee

Hi Dr Teeth,

My one computer that connects to USB is Windows 2000, another computer
that connects with Ethernet is Windows XP...

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Lee

Old November 20th 04, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:49:34 +1100, J Lee wrote:

Hi Dr Teeth,

My one computer that connects to USB is Windows 2000, another computer
that connects with Ethernet is Windows XP...

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Lee

It is not clear how your hardware is connected.

Do you have one PC attached to a USB port on the modem and one attached to
an ethernet port?

Does the D-Link DSL-302G claim to support concurrent USB and Ethernet
connections?

Michael Chare

Old November 20th 04, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J Lee

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your help!!

I have one ADSL modem. At the back of the modem, there are two sockets, one
is USB one is Ethernet. D-link supports these two connection to connect to
internet at the same time. Now, I have 2 computers, one computer connects to
the modem by using USB, while another computer connects to the same modem by
using ethernet. For the past few months, both computers could go on the
internet at the same time. However, since last week, only one computer can
go onto the net at one time. (ie if computer A go to net and computer B is
not connected to the net, computer A can be on net very well. And the same
for computer B, if computer B go on net but computer A is not on the net at
the same time, computer B is fine on the net also. HOWEVER, if both
computers go on net at the same time, then both computers can NOT go on net
....)

By the way, one computer runs on Windows 2000 and another computer is
Windows XP.

Thanks for your help!!!

Old November 20th 04, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 00:16:35 +1100, "J Lee"
wrote:

HOWEVER, if both
computers go on net at the same time, then both computers can NOT go on net

are both machines given IP addresses that make sense, and have the
Dlink set as default gateway ? IPCONFIG /ALL from a command prompt or
look at properties of Network Connection icon.

is this with one on USB and t'other on ethernet ? considered a 4 port
hub/switch as a workaround ?

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 20th 04, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

[...]

...)

By the way, one computer runs on Windows 2000 and another computer is
Windows XP.

I would look for an error in the configuration of the modem rather than
the PCs that are using it - since they both work fine by themselves.

If nothing else there is probably a facility to reset the hardware to the
standard factory configuration.

That is what I would try - but I have no specific knowledge of you modem.

Failing that I presume that the modem/router can support multiple devices
via ethernet, in which case I would connect both PCs using ethernet. You
might need to acquire a 10base-t (or 100base-t) hub to do this.

Alternatively you might want to consider buying a wireless modem/router.

Michael Chare
Old November 20th 04, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

[...]

You describe the DSL 302G as a modem and you are in good company, D-Link
also call it a modem
http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DSL-302G
But surly it's a modem / router isn't it?
Why do they hide their light under a bushel?

You say you have reinstalled the drivers, but have you reset the router
(sorry, modem) and reconfigured it with the settings from your ISP.

The reset button is on the rear, you have to use a paperclip etc.
Don't do this until you download and read the manual from the above website
(assuming you don't have it)

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 21st 04, 01:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:22:32 +0000, Michael Chare
wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't.

If they are set up with the same IP address, then you will get exactly
that problem.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Old November 21st 04, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Evan Joanette

It is conceivable that for a period of time, either on purpose or by
accident, your ISP was providing you more than one DSL "login". Some
companies do this by design but typically charge extra for it. Your
problems of only being able to connect one computer at a time may be
due to the removal of this feature from your internet service.

For multiple connectivity, most of us would recommend an inexpensive
router (I've had good luck with Linksys) that will give you dual (or
quadruple) access, while providing you with a security firewall.

Evan Joanette