virgin broadband

Old November 20th 04, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doug

Default virgin broadband

Hi

We are thinking of signing up with virgin broadband. It seems cheap and the
contract is done monthly which suits us. As I have several PCs that I would
like to use on the internet I would rather buy a router/modem than the
virgin starter modem that is only for one pc. Can I use any router/modem
though? I am thinking of the netgear dg834 as it has a firewall too, would
this be suitable? From my understanding of what i have read about broadband,
am I right in believing the modem plugs into existing phone sockets via a
filter? Does the filter come with the modem? If it doesn't where would i get
them?

Thanks

Old November 20th 04, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Parker

"Doug" wrote in message
Hi

We are thinking of signing up with virgin broadband. It seems cheap and the
contract is done monthly which suits us. As I have several PCs that I would
like to use on the internet I would rather buy a router/modem than the
virgin starter modem that is only for one pc. Can I use any router/modem
though? I am thinking of the netgear dg834 as it has a firewall too, would
this be suitable? From my understanding of what i have read about broadband,
am I right in believing the modem plugs into existing phone sockets via a
filter? Does the filter come with the modem? If it doesn't where would i get
them?

Thanks

Doug

I can recommend the DG834 but I cannot recommend Virgin.
Try Nildram, PlusNet or Pipex or even go to
www.adslguide.org.uk
and compare ISPs.
Don't just take my advice read what many others have to say.

The filter is there to isolate conventional Phone kit (handset,
dial up modem, fax etc.) from ADSL.
The filter(s) may or not come with the modem.

eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Old November 20th 04, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:38:42 -0000, "Doug"
wrote:

From my understanding of what i have read about broadband,
am I right in believing the modem plugs into existing phone sockets via a
filter?

maybe, but it doesn't nered to - filters are for phones, faxes, sky
boxes, caller display units etc.

Does the filter come with the modem? If it doesn't where would i get
them?

usually one or maybe two in the box, the place that selss the router
will sell them, otherwise adslnation.com etc etc

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 20th 04, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doug

What's the problem with virgin? Looking at www.adslguide.org.uk I couldn't
find anything bad about them, indeed they were listed in the top 10 fastest!

Old November 20th 04, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Big Dave

I would recommend virgin, been with them from the start and apart from
a couple of instances (during network upgrades) have found the service
to be very good. I'm using a netgear dg814 and that has been fine and
looking at the dg834 that seems quite similair.

The router plugs direct into the phone socket, any telephones, fax
machines etc need to be plugged into a filter. Your router should come
with a single filter, so if you have more than one phone you will need
additional filters.
http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/resul...se=microfilter

Andy

Old November 21st 04, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Parker

"Doug" wrote in message
What's the problem with virgin? Looking at www.adslguide.org.uk I couldn't
find anything bad about them, indeed they were listed in the top 10 fastest!

Doug

Whether I'm getting 440 or 450 kbps has never been much of an
issue for me. The biggest issue is reliability and support. Waiting
on the telephone for 30 minutes to be told you need to ring a
different number. Unanswered emails, irrelevant answers to emails
after 2 weeks waiting.
They may be better now but try out their support first if you can, and
consider what it means if an ISP consistently gets lower reliability
and Customer Service ratings.

eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Old November 21st 04, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RT

"Doug" wrote in message
What's the problem with virgin? Looking at www.adslguide.org.uk I

couldn't
find anything bad about them, indeed they were listed in the top 10

fastest!

Doug

Whether I'm getting 440 or 450 kbps has never been much of an
issue for me. The biggest issue is reliability and support. Waiting
on the telephone for 30 minutes to be told you need to ring a
different number. Unanswered emails, irrelevant answers to emails
after 2 weeks waiting.
They may be better now but try out their support first if you can, and
consider what it means if an ISP consistently gets lower reliability
and Customer Service ratings.

eric

Same experience here, I waited and waited on the line to upgrade to BB. I
walked, now with www.freeola.net whose service has been fast and reliable
and the few times I've had to phone them up I always get to speak to an
English operator in an English call centre.

BT & Virgin must be the worst.

Old November 21st 04, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

OR INSTEAD of multiple filters on each socket modify your BT Master
socket..if you have one, fit new additional master socket.
See
http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

I didnt have this more modern type so wired in one downside of the 2
main BT wires coming into black box in my loft.
Everything downline of solwise adapter now is adsl filtered except
lead running into room where adsl router is.

Old November 21st 04, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Doug wrote:
Hi

We are thinking of signing up with virgin broadband. It seems cheap and the
contract is done monthly which suits us. As I have several PCs that I would
like to use on the internet I would rather buy a router/modem than the
virgin starter modem that is only for one pc. Can I use any router/modem
though? I am thinking of the netgear dg834 as it has a firewall too, would
this be suitable? From my understanding of what i have read about broadband,
am I right in believing the modem plugs into existing phone sockets via a
filter? Does the filter come with the modem? If it doesn't where would i get
them?

Thanks

Can't comment on the ISP.
You are right to want a modem-router-firewall. DG834 is a fairly
standard example of the type. There's some poor feedback on them but
equally a lot of good. Personally I went for a Draytek 2500.

Most but not all modem-router-firewall come with at least one 'filter'.
In reality these are socket adaptors to ADSL and only a filter to the
phone socket. if you have a number of phones it is worth having a think
through how you will filter your phone equipment while keeping the path
from master to router 'live' to ADSL.
As well as sources mentioned so far, broadbandbuyer did me OK on router
and filters, and the local Maplin shop for a slave socket with ADSL and
phone outlets when I decided to tidy things up.

Were you thinking of wireless connection for the other PC's ? Probably
worth thinking it through to save running network cable all over the
house (unless you have already !).

Bill

Old November 22nd 04, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

wrote:

We are thinking of signing up with virgin broadband. It seems cheap and the
contract is done monthly which suits us. As I have several PCs that I would
like to use on the internet I would rather buy a router/modem than the
virgin starter modem that is only for one pc. Can I use any router/modem
though? I am thinking of the netgear dg834 as it has a firewall too, would
this be suitable? From my understanding of what i have read about broadband,
am I right in believing the modem plugs into existing phone sockets via a
filter? Does the filter come with the modem? If it doesn't where would i get
them?

Cannot comment on Virgin as an ISP but I also noticed them on the ADSL
speedcharts as being quite nippy and decided to have a look at the
packages they offer. Unfortunately they do not strike me as
competitive and I left feeling there were far better options out
there.

I can recommend the DG834G though. By now they should be shipping
them with firmware v1.05 pre-installed. If not upgrade to it as it is
much more stable than v1.04.01 which preceeded it. This is the most
popular unit on the market so do not be fooled by the fact there are
some complaints about - there is also a very large number of satisfied
users. I am one.

I did manage to crash mine after an uptime of 2000hrs but a quick
flick at the plug socket and its up and running again (takes about 30
seconds for a re-start).