Bulldog any good

Old November 20th 04, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Parry

Default Bulldog any good

I know Bulldog was at the forefront of LLU (local Loop Unbundling) so much
so that Cable & Wireless completely bought them as wholly owned subsidiary,
but are they any good? Does anyone reading this use Bulldog & have any
positive or negative comments re their service. I'm thinking of changing
from Pipex to save a few quid a month. So happy to stick with 512k
,uncapped,no -email,but want newsgroups access and no website censorship.

Tony P

Old November 20th 04, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MA

Tony Parry wrote:
I know Bulldog was at the forefront of LLU (local Loop Unbundling) so
much so that Cable & Wireless completely bought them as wholly owned
subsidiary, but are they any good? Does anyone reading this use
Bulldog & have any positive or negative comments re their service.
I'm thinking of changing from Pipex to save a few quid a month. So
happy to stick with 512k ,uncapped,no -email,but want newsgroups
access and no website censorship.

You get good and bad reviews of them. I have no problems myself, but take a
gander at http://www.adslguide.org.uk and see for yourself. Bulldog don't
provide a news server. If you're happy to go with a no frills ISP and get
mail and news elsewhere then give them a go.

If you do sign up, feel free to mention me, bddsl-59159 :-)

M.

Old November 20th 04, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Tony Parry" wrote in message

I know Bulldog was at the forefront of LLU (local Loop Unbundling) so
much so that Cable & Wireless completely bought them as wholly owned
subsidiary, but are they any good? Does anyone reading this use
Bulldog & have any positive or negative comments re their service.
I'm thinking of changing from Pipex to save a few quid a month. So
happy to stick with 512k ,uncapped,no -email,but want newsgroups
access and no website censorship.

Bulldog had some big problems a few months ago but seem to have put those
behind them now.

In their LLU area they offer a 4MB service (currently only Central London
though they have plans to expand) - outside this (i.e. nationwide) they only
offer 1MB and 2MB services.

I don't believe they do a 512K service any longer (perhaps unless your line
can't support 1MB).

They also don't have a newsgroup server.

However, if you are going to sign up with Bulldog would you mind quoting my
referral code -just quote "bdol 87431" when signing up online (under "How
did you hear about Bulldog?/Referred by a Friend") or if ordering by
telephone?

Regards
Sunil

Old November 20th 04, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Tony Parry" wrote in message
I know Bulldog

avoid em like the plague

Old November 20th 04, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Parry

Thanks M & Sunil if I do sign up I will mention you...I live just outside
their central London catchment ( just )so am able to order 1mb or 2mb.

Thanks also Dave but perhaps you could be a bit more constructive and
ellaborate as to why I should avoid them like the plague?

Tony P

Old November 21st 04, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Haley

If you dont rely on your adsl then they provide great value for money for
the 4mb service BUT and it is a big BUT their customer service is truly
appalling. They are trying to improve but arent there yet. If you have a
problem then it can take weeks and a lot of waiting in a support queue to
get it resolved. The LLU service is definately more stable than the 1/2mb
service which some people have a lot of trouble with. Personaly I am on the
4mb service which when it runs runs well but was down at dialup speed back
in oct for over 3 weeks. I have yet to have an email answered by CS....
I know that a lot of LLU customners have been very unhappy and many have
suceeded in breaking their contracts and are headed elsewhere.

I realy would reccomend that you read the Bulldog Forum to get an idea of
what you might be getting into. I am sure there are a lot of very happy BD
customers and that the forum may well represent a very vocal minority but if
you do have a problem then it will turn out to be difficult to fix due to
their CS.

Personally I am now very happy but I cant with all honesty reccomend them
until their CS show great improvements. In addition you will get no
newsgroups or email or webspace.
Their cheapest service is the 1mb @ 30 basic cost which must be more than
you are currently paying pipex. In the past I have recomended both Pipex &
Plusnet and have never felt worried because in both cases their CS is
effective. If you are looking to save money Plusnet is cheaper than BD and
reputedly the support is better.

rgds
Stephen

Old November 21st 04, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Tony Parry" wrote
snip....
Thanks also Dave but perhaps you could be a bit more constructive and
ellaborate as to why I should avoid them like the plague?

Tony P

Sure, sorry im sure others would have said why by now, but click and read
these......
http://tinyurl.co.uk/wctb
http://tinyurl.co.uk/ye38

if they dont convince you, then click these and read through the various
unhappy peeps messages....
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...&Board=bulldog
Im sure you will then see why i said avoid em lie the plague.

Old November 21st 04, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Troy Tempest

"Tony Parry" wrote in message
I know Bulldog was at the forefront of LLU (local Loop Unbundling) so much
so that Cable & Wireless completely bought them as wholly owned subsidiary,
but are they any good? Does anyone reading this use Bulldog & have any
positive or negative comments re their service. I'm thinking of changing
from Pipex to save a few quid a month. So happy to stick with 512k
,uncapped,no -email,but want newsgroups access and no website censorship.

Tony P

I'm on their 2mb service.

Personally I've had little or no probs over the past year apart from when
Cable and Wireless took over in September and I had a few days of
intermittent down time.But they've since sorted themselves out and checking
my (Netgear DG 843g) router logs, I've had 39 days uninterrupted service.

This is the speed test results from www.adslguide.org.uk

Testing downstream speed...
Downloaded 1572864 bytes in 6722ms (1828 kbps)
Testing upstream speed...
Uploaded 153333 bytes in 4956ms (241 kbps)

Speed: 1828 kbps (down), 241 kbps (up)

This is with two PCs on a network accessing the net.

For newsgroups I use News.Individual.Net. a free service you can use with
Outlook or whatever.

Neil

Old November 21st 04, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Parry

Thanks guys. I've had dealings with C&W in the past & most of what they get
their hands on seems to turn to crap these days. So for now I will stick
with Pipex with whom I've not had a problem in over 18mths. Its certainly
doesn't appear to worth the hassle of changing ISP to save a couple of quid
a month.
Isn't life strange because when I was with BT dial-up they offered me free
upgrade to broadband for 39.99 this was back in October 2001which of course
I accepted and was only 512k. Now 3 yrs on 39.99 will get you an awful lof
of bandwidth,but has customer service and reliability from any of the
smaller players improved along with the speed??

TonyP