BT Contact No. Reqd

Old November 21st 04, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Idler

Default BT Contact No. Reqd

Hi

Trying to get my telephone line 'freed-up' after a disastorous near miss with
Tesco Broadband. Basically I signed up to their BB offering then decided to
cancel my registration, after many weeks trying my registration has finally
been cancelled. Now I'm left with (accordinging to my new prospective BB ISP -
Demon) with ADSL on my line which means the (Demon) cannot do anything to get
me up and running.

Does anyone have a contact number (preferably in the UK!) within BT who might
be able to sort this out?

Thanks in anticipation.
Old November 21st 04, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tx2

In article , cmcdowell876
@aol.com, a.k.a Idler says...

Trying to get my telephone line 'freed-up' after a disastorous near miss with
Tesco Broadband. Basically I signed up to their BB offering then decided to
cancel my registration, after many weeks trying my registration has finally
been cancelled. Now I'm left with (accordinging to my new prospective BB ISP -
Demon) with ADSL on my line which means the (Demon) cannot do anything to get
me up and running

Manual instruction from Demon to BT should do it
Old November 21st 04, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 21 Nov 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Tx2 wrote:

Manual instruction from Demon to BT should do it

No guarantee of that. When I spoke to BT Wholesale, they explained they
would only take notice of their customer, not me but the ISP (which had
failed to cease the ADSL service for 3 months). Getting some other ISP
to speak to BT Wholesale might (a) get the same reaction from BT W, ie
for this line, you aren't our customer, so we won't talk to you, and/or
(b) sour relations with BT W, so the ISP might prefer not to bother.

The difficulty is having three parties, and the person at home having
no way to force BT Wholesale to act on his behalf, when he is deemed to
not be the customer, yet it is this line which is undoubtedly affected !

FWIW, when I spoke to 99% of Freeserve staff they said "You have no ADSL
account with us, so we have already ceased it". The other 1% was the guy
who took notice, listened to the details, and checked some other system.

My guess is that NTL failed to put the cease through to BT Wholesale and
have left the line in limbo, with their systems claiming it isn't used,
while BTW *will* be billing them for it, and blocking any other use.

(For the OP, NTL 'manages' the ISP side of the Tesco.Net service, but I
use the term 'manages' very loosely.) Peter Morgan.

Old November 21st 04, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:20:23 +0000, Peter M
wrote:

When I spoke to BT Wholesale, they explained they
would only take notice of their customer,

I suggest you call BTW back, and inform them that unless they check it
out properly, you will cease your BT line as you will have no other
choice. Then phone 'normal' BT and tell them the same thing, but
mention that you're doing it specifically because BTW won't do a
proper check. And make it clear that you regard them to be in the
wrong, so they can whistle for any outstanding payments they may
imagine you owe.

not me but the ISP (which had
failed to cease the ADSL service for 3 months).

I take it you've ceased payments to the idiot ISP? If this doesn't
work, then send them a printed letter, stating that they're
obstructing your lawful business and unless they cease and desist you
will begin action against them. This has worked for me in the past.
All they need to do is re-instruct BTW to cease supply on the line.

while BTW *will* be billing them for it, and blocking any other use.

If BTW are billing them for it, then mentioning to BTW that you plan
to cease the line will cause a revenue stream to vanish. This will
probably cause some fingers to be removed from derrieres.

Old November 22nd 04, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:43:24 GMT, Mark McIntyre
wrote:

And make it clear that you regard them to be in the
wrong, so they can whistle for any outstanding payments they may
imagine you owe.

then enjoy the conversation with the debt collection agency and the
future without a BT phone line ?

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 22nd 04, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

wrote:

And make it clear that you regard them to be in the
wrong, so they can whistle for any outstanding payments they may
imagine you owe.

then enjoy the conversation with the debt collection agency

Or enjoy the conversation with BT's claims settlements dept when they
give you a cheque for costs and damages following the court case.

What precisely would they pursue you for? Non payment of a bill on a
line that didn't provide the service they contracted to provide?

and the future without a BT phone line ?

Don't have one anyway :-)

Old November 22nd 04, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:16:33 GMT, Mark McIntyre
wrote:

What precisely would they pursue you for? Non payment of a bill on a
line that didn't provide the service they contracted to provide?

non-payment of the bill for a voice line they did provide. Clear
breach of contract.

"9.You agree to pay all charges for the service, whether you use it or
someone else does, and as soon as you receive your bill. In some
cases, you may need to pay a deposit as security for paying your
bills."

The end user has no contract for supply of broadband, that's between
them and the ISP and the ISP and BT Wholesale.

Phil
Old November 23rd 04, 08:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Idler

Now sorted, Demon processing my order. I have confirmed with Tesco (Sh!t)
Broadband that I owe neither them or BT any money. They were in breach of
contract, they failed to deliver their T&C's.

Thanks for the interest/comments/tips.
Old November 23rd 04, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

wrote:

What precisely would they pursue you for? Non payment of a bill on a
line that didn't provide the service they contracted to provide?

non-payment of the bill for a voice line they did provide. Clear
breach of contract.

However the fact is, a wholly owned subsidiary of BT is preventing me,
by act or omission, from going about my lawful business. /Thats/
illegal, if you like. The contract is shredder-fodder by force
majeure.

The end user has no contract for supply of broadband, that's between
them and the ISP and the ISP and BT Wholesale.

Indeed. However they use equipment one is paying rental for viz the
line. And since one has instructed my ISP to cease the DSL, they're
doing it without permission.

Normally this sort of thing is covered by wayleaves (utility companies
have to have them to dig up your drive). To the best of my knowledge
ones contact with BT (and I'm with ntl so I can't check) doesn't have
a wayleave allowing BTW to use it. Either BTW is a separate company,
in which case they need a wayleave, or they're not, in which case one
has a contract with them...

Ah, the fun the lawyers could have with it eh?