Lost connection 20 days ago and Tiscali do not seem to be sorting it!!! - Help

Old November 21st 04, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Foley

Default Lost connection 20 days ago and Tiscali do not seem to be sorting it!!! - Help

After several months of trouble free broadband connection via Tiscali, I
lost my connection on November 2. I connect via a LAN connection to a
Speedtouch 530 router. The router diagnostics show that it cannot recognise
a DSL present. I have done all the checks Tiscali suggested including
changing leads, filters, disconnecting all phones and connecting to the
master socket - I even did this with a different computer. The router still
showed no dsl line.

I have called Tiscali multiple times (an Indian call centre I believe) They
call BT and say it will be OK in 2 days and they will update me in 2 days.
After them not fixing it or updating me on 3 occasions I am getting
desperate. I now have little faith in them. They say it is a BT problem
(on one occasion they said exchange maintenance and on another they said the
line compatibility test failed).

Can anyone suggest how I get these people off their backsides and sort my
connection out. As far as I can work out there seems to be no service
standards that Tiscali or BT have to meet, meanwhile I have had to pay for
dial up for the last 20 days whilst also paying for non working broadband.
With Tiscali and BT getting paid twice for my internet use it difficult to
understand their incentive to resolve my problem!

Thanks,

Bob

Old November 21st 04, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Seddon

"Bob Foley" wrote in message
[...]

Don't expect "Tiscali" (Spit Spit) to do anything but take your money, I'm
with them but had I read the guides first I would not have gone with them.
Their tech support read from scripts so you do the necessary knowing it wont
work but they wont progress you call if you dont. Most problems I've had
have sorted themselves out after a couple of days, except their news service
which only lets you access it once a day at full speed the any other
attempts are very very slow!! and not all posts reach their server!!! I now
use individual.net for news without any trouble. I've also heard that theyre
a bitch to cancel, as you pay by credit card once theyve got your number
you're theres for life.

Peter.

Old November 21st 04, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

Peter Seddon wrote:
I've also heard that theyre
a bitch to cancel, as you pay by credit card once theyve got your number
you're theres for life.

Peter.

If you say you have lost your card you will be issued with a new number.
When I last genuinely lost a card I had to manually re-instate any
standing orders I had. Don't know if they do this automatically now or
if is an option. Might be way of clearing sticky fingers from your card.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old November 21st 04, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Seddon

Don't know if they do this automatically now or if is an option. Might be
way of clearing sticky fingers from your card.

--
Regards

David G

Thought of that one and next time the service goes tits up I'll do it, as
yet I've been OK

Peter.

Old November 21st 04, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Bob Foley" wrote in message
After several months of trouble free broadband connection via Tiscali, I
lost my connection on November 2. I connect via a LAN connection to a
Speedtouch 530 router. The router diagnostics show that it cannot recognise
a DSL present. I have done all the checks Tiscali suggested including
changing leads, filters, disconnecting all phones and connecting to the
master socket - I even did this with a different computer. The router still
showed no dsl line.

I would suggest testing your line with an alternative modem. (or testing the
modem on an alternative line just to be sure that it works.) There was talk
about adslguide keeping a spare modem which they would lend out for testing
purposes. Alternatively, maybe something 2nd hand from ebay.

Michael Chare

Old November 21st 04, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

There was talk
about adslguide keeping a spare modem which they would lend out for

testing
purposes.

Eh,
Just the one?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 22nd 04, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Graham" wrote in message ...

There was talk
about adslguide keeping a spare modem which they would lend out for

testing
purposes.

Eh,
Just the one?

I you are interested I suggest that you contact them directly.

Michael Chare

Old November 24th 04, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Foley

I have managed to connect the modem up to a neighbours broadband line. The
diagnostics on the router could see the dsl with no problem. hooked it back
up at home and the router cannot see the dsl. Seems to point to BT who I
can't talk to directly - seems to be a bit of a catch 22! Any further
ideas? My only remaining idea is to go to the companies house web site and
get the directors home addresses ( a reasonable 2.50 charge) and write to
them there to see if that generates action.

Bob