Sharing broadband with 5 computers, cheapest way

Old November 21st 04, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
t r newmark

Default Sharing broadband with 5 computers, cheapest way

I was hoping somebody could help. I've been trying to work out exactly
what I need but I'm just becoming more bewildered! We're going to
connect our student house to broadband soon but we don't know what
exactly we need to share the connection.

Being students we'd like to do it the cheapest way possible. Preferably
we'd like to share five connections but can you get 5-port routers and
are they very much more expensive? We think that a wired network would
be cheaper but again, please correct me if this is wrong. Could anybody
recommend a good, cheap router that'll do the job without too much
hassle, as none of us are particularly great with computers.

Also, a monthly connection, for example Virgin, looks like the best
possible option, or are there other better providers with montly contracts.

Finally, just to let you know our hardware. We have two very new
desktop computers, two laptops and two quite old desktop computers
(probably one is too old to actually work with broadband, but I don't
know). Do we need any other kind of network cards or should we have
them already?

The problem is that I seem to be bogged down with all the terminology,
we really just need a simple, cheap way of sharing broadband!

Thanks for any help, I have looked at adslguide.org.uk but am still very
confused!

Regards

Tom
Old November 21st 04, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"t r newmark" wrote in message
[...]

If there is no network card in a PC you will have to fit one.

You will need a router. I haven't seen a 5 port one but you can plug a
cheap switch into a 1 or 4 port router to get more ports.

Wired or wireless is up to you and your budget.

Old November 21st 04, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Cole

In article ,
"Alastair" wrote:

"t r newmark" wrote in message
[...]

wireless shouldn't be too much more expensive, you can get a decent
wirelless router with built in ADSL modem for around 60-70. That will
have four wired ports that the four desktop computers could connect to
as long as they have ethernet cards or could have ethernet cards added.
You could then get wireless cards for the laptops which could then share
the connection through the wireless router as well.... obviously you
could put wireless cards into the desktops, but there probably isn't
much point as they aren't likely to be very portable anyway.

As far as the actual ISP goes, theres lots to choose from. Take a look
at adslguide to make a decision. I've recently signed up with Plusnets
1MB connection (see link in my sig file) and they seem OK so far...
Support has been OK as well when BT messed something up Plusnet told me
how to sort it out in no time.

Have fun.
Al.

--
Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]
Old November 21st 04, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
t r newmark

Alan Cole wrote:
In article ,
"Alastair" wrote:

"t r newmark" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Al,

Thanks very much for the advice. Could you recommend any wireless
modems/routers. I had a look at dabs and there was one for around 50
quid which included a laptop card, is this likely to be rubbish? When I
searched for it on google it seemed to say that 11g was a problem, is
this correct?

Cheers

Tom
Old November 21st 04, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Cole

Hi Al,

Thanks very much for the advice. Could you recommend any wireless
modems/routers. I had a look at dabs and there was one for around 50
quid which included a laptop card, is this likely to be rubbish? When I
searched for it on google it seemed to say that 11g was a problem, is
this correct?

Cheers

Tom

I can't really make too many recommendations as I've only bought and
used one (A Belkin from eBuyer.co.uk). 11g is just the latest (and
faster) wireless standard protocol, 11b was the previous one.

11g = up to 54MBps
11b = up to 11MBps

However, your broadband connection will likely only be a 1Mb connection
so the 11b standard will be fine as the speed will be limited by the
ADSL connection rather than the wireless connection. If you intend to
share data wirelessly between the various computers in the wireless
network then the 11g standard will of course be quicker. (Assuming all
computers have an 11g compatible card).

the one I have is 11g compliant and I haven't had any problems, I'm not
sure what problems you have heard about.

Quite a few places do wireless routers with a laptop card as a package.
I didn't come across any particualr brands to avoid in my research when
buying a wireless router... Just make sure that it has an integral ADSL
modem as many are just wireless routers.

HTH.

Al.

Old November 21st 04, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , t r newmark
writes
Thanks for any help, I have looked at adslguide.org.uk but am still very
confused!

Regards

Tom

10Mbit 10-base2 out of a Smoothwall box.

--
robert w hall
Old November 21st 04, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nat Stott

Being students we'd like to do it the cheapest way possible. Preferably
we'd like to share five connections but can you get 5-port routers and
are they very much more expensive? We think that a wired network would
be cheaper but again, please correct me if this is wrong. Could anybody
recommend a good, cheap router that'll do the job without too much
hassle, as none of us are particularly great with computers.

Some cheap 4-port ADSL routers also have a USB connection. My conexant
CA64-E has this, I think that all four ports and the usb will work at the
same time.

The one port version was reviewed on dslguide
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware.../amx-ca61e.asp

which says you can use both at once.

Old November 21st 04, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Seddon

"Alan Cole" wrote in message

[...]

I'm using a Netgear DG834G, not used the wireless bit yet though but it
works fine and was a piece of cake to set up. Simply have an offer of one
with a free laptop card.

Peter.

Old November 21st 04, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:22:12 +0000, t r newmark
wrote:

Alan Cole wrote:
In article ,

snip

Thanks very much for the advice. Could you recommend any wireless
modems/routers. I had a look at dabs and there was one for around 50
quid which included a laptop card, is this likely to be rubbish?

What make? And that may be 50 + VAT.

I use a 3Com that I bought (with a free laptop card) from misco
(www.misco.co.uk) a few weeks ago. I have been very happy with its
performance so far.

When I
searched for it on google it seemed to say that 11g was a problem, is
this correct?

No.

11g is the latest standard, and a large majority of those sold
nowadays use it. If you are getting a 512K connection, and not sharing
data between the computers, then you probably don't need it, and the
cheap one on Dabs may only be 802.11b.

If any of the computers that will be using wireless are going to be a
long way from the router, with several walls between, then you may
want the faster router, because the speed will drop off dramatically
in that situation.

You will find, BTW, that if the laptops are recent, they probably have
wireless built in (although not all do, even now), so they may not
need a card. The recent desktop machines will almost certainly have an
ethernet port built in too, but the older ones may not have.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
One way to stop a run away horse is to bet on him.

Old November 21st 04, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

Get a 4 port wireless router Tom;
good deals at
www.binatonebroadband.com

Connect up to 4 via lan cable into computers with ethernet port.

Others wirlessly via USB or plug in wireless (WAN) cards.

On providers also try PLUSNET.