Hey PlusNet bad boys

Old November 22nd 04, 12:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mj

Default Hey PlusNet bad boys

just an idea when you get moved to the bad boys pipe and things start
to slow down ,hammer the adslguide speed test, ok so it wont get you
any extra speed but as plusnet slide down the speed table it may make
you feel better

power to the people

Old November 22nd 04, 01:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"mj" wrote in message
just an idea when you get moved to the bad boys pipe and things start
to slow down ,hammer the adslguide speed test, ok so it wont get you
any extra speed but as plusnet slide down the speed table it may make
you feel better

power to the people

Yeah and atleast it will possibly stop them being a finalist for more
awards

Old November 22nd 04, 09:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Parker

"mj" wrote in message
just an idea when you get moved to the bad boys pipe and things start
to slow down ,hammer the adslguide speed test, ok so it wont get you
any extra speed but as plusnet slide down the speed table it may make
you feel better

power to the people

mj

It may just be the other way round.
The 99.7%, curious about whether it's made a difference, go off to
adslguide.

eric
--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Old November 22nd 04, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:41:38 +0000, mj wrote:

just an idea when you get moved to the bad boys pipe and things start
to slow down ,hammer the adslguide speed test, ok so it wont get you
any extra speed but as plusnet slide down the speed table it may make
you feel better

power to the people

Good idea - but it only shows up in the monthly speed table. For
reasons that I have completely failed to understand the ISP comparison
graphs are taken from completely different data - presumably compiled
from the "rate your ISP" page where people are asked if they think
there ISP is fast or not. For example in Sept Virgin, which came 2nd
in the speed tests is actually rated lower for speed than Demon, which
came 9th. Details below for anyone that cares.

As an example I checked the speed table from Sept and then took the
ISP's 1-6 ISPs from it and compared them to each other on the speed
comparison (you can only compare up to 6 ISP's).

From speed table / (From speed table) / (From ISP comparison charts)
1. Zen (1) / (1)
2. Virgin (2) / (6)
3. Nildram (3) / (3)
4. Pipex (4) / (5)
5. Plusnet (5) / (4)
6. Eclipse (6) / (2)

So I kept Pipex and Virgin and then added the four ISP's that made up
positions 7-10 in the speed table (BT, F2S, Demon & AOL respectively)
and compared again.

The order should be:

Virgin (ranked 2) should be (1 in this group) but is (4 in this group)
Pipex (4) should be (2) and is (2)
BT (7) should be (3) but (5)
F2S (8) should be (4) but is (1)
Demon (9) should be (5) but is (3)
AOL (10) should be (6) and is (6)
Old November 22nd 04, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Jones

Good idea - but it only shows up in the monthly speed table. For
reasons that I have completely failed to understand the ISP
comparison graphs are taken from completely different data -
presumably compiled from the "rate your ISP" page

Which makes sense, really. Look at how close all the ISP's on the Top 10
Fastest list are -- it's pretty much just down to random monthly variation,
there's nothing in it at all. Anyone choosing an ISP based on that Fastest
ISPs table would be stupid.

Old November 22nd 04, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 22 Nov 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Simon Pleasants wrote:

Good idea - but it only shows up in the monthly speed table.

While being in the "top 10" might impress some, I am unsure from
month to month which ISPs are "in" and which "out" and knowing a
small difference (1 to 2%) usually accounts for the spread from
being #1 to #10, I wonder what speeds those in the next 10 have
reached, just too slow to be listed, but more than adequate for
genenral use. Anyway, if there was a slightly lower speed shown
for Plus.Net, I don't know whether it would have much effect - it
takes more than a few 'horror stories' to impact any ISP, and even
though many in u.t.b would not recommend AOL because of its history
there are some who feel it worth using nevertheless :-) Peter M.
--
com/org/info/biz domains as low as $8.00/year
com/org/info/biz transfers give 12 month extension

See http://www.vfm-deals.com/ for .co.uk at under 7 quid !
Old November 23rd 04, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P.Rich

"Peter M" wrote in message
news
On 22 Nov 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Simon Pleasants wrote:

Good idea - but it only shows up in the monthly speed table.

While being in the "top 10" might impress some, I am unsure from
month to month which ISPs are "in" and which "out" and knowing a
small difference (1 to 2%) usually accounts for the spread from
being #1 to #10, I wonder what speeds those in the next 10 have
reached, just too slow to be listed, but more than adequate for
genenral use. Anyway, if there was a slightly lower speed shown
for Plus.Net, I don't know whether it would have much effect - it
takes more than a few 'horror stories' to impact any ISP, and even
though many in u.t.b would not recommend AOL because of its history
there are some who feel it worth using nevertheless :-) Peter M.

Persoanly, I would prefer to see the whole list ranked and printed, with a
much smaller entrance threshold.

Personaly, I don't care who is Top10. I am after consistancy.

A ISP in 30th place could be better than the one in 8th place, is that
provider stayed at 30th, whereas the 8th place holder could be up and down
from 8th to 19th, like a yoyo.

Old November 23rd 04, 12:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:41:38 +0000, mj wrote:

just an idea when you get moved to the bad boys pipe and things start
to slow down ,hammer the adslguide speed test, ok so it wont get you
any extra speed but as plusnet slide down the speed table it may make
you feel better

Nice one!
--
Cheers,

Guy

Old November 23rd 04, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Wild

mj wrote:
just an idea when you get moved to the bad boys pipe and things start
to slow down ,hammer the adslguide speed test, ok so it wont get you
any extra speed but as plusnet slide down the speed table it may make
you feel better

power to the people

Hi,

I think really, Seb from AG would be the better person to provide a
response to this, but I would suggest that the vast majority of our
customers should find a positive effect from the work we are doing.

We have been very open, honest and fair about this exercise - Much more
so than other ISPs who are trying to deal with the same problem. We have
offered all customers who will be affected a number of options which we
think should ensure that both sides can work towards an amicable
solution. If you are as unhappy as your post suggests, do feel free to
get in touch with me by email ) and I will be happy to
discuss this with you further.

Regards,

Ian